I'm extremely arrogant. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I'm extremely arrogant.

I'm 22 and literally have no contact outside of my family. Other than my severe fear of social situations, I also have this insane arrogance.

Every person I meet,I think I'm better than. More intelligent for the most part.

I honestly think that I'm smarter than 95% of the people out there, and nearly every one I meet. I can't help it. I'm not outwardly arrogant, I'm smart enough to know to act modest, but on the inside I find myself making fun of people.

Usually this means that I find every person I meet to be a waste of time. I don't want to hang out with some moron, or date some girl who I can't have an intelligent conversation with.

I don't think it's something I can really fix aside from some severe head trauma knocking me back a few notches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 12:44 PM
SAS Member

good comping mechnaisme ore else you should feel like you inferior to other people ... and I think the your coping mechanisme is the best
post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:49 PM
SAS Member

I have the same problem, i feel i have to 'dumb myself down' to be able to adapt to social situations, otherwise i will struggle to fit in.

I know im smarter and more knowledgeable than most people i meet, yet that doesnt stop people looking down on me. And for that reason i can swing from superiority complex to inferiority complex at the drop of a hat.

post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 03:40 PM
RJF
SAS Member

I find myself wondering why you've made this thread. Did you make it because you view your narcissistic complex as something unhealthy, or did you make it so that others would affirm your world view? Your statement about how you don't believe that you can "fix" this problem would lead me to believe the former of the two suggested possibilities; please correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course, your apparent unwillingness to change is demonstrated by that comment as well. You're so far above the rest of us that the only way you'd be able to get along with people is by suffering some sort of severe trauma to the brain? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're deluding yourself. Quite a bit, in fact.

One of the symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder (NPD for short) is having an unfaltering belief in your own abilities without having any experiences to back said belief up. You claim to be so intelligent, yet I ask you - what have you contributed to the world? What advances have you spurred forth in the fields of science, art, music or literature?

So far as I'm aware, you have no evidence to support your claims of superior intelligence. Even taking an IQ test and being certified as a genius gives you no right to look down upon the world - there's millions of people who qualify to join Mensa and other high-IQ societies. If you're so dissatisfied with ordinary people, go and visit the Mensa website, pay the fees, take an IQ test, and associate yourself with people who would be more at your level. Assuming that you'd even qualify to join.

With no ground to stand on except your own admitted arrogance, where do you get off espousing superiority over 95% of the population? What makes you so special? Honestly.

If you haven't done anything to prove your intellectual worth, then there's no use in believing in it. Narcissistic personality disorder (I'm using that as a reference; this is the Internet, and I can't diagnose somebody I've never met) affects a relatively large portion of the worldwide human population, and virtually all of those affected think the exact same way as you. That they're better than everybody, or at least better than *most* everybody. And, you know, they're just taking a guess that there's people out there who are more intelligent, more beautiful, or more talented than them. They haven't actually been able to find anybody that fits the criteria. But still.

I'm sure you have reasons for feeling the way that you do. I'm sure that you go through each and every day struggling to hold a conversation, simply because the majority of us simians are unfit to be in your presence.

Seriously. Social ineptitude does not equate to unparalleled genius and/or brilliance. It only translates to you having an inability to carry on a conversation.

In conjunction with your isolation, you're building up a a wall against the world (and hiding behind it). Rather than confronting your demons, you've decided to lie to yourself, reassuring your conscience that you're only the way that you are because other people made you that way. To be honest, you're not doing much more than putting on a show to conceal your deep-rooted sense of inferiority.

To reiterate, go out into the world, meet more people. That's the best chance of overcoming your particular personality quirk. Chances are, you'll eventually find somebody you respect. Maybe that respect can be spread around to be all-inclusive.
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:40 PM
SAS Member

I don't think I'm smarter than most people. My problem is being morally judgemental, which is ironic since I believe that free will is an illusion. I'm convinced that most people lack the most basic empathy skills, if they're not outright cruel and malicious, they're thoughtless and inconsiderate. How other people justify their behavior in their minds is beyond me.
post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Too School for Cool

Just so you're aware, arrogance is a huge turnoff for a large number of females.

- I'mma be the syrup she can be my waffle.
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:51 PM
SAS Member

Perfectionist, RJF,

He's just venting. It's how he feels. He recognizes that there's something wrong with thinking he's better than other people, that's why he started the thread.

He can't snap his fingers and magically stop feeling the way he does.
post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
I would be the other way round

If you're not part of the freaks, you're part of the boredom.

What other people think of you is none of your business
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 05:50 PM
RJF
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropic View Post
Perfectionist, RJF,

He's just venting. It's how he feels. He recognizes that there's something wrong with thinking he's better than other people, that's why he started the thread.

I wouldn't care nearly as much if it didn't seem like he were trying to justify all of it.

Admitting there's something wrong is one thing.
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
I wouldn't care nearly as much if it didn't seem like he were trying to justify all of it.

Admitting there's something wrong is one thing.
It didn't bother me because I thought it was probably a defense mechanism.
post #11 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthropic View Post
Perfectionist, RJF,

Pretty much.

I posted a problem that I see in myself. It's what this forum is for and people post threads like this every day with various personality traits other than arrogance. I don't know why he seemed to be offended by it.

And to the person who said arrogance is a turnoff. I know, I'm not outwardly arrogant, quite the opposite. I know that acting humble is generally a good way to get people to like/trust you. So I do that. In my head, however, I'm thinking the complete opposite/
post #12 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 PM
RJF
SAS Member

Right; all I did was what somebody should have done to me a long time ago.

Once upon a time, I wasn't that much different from you. That's probably why I seemed offended. Issues close to the heart tend to bring out either the best or the worst in people, although in this instance all you got was a slightly emotional me.

I changed (a lot), but I ruined a lot of things by thinking that I was better than other people.
post #13 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:57 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
I know I'm more intelligent (in the way measured by IQ tests) than the vast majority of people I meet, but I don't think that makes me "better" than they are. I don't think intelligence is the sole or main determinant of worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
You claim to be so intelligent, yet I ask you - what have you contributed to the world? What advances have you spurred forth in the fields of science, art, music or literature?
When I was 15, my therapist gave me a letter of advice she'd received regarding another patient she'd had. It began, "So he's got a high I.Q. So what? Nobody but his Mommy and Daddy cares."

Quote:
To reiterate, go out into the world, meet more people. That's the best chance of overcoming your particular personality quirk. Chances are, you'll eventually find somebody you respect. Maybe that respect can be spread around to be all-inclusive.
"Let him get his butt whipped now and then by individuals with skills other than his own, enough that his superiority and arrogance are attenuated."
post #14 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
SAS Member

totally, i mean everyone is really judgmental. even if they know you are way smarter than them, they will judge you for being less fashionable, or less cool, or less part of their 'subculture', etc... people always find some criteria to judge worth where they stack up favorably, and then apply that in their lives. i think it just means u have to go try to find different people in new places and search harder for people who aren't going to judge you and are more compatible with you on whatever level you are looking for.. dont be discouraged!
post #15 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeros View Post
Usually this means that I find every person I meet to be a waste of time. I don't want to hang out with some moron, or date some girl who I can't have an intelligent conversation with.
Have you been to college? Believe me, there are plenty of girls like you who have this complex you're describing. One of my project partners was extremely arrogant with me for not being up to par with her ...School is FILLED with these girls....

Oh wait...there's you're problem
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeros View Post
I'm 22 and literally have no contact outside of my family.
But if you look you will find plenty
post #16 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Permanently Banned

let me see... who have i come across with that i think is smarter than myself?

no one... this is you being born in the wrong place. donít make yourself feel like you need to lower your standards just so you can fit in with the rest. no. donít lower your standards just might be living in the wrong place. it will pay off eventually. the people who see you as weird right now will be working for you in the future. donít, ever, lower yourself down to fit in. for any female.

there is such a thing as being smarter than other people. forget them, think about yourself only. the other people are only thinking about them selves anyway.

just think about your future, and when you have the money and stability, you can lower your intelligence down and get along with the less intelligent. i know it sounds cruel and inhumane, but is the truth.

unless you want to get along with people who you think are lower than you than loose yourself, loose your future, and change your core beliefs.

money makes the world go round plain and simple.

what are your goals in life? ignore the rest. once you start making money the rest become slaves... it is true. sometimes it is ok not to have friends cus friend are needy. they take your energy and are stingy.

when have you noticed a friend that wants to help you? no where.

it is ok to feel this way. keep going forward. friends are nothing special.

if you need someone to talk to, manipulate. it's the truth. but you will need a second half.

i need another drink though.
post #17 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Permanently Banned

let me think back when i was a teen...

a lot of "mature" people use to tell me that it was not ok to fight, but they never told me it was ok to defend myself.

a lot of people use to tell me that it was not ok to make fun of people but they never told me that it was ok defend myself from these bullies.

i don't know what made me not follow the "advice" from these mature people but i just followed my heart. it ended up showing that my heart was right than the "advice".

it is complicated but the world is not paradise. one needs to make it.

just follow your core beliefs... females or "friends" are a dime a dozen. that is if you can handle the journey. if not, never mind.
post #18 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 PM
SAS Member

mrfixit, your thinking is very disturbing :\
post #19 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Permanently Banned

^ yeah cus you are a female, young, and materialistic.
post #20 of 121 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
no. don’t lower your standards just might be living in the wrong place. it will pay off eventually. the people who see you as weird right now will be working for you in the future. don’t, ever, lower yourself down to fit in. for any female.
Quote:
there is such a thing as being smarter than other people. forget them, think about yourself only. the other people are only thinking about them selves anyway.

Quote:

what are your goals in life? ignore the rest. once you start making money the rest become slaves... it is true. sometimes it is ok not to have friends cus friend are needy. they take your energy and are stingy.

when have you noticed a friend that wants to help you? no where.

it is ok to feel this way. keep going forward. friends are nothing special.

if you need someone to talk to, manipulate. it's the truth. but you will need a second half.

i need another drink though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post

a lot of people use to tell me that it was not ok to make fun of people but they never told me that it was ok defend myself from these bullies.

i don't know what made me not follow the "advice" from these mature people but i just followed my heart. it ended up showing that my heart was right than the "advice".

it is complicated but the world is not paradise. one needs to make it.

just follow your core beliefs... females or "friends" are a dime a dozen. that is if you can handle the journey. if not, never mind.

I am really sorry if you were bullied in the past, but this is not how reality is. It makes me very sad actually, that some people have come to this point in their lives...The OP was talking about arrogance, which I can relate to, I am a narcissist myself, but you are in a whole other dimension.

There is nothing greater than true friendship in this world.

I'm a bit confused..you just called me materialistic, but know nothing of me, and yet your whole post talks of money and success???

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page