I got diagnosed with BPD the other day. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow

I got diagnosed with BPD the other day.

Not sure how I feel about it. The psychiatrist doesn't want me on medication either, which I am not happy about. Ah well.

Anyone else here with BPD? Do you take medication for it?

In frenzied excitement he eats up the ground; he cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 PM
SAS Member

It's been a few days since you started this topic, are you feeling any particular way toward it? i.e. perhaps you agree and think the diagnosis is correct or you don't. I'd possibly go into detail with your psychiatrist about medications, why do they not want you on medication is something you need to know. Possibly worth getting a second opinion also? however I'd speak to others who have BPD as well to look at their experiences with therapies and medications, maybe it is worth trying the psychforum too

http://www.psychforums.com/borderline-personality/
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:42 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
Honestly, you are only 18 years old and BPD is tricky to diagnose with somebody so young. I would get a second opinion.

I have also been diagnosed with BPD. My psychiatrist doesn't want me on medication, either. I think that's fine, unless you need it. Which I do, for other things not related to BPD. He doesn't seem to understand that.

I think the reason doctors are so unsure of prescribing medication for BPD is that the disorder itself is very unpredictable and your reactions to medications may also be unpredictable, or even make things worse. But depending on your symptoms, mood stabilizers or antipsychotics have been proven to help a little. DBT is the preferred treatment. My psychiatrist swears by it, but I don't like the idea of group therapy. Or the idea that BPD is my only problem.

Ugh. It's this huge mess, actually. Good luck and I hope you can get the help you need.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page