I feel like drinking again - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I feel like drinking again

i don't know where to post this. I wonder if there are any other people like me who ended up having a drinking problem because of sa. I had other issues as well. But long story short I quit drinking many many many moons ago. Since then I have not been able to get close to anyone. That side of me shut down. I find myself really lonely and feeling like drinking just to blot it out. I am sick of the constant rumination and feeling bad, not being able to conquer my sleep problems. financial problems, yada yada. I just sometimes want to get a buzz and feel good. and be frisky. Alcohol makes me feel like socializing. Am I really going to go the rest of my life with never having any real fun and flirting with men. I feel like I am going to be alone the rest of my life. I slipped a couple years ago and drank when I went out to this fancy restaurant with a bunch of people. Before the words came out haltingly and I was uptight and tense. After a few drinks everything flowed and I felt warm and fuzzy towards everyone. I miss that feeling. I am sick of being alone but yet I don;t want to get close to anyone. I don't even want to try. So here I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM
SAS Member

I can totally relate to this. I have used drinking as a "medication" for anxiety issues. I developed a "drinking problem" as well. It's difficult for me to say what is the right answer regarding drinking. I quit a while back, as well. When feeling desparate, I often desire alcohol. You have to determine what risks are involved if you drink; and whether you are likely to lose control of your drinking and your life due to this dangerous self medication. I think the "best" answer for anyone is to not drink or use drugs; but I'm still willing to risk drinking in the future. It's like with many things, how much does it help, how much does it harm. but the smart answer for you and me both is NO. There are other options that include working on self (cognitive behavioral therapy, etc).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Justonekitty

When I was in college I drank alot. It was fun then. I became a little more social, but not that much. Later when I was in grad school I drank when I was feeling depressed. It was not fun. I have a drink every now and then. I tried drinking like I did when I was younger but I can't handle it anymore. The hangover is so much worse. Drinking only helps for a little while then it makes things worse.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM
subtastic

I know how you feel. I was off the booze for a long time, but lately I've had booze cravings that I've acted upon. So far, I haven't taken it too far but who knows whether I can keep it under control. I'm monitoring myself and not allowing myself to get hammered.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Lucky Me

I have what could be described as a drinking problem. But I can function with it. Its very common among those with mental illness.

It might not be such a bad idea if I never... never went home again.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Astral Warrior

well alcohol is anti anxiety so its easy to see. personally i hate feeling like **** the next day
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:29 AM
SAS Member

I've struggled with this for years. With a few drinks in me I'm someone fun and exciting. Sober I'm a dreadful bore who wonders why anyone is even his friend. I think alcohol is very dangerous for someone with SA. It levels the playing field for us, but gets a hold of some people and never lets go.

Tread lightly.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:31 AM
SAS Member

Drinking is a major social lubricant and unfortunately those of us with SA can become dependent if not kept in check. With that said, I have a strange urge for some reefer as of late, can't seem to get my hands on any at this point in time however.

No one will talk to me, they tend to go. Their faces say there's something I should know
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:11 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin_1 View Post
I have what could be described as a drinking problem. But I can function with it. Its very common among those with mental illness.
Technically, SA is not even a mental illness - it's an emotional disorder. How we think determines how we feel. Yes, we feel bad sometimes, but it is what we do with it. In the long run, it's harder to face what makes us anxious, but we end up stronger for it.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 AM
SAS Member

yea i had an urge today to drink. its such a appealing addiction when you have social anxiety. alcohol just CREEPS into your life. you almost get hypnotized. so weird.......

chea
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Bionic Commando

Some say I do.

I agree with them.

Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 03:35 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

^ Can I come over!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:18 AM
Permanently Banned

To help calm myself I just had 2 ounces of whiskey. Certainly not a lot but enough to produce a mild calming.

I avoid drinking to excess since feeling like death the next day doesn't appeal to me.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
Technically, SA is not even a mental illness - it's an emotional disorder. How we think determines how we feel. Yes, we feel bad sometimes, but it is what we do with it. In the long run, it's harder to face what makes us anxious, but we end up stronger for it.
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) lists social phobia (as 300.23), so I gather the American Psychiatric Association deems it a mental disorder.

How does an emotional disorder differ from a mental disorder? And what's the difference between a mental disorder and a mental illness, two terms that I'd have assumed to have identical meaning?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 08:23 AM
SAS Member

alcohol doesn't make me the least bit more social. It's never been any good as a social lubricant. Hence why i've hardly socialized my whole life.

But it does make me dopey and calm me - which is why i drink. I think i have a problem now, but i have no will to stop. The anxiety i get makes me want to put my fist through a pane of glass and i'm not sure that's any better than having alcohol dependany issues.

SO i sit at home and drink until my mind finally shuts up and i can stop going mad.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page