I don't know who I am anymore - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragog View Post
The thoughts more or less remain the same, and it's their effect on me that keeps varying.
I feel similarly. Like this morning I woke up feeling a little anxious and blue for no reason. I thought about my life and there is nothing different to make me feel differently today, but there are just these uncomfortable feelings there. I noticed that I tried to create a story around why I am feeling this way (which is my way to justify the way I am feeling, so I feel more comfortable with the feelings) but then noticed that I can just let the feelings be there and also feel the calm underneath them, too. I can let the feelings that want to be there be and just be calm anyway. Now the feelings softened and I realize I am really tired and feeling overwhelmed with what there is to do this week, and that I have been putting pressure on myself to do too much (which backfires and I procrastinate).

So this is weird how the feelings are important, but I have to stop myself from putting a story on top of them to justify why they might be that way. Then I can relax while feeling the feelings, and they let me know what they are about. I don't have to guess and make a story about why they might be there, I can relax and let them tell me what they are trying to say (and it's often in a small, quiet voice that only comes out when I relax with them.) That is a large part of what seeing a long-term therapist is supposed to be about, so I figure I am saving lots of money just learning to be comfortable with my own feelings enough that they reveal themselves to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page