I became a compulsive liar - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: Spanish (native), English
My Mood: Confused

I became a compulsive liar

I'm 21 and I've been suffering from social anxiety since I have memory, but I accepted it recently, I started treatment with a psychiatrist just a week ago and I haven't started therapy yet.
I've been always afraid to don't fulfill other people's expectations, so I started lying on everything in my life to every single new person I meet and even to my real friends from my childhood.
I live my life as a character and that's the way I found to be less anxious.
I do not want to sound like a douche, but I'm quite good looking and everybody assume that I'm a rich ****boy even though I'm a kissless virgin and not rich at all. I'd became such a good lier I sometimes do not do it on purpose, it's like an automatic thing for me. Now it's almost impossible to maintain long lasting relationships. I've never been caught lying, or at least nobody told me.

Does anybody here have the same problem?
Do you guys have any suggestions?
I'll appreciate any support you give me!
P.S. is the first time I talk to anyone about this problem, it've been such a challenge for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
Yes i have a suggestion, how about stop lying?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 07:00 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
I was about to say that if you're not a compulsive liar you'd never get anywhere in this world but I forgot that compulsive lying is lying even when you don't have to (probably without even thinking about it). So lying to your boss and telling him you like him is not a lie you are telling just just because. But maybe it actually is a compulsive lie because if you feel compelled to tell such lies.

/WYSD

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 07:06 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
It's a form of escapism and fantasy, so not all that unusual. Better than being drug or alcohol addicted, I think anyway.

Part of it is about caring for the person you're targeting your lie for. You probably realize it already, but you'll have to own up to the truth eventually...so if you want to escape your reality with strangers or people you don't really care about, that's fine (well, not fine, but you get what I'm saying), but if you find someone that you really want to connect with, you'll have to make a decision on whether to be truthful or not.

If you can't make that decision to be truthful, it isn't about being a compulsive liar, it's about not wanting to accept yourself and your reality...and that's a much bigger issue to cover in therapy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad1231234 View Post
Yes i have a suggestion, how about stop lying?
I wish it was that easy...

You never notice glass unless its broken
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I was about to say that if you're not a compulsive liar you'd never get anywhere in this world but I forgot that compulsive lying is lying even when you don't have to (probably without even thinking about it). So lying to your boss and telling him you like him is not a lie you are telling just just because. But maybe it actually is a compulsive lie because if you feel compelled to tell such lies.
Started like that, now I don't think about it it's like a reflex

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
It's a form of escapism and fantasy, so not all that unusual. Better than being drug or alcohol addicted, I think anyway.

Part of it is about caring for the person you're targeting your lie for. You probably realize it already, but you'll have to own up to the truth eventually...so if you want to escape your reality with strangers or people you don't really care about, that's fine (well, not fine, but you get what I'm saying), but if you find someone that you really want to connect with, you'll have to make a decision on whether to be truthful or not.

If you can't make that decision to be truthful, it isn't about being a compulsive liar, it's about not wanting to accept yourself and your reality...and that's a much bigger issue to cover in therapy.
Maybe that's my problem, I'm such a ***** I can't even accept my reality. Thanks for the answer it was helpful, at least now I know it's not that unusual

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page