hypothyroidism-low thyroid - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

hypothyroidism-low thyroid

does anybody here have hypothyroidism? I had low levels when I was in 12th grade. I took meds for a year and got off them and everything since them has been fine however, I know that hypothyroidism is an autoimmune disease and I suspect having normal levels now doesn't necessarily mean I'm cured. I'm feeling the same symptoms again and suspecting my levels to be low (waiting on bloodwork results to come back). Anybody have it that can share their experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Permanently Banned

I first starting having low thyroid like two years ago. I didn't know what was wrong.. I was tired all the time and even started having shortness of breath. It was really bad. I found out by getting a blood test from the doc after telling my symptoms. My levels improved naturally by getting more protein, taking vitamins and taking vitamin D (I got my vitamin D level tested and it was low). So my TSH was at a 9, then after the vitamin D it lowered to like a 4.5. So I am still a little hypothyroid, but the vitamin D helped a lot. Since it is sunny where I live, I now just try to go outside more to get enough vitamin D but I still take a multivitamin with Vitamin D in it. I would suggest finding out if you are low in vitamin D because it may be something you need. It is supposed to affect your hormones, since your thyroid is related to hormones, it makes sense. The other things that make your thyroid function well are iodine and L-tyrosine. L-tyrosine is in proteins..so getting more protein helps low thyroid.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinydancer20 View Post
I first starting having low thyroid like two years ago. I didn't know what was wrong.. I was tired all the time and even started having shortness of breath. It was really bad. I found out by getting a blood test from the doc after telling my symptoms. My levels improved naturally by getting more protein, taking vitamins and taking vitamin D (I got my vitamin D level tested and it was low). So my TSH was at a 9, then after the vitamin D it lowered to like a 4.5. So I am still a little hypothyroid, but the vitamin D helped a lot. Since it is sunny where I live, I now just try to go outside more to get enough vitamin D but I still take a multivitamin with Vitamin D in it. I would suggest finding out if you are low in vitamin D because it may be something you need. It is supposed to affect your hormones, since your thyroid is related to hormones, it makes sense. The other things that make your thyroid function well are iodine and L-tyrosine. L-tyrosine is in proteins..so getting more protein helps low thyroid.

you never took levothyroxine? Levothyroxine helped me and then I got off the meds a year later. I did have a low vitamin D for which I got 50,000 IU. I was taking a multivitamin, but my mom bought me a recent brand which makes me nauseated all the time. It didn't feel like it was helping, so I stopped taking it. I might get another brand soon. What brand of multivits do you take?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Permanently Banned

Hmm. Maybe try getting more protein? Protein shakes seem to help. the multi I take is called alive...I have to take it with food. and I took liquid drops of vitamin D called Carlson's daily d. I noticed I felt better and had more energy after two weeks of taking them. I don't want to go on medication. I'm trying to see if I can get my TSH any lower just by natural methods like this. All this stuff worked for me so I don't feel like I need meds.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 07:11 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Malfunctioning thyroid here. ;_; I was diagnosed a little over a year ago, after getting fed up with months of mysterious weight gain and excessive fatigue. I've been on levothyroxine for over a year as well, the dose slowly increasing every two months, but have yet to feel any, ANY, improvement. They tell me my levels are "normal" (albeit in the low range), but I notice no improvement, no weight loss, no energy, even my fraying fingernails haven't improved. I convinced them to keep upping my dose if I'm not feeling any better but I imagine at some point they have to stop, I have to wait two months between dosage increases (and that adds up), and...it's been over a year. I'm just so tired of waiting for improvement, ANY improvement.

I've felt so tired and sick that last year I missed going to my favorite location for the first time in years, and this year it doesn't look good either. That'll be two years without visiting my favorite place.

I'm also on B12, D, and iron. I'm so desperate to feel better that they recently put me on phentermine, a diet drug that's supposed to give you energy, but it makes me feel drained! Not even a stimulant helps me!

Sorry for my melodrama. ;_; I'm just so frustrated. I want my already low energy back.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 11:32 PM
SAS Member

I have a hyperactive thyroid I worry about stuff for absolutely no reason. somedays I feel great other days im drained and struggle just to keep cool at work
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 PM
SAS Member

I have Hypothyroidism, diagnosed 2 years ago. Was sleeping like 14-16 hours a day and weight jumped up from 205 to 250 and had no energy at all.

I take Levothyroxine daily and B12 shot every month.

Still don't have much energy but i also need my knee's replaced so mobility is challenging for me.

“There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.”
― Laurell K. Hamilton, Mistral's Kiss
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM
SAS Member

I was diagnosed twenty years ago when I had a massive depressive episode and ended up leaving college for a semester. I started out at .025 Synthroid at age 19, and now at 39 I'm at .150 and normal thyroid levels. Unfortunately, the medication isn't something I can just take for a while and quit. I'll take it for the rest of my life. The bright side is...at least it's inexpensive (if you can take the generic).
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 02:08 PM
SAS Member

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism two years ago. I went to the doctor because I was experiencing several symptoms such dizziness, fainting, constant chills, constant fatigue/lethargy, and general malaise. He ran a full blood panel and my TSH came back at 7.7, and my T3 and T4 were way too low. Also, my Vitamin D was too low, which, according to my doctor, can exacerbate thyroid-related symptoms. He put me on 88 mcg of Synthroid (Levothyroxine) and told me to take an additional 3000 IU of Vit D. Until about this time last year, he has had to increase my dose of Synthroid with each follow up because my TSH didn't seem to want to budge, nor did my T3 and T4. My levels finally came back normal about a year after my diagnosis, and by then I was taking 125 mcg. I didn't notice much physical improvement, though, until several months after my levels had normalized. Suddenly, I found that I had a lot of energy and felt the best I had in years, but then it seemed to be increasing more and more to the point that I actually had too much energy (feeling restless, antsy, and irritable even though I was already very active). With my latest retest, my results showed that I'd actually become slightly hyperthyroid from the dose that I was on, so now I'm on 112 mcg. I definitely feel better than I did two years ago, but it took well over a year to get there. I will have to take the medication for the rest of my life to keep my levels normal, and I'll have to go to the doctor for tests every three months to keep my dosage in line, but it's definitely manageable.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:22 PM
♎Mackinac Island Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Forest View Post
My levels finally came back normal about a year after my diagnosis, and by then I was taking 125 mcg. I didn't notice much physical improvement, though, until several months after my levels had normalized. Suddenly, I found that I had a lot of energy and felt the best I had in years, but then it seemed to be increasing more and more to the point that I actually had too much energy (feeling restless, antsy, and irritable even though I was already very active). With my latest retest, my results showed that I'd actually become slightly hyperthyroid from the dose that I was on, so now I'm on 112 mcg. I definitely feel better than I did two years ago, but it took well over a year to get there. I will have to take the medication for the rest of my life to keep my levels normal, and I'll have to go to the doctor for tests every three months to keep my dosage in line, but it's definitely manageable.
God do I wish my experience would go like this... ;_; ...but I'm starting to lose hope. I think I'm on 125mcg myself at the moment, up from 100, up from 75, up from 50, up from 25...

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Hmm. Maybe try getting more protein? Protein shakes seem to help. the multi I take is called alive...I have to take it with food. and I took liquid drops of vitamin D called Carlson's daily d. I noticed I felt better and had more energy after two weeks of taking them. I don't want to go on medication. I'm trying to see if I can get my TSH any lower just by natural methods like this. All this stuff worked for me so I don't feel like I need meds.
I do eat a good amount of protein, but it doesn't really help . I got my lab work back and I found out that I do have thyroid antibodies (which I'm sure I knew) but my levels are normal, Vit D is borderline. I found Alive at Wal-Mart and got it per your recommendation lol , excited to try. How much Vit D did you take in total daily (Alive has 1,000 IU which seems adequate daily, I'm assuming). I'm considering also using Ashwagandha (I saw it on the forum for increasing mood stability + concentration) either the pill or a mild tea for now. I have diabetes so meds have been inevitable for me and levo did help when I had a low thyroid level, but since I have so much tiredness and exhaustion and my levels aren't low, I'm hoping the multivit + herbal supplement helps; otherwise I might take extra vit D like you said.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Permanently Banned

You are never cured of autoimmune disease. You have to manage it. You should be getting blood tests to monitor your thyroid hormones at least every year or two (depending on your history and how stable your levels have been so far).
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongnumber View Post
You are never cured of autoimmune disease. You have to manage it. You should be getting blood tests to monitor your thyroid hormones at least every year or two (depending on your history and how stable your levels have been so far).
o yea, of course, I know that too well lol I have type 1 diabetes and I also know that having one autoimmune predisposes you to many others. Using the word cured was a bad choice lol, but what I really meant was that my low thyroid back in 12th grade wasn't transiently low but due to actual antibodies. But the symptoms of hypothyroidism can certainly be relieved and I just want to know what others are doing besides taking levo, which my physician won't give me b/c I have antibodies but not abnormal thyroid labs
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamCheese View Post
o yea, of course, I know that too well lol I have type 1 diabetes and I also know that having one autoimmune predisposes you to many others. Using the word cured was a bad choice lol, but what I really meant was that my low thyroid back in 12th grade wasn't transiently low but due to actual antibodies. But the symptoms of hypothyroidism can certainly be relieved and I just want to know what others are doing besides taking levo, which my physician won't give me b/c I have antibodies but not abnormal thyroid labs
I would seriously get Carlson's liquid vitamin D drops if I were you. I think they would help you. You said your vitamin D was borderline which means you probably still could benefit from taking it..well I have read so much about vitamins and how they affect the thyroid and bla bla bla, so vitamin D is supposed to help your thyroid and also help with autoimmune problems too..The drops contain 5,000 IU in them. I think because they have more IU than normal vitamin, is why I quickly noticed a difference in my energy when taking them for only a few weeks..
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 02:01 AM
Permanently Banned

I wouldn't say 'you are never cured of autoimmune diseases" ... There are different things that you can do to get relief. Honestly your doctor is probably just saying that you can never cure an autoimmune disease so that you have to keep going back to him to get more prescription drugs and what not to manage the symptoms. There are more natural cures like vitamins that you don't need a prescription for, and that your body NEEDS.... like Vitamin D- which so many people are deficient in. Also there are people who have gotten relief from certain types of diets..
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 10:24 AM
SAS Member

Went to the doctor with migrating joint pain/muscle pain. Couldn't hardly walk and down stairs. Also had the fatigue, couldn't lose weight, feeling cold and then warm. Doctor did a blood test for thyroid, cortisol levels, testosterone levels, and rheumatoid factor. My T4 is low, and so is my testosterone. She started me on Levothyroxine. I started taking it September 11th. She wanted to treat the testosterone and I am refusing that. Too many bad side effect with testosterone drugs. Many lawsuits right now. My mom knew a guy that died from stroke caused by testosterone drugs. The doctor also wanted an MRI on my pituitary gland but that test didn't work out due to it hurts my back to lie flat still for long. Only could lay there for 20 minutes and had to be let out. The radiologist said she put pillows under my legs so it shouldn't be a problem. Well she is in her 20's and thought your day is coming where you get aches and pains. I called the doctors nurse but no one got back with me yet and that was last Wednesday. I still have the joint/muscle pain, fatigue, and can't lose weight. I am getting frustrated with this. Can't get anything done around the house. Need to paint a room and don't have the energy and hurt so much I can't do it.

troll: man, we got a lot of snow
yooper: eh?
troll: three feet, man!
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Tired

Quote:
4.5 is still hypothyroid. 3 is pretty much the cutoff nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Malfunctioning thyroid here. ;_; I was diagnosed a little over a year ago, after getting fed up with months of mysterious weight gain and excessive fatigue. I've been on levothyroxine for over a year as well, the dose slowly increasing every two months, but have yet to feel any, ANY, improvement. They tell me my levels are "normal" (albeit in the low range), but I notice no improvement, no weight loss, no energy, even my fraying fingernails haven't improved. I convinced them to keep upping my dose if I'm not feeling any better but I imagine at some point they have to stop, I have to wait two months between dosage increases (and that adds up), and...it's been over a year. I'm just so tired of waiting for improvement, ANY improvement.

I've felt so tired and sick that last year I missed going to my favorite location for the first time in years, and this year it doesn't look good either. That'll be two years without visiting my favorite place.

I'm also on B12, D, and iron. I'm so desperate to feel better that they recently put me on phentermine, a diet drug that's supposed to give you energy, but it makes me feel drained! Not even a stimulant helps me!

Sorry for my melodrama. ;_; I'm just so frustrated. I want my already low energy back.
make sure they are testing not just TSH. You need free t4 and free t3 tested. If you aren't converting properly your TSH can be in range but your t3 too low. Might be a struggle to get them to test it though, but as you are on levo they should do a full thyroid panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carambola View Post
I would really like to get a full thyroid panel done because something has to be behind my severe insomnia. I am also cold almost all the time (whenever the temperature is below 80 degrees Fahrenheit), probably losing too much hair, and have experienced increasing "brain fog" and memory issues. My TSH when tested a year ago was above the newer recommended reference level, but within the older range, which is what the lab used.
So presumably somewhere in the region of 3-5 i guess? - yeh still hypo I think you will probably need to push quite hard on this, print out reputable stuff from the internet (studies and whatnot) and take it in.

I think I should generally very briefly explain what these tests show (I am not a doctor btw, disclaimer etc).

TSH is the hormone secreted by the pituitary (not the thyroid) which acts as a messenger telling the thyroid to produce t4 and to a lesser degree t3. The system works via a feedback loop so that TSH will be raised to get the thyroid to pump out more t4 and t3 if they are low.

So it is important to note that

1)A low TSH doesn't necessarily say anything about the level of thyroid hormone. You can have low TSH and low t4 (if there is a pituitary issue for example). This is why typically you don't get TSH measured alone, but with free t4.

2)A high TSH does indicate hypothyroidism, as it will only be high if the feedback says not enough is being produced.

So a low TSH doesn't rule out hypothyroidism, a high TSH is a certainty however (I think).

3)This is where I am a little unsure, but I think the feedback mechanism relies on t4, wheras what you are actually primarily concerned with is t3. Thus, you can theoretically have low TSH, good T4 and still suffer from hypothyroidism as the t4-t3 conversion isn't working well. (take this with a pinch of salt though as I am not entirely sure here).

In summary, you at least need to have TSH and free T4 measured. You cannot rely on TSH alone. If you are prescribed levothyroxine you should probably be getting your free T3 checked as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
Went to the doctor with migrating joint pain/muscle pain. Couldn't hardly walk and down stairs. Also had the fatigue, couldn't lose weight, feeling cold and then warm. Doctor did a blood test for thyroid, cortisol levels, testosterone levels, and rheumatoid factor. My T4 is low, and so is my testosterone. She started me on Levothyroxine. I started taking it September 11th. She wanted to treat the testosterone and I am refusing that. Too many bad side effect with testosterone drugs. Many lawsuits right now. My mom knew a guy that died from stroke caused by testosterone drugs. The doctor also wanted an MRI on my pituitary gland but that test didn't work out due to it hurts my back to lie flat still for long. Only could lay there for 20 minutes and had to be let out. The radiologist said she put pillows under my legs so it shouldn't be a problem. Well she is in her 20's and thought your day is coming where you get aches and pains. I called the doctors nurse but no one got back with me yet and that was last Wednesday. I still have the joint/muscle pain, fatigue, and can't lose weight. I am getting frustrated with this. Can't get anything done around the house. Need to paint a room and don't have the energy and hurt so much I can't do it.
You need to get that mri done, somehow.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by carambola View Post
I actually got the hormone levels tested this summer, two years after the last time my TSH was tested, and the TSH was lower (though still above what many think they feel best at)--1.5, I think. T3 and T4 were within range. I still have the brain fog and insomnia, but I think my hair's been falling out less. I got thyroglobulin antibodies tested on my own (through mymedlabs.com) in the spring and they were positive but not high. I read that people with positive antibodies are more likely to develop hypothyroidism later. I'd started taking selenium a year ago, and have been mostly avoiding gluten this year, which are both things people think have helped bring their antibodies down. Maybe I was experiencing mild hypothyroidism at the time but my thyroid's been able to recover a bit? I really wish I'd found an answer to the insomnia, though.
I would think that with TSH at 1.5 and t4 and t3 in range (assuming they were free t4 and t3) you could pretty much rule out hypothyroid.

I would keep an eye on your thyroid in the future but don't spend too much time fretting. I am not a doctor tho hehe

My understanding hair falling out can be a lot of things. If you are female, I would suggest getting your ferritin checked, as this is a common reason (I am male and after a couple of blood donations my ferritin had dropped, raising it stopped my hair falling out as much - def don't supp with iron though unless you have this checked). I wouldn't go too crazy with testing for deficiences though if you have a decent diet. Its probably worth getting ferritin, vitamin D, folate and B12 done, not sure anything else is going to be worth it.

Insomnia, again could be any number of things.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 09:12 AM
SAS Member

Yes I have it.

I am tired alot of the time but low thyroid can often be just the tip of the iceberg with many other things taking place in the body, I am not a doctor and I don't pretend to play one on in the internet but I think the best thing you can do is research online.

I personally have found that I take my meds and see a limited improvement, it maybe gets me around 60% better in terms of energy but I'm still tired, I take vitamin C in the morning, I switch my diet to a more protien rich diet mainly due to the fact it helps with weight loss and maintains a more normal blood sugar which means steady energy flow.

There are various supplements you can take and play around with and this is all trial and error really, don't expect a doctor to be able to fix you but with your own research you can make a decent amount of progress.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Dreamer~

I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism 3 years ago. They gave me Tapazole and Propranolol. I took them for a couple of months, then I stupidly stopped taking them and also stopped going to my appointments. 2 years later, I went back because I started feeling worse. I was losing weight, even though I ate like a horse. I also had tachycardia, excessive sweating, hand tremors, I was always nervous. I could not stand the heat! It would irritate me so much! So when I saw my medic, he told me that Tapazole and Propranolol would not help me anymore. He ordered me to take Radioactive Iodine, and now I have Hypothyroidism. I was supposed to see him 2 months after he gave me Levothyroxine Sodium (which was in May) but because of my agoraphobia I have not been able to see him. I feel so bad all the time! I feel tired, my hair started falling out 2 months after taking the pill (fortunately, it has stopped falling and has been growing back). I have been gaining weight, and I am sure it has been causing me to break out! I know Hypothyroidism is easier to control than Hyperthyroidism, so I'm glad about that. But I hate the side effects! Agh!

Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair. ♥

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page