How to manage stress of sick parents ? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad

How to manage stress of sick parents ?

Even though I know my mom is really sick...everytime her condition worsens or she develops a new symptom... I get this instant headache that lasts for days.....it ups my anxiety like 100% and ppl can tell that I am stressed-out.

I know I am not the only person with sick parents....so I would like to better control the outward manifestation of my stress. I don't like the fact that ppl can notice it at work. I know one of the key factors to keeping a job is "can he work under stress" ...so I don't want to be that guy.

Plus...I don't want to be the horror movie cliche character who is scared sh!tless in tough situations and unable to act.

I need to be able to think straight even if my mom is at her worst.
Any suggestions ?

-------------------
PS the stressful thoughts I get are: "why does her disease keep progressing so much faster than normal, no matter what we do?"
"Why can't I fix this"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:43 PM
Permanently Banned

@VIncymon

Sorry to hear that mate.

Sometimes having a break from the situation helps (asking someone to take over or hire a Nurse / caregiver who do house calls).

Sometimes the answer to the disease getting worse might be the medication, allergic reaction to drugs in general (or only some drugs).

Some medications create side effects, diseases like diabetes and make it worse the longer the drug is taken. Switching to another drug is sometimes the fix, or reducing the doseage if no other drug is available.

You can find PDF's from trials saying if reduce or increase doseage it does this and that side effects wise. Sometimes that trial data is false (resperidone being one example), so have to rely on others in similar circumstances reactions or family members reactions to that drug (biological link).

FDA might list warnings or similar government departments if others häve had similar issues with that drug.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:49 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
Even though I know my mom is really sick...everytime her condition worsens or she develops a new symptom... I get this instant headache that lasts for days.....it ups my anxiety like 100% and ppl can tell that I am stressed-out.

I know I am not the only person with sick parents....so I would like to better control the outward manifestation of my stress. I don't like the fact that ppl can notice it at work. I know one of the key factors to keeping a job is "can he work under stress" ...so I don't want to be that guy.

Plus...I don't want to be the horror movie cliche character who is scared sh!tless in tough situations and unable to act.

I need to be able to think straight even if my mom is at her worst.
Any suggestions ?

-------------------
PS the stressful thoughts I get are: "why does her disease keep progressing so much faster than normal, no matter what we do?"
"Why can't I fix this"
Pretty sure that saying is about stress from the job not stress in your personal life.

Not sure what you can do. There are tons of methods to relieve stress. Hard to say which one will work for you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page