How to get an evaluation? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

How to get an evaluation?

What are the steps needed to get an evaluation? I know that regular primary drs can refer you but honestly I donít trust my dr... id like to cut out the middle man if i can. For the most part I have been working out my anxiety and depression , sorta, but I believe there is more to it. I truly want a full psych evaluation instead of them just kinda guessing or ignoring my concerns:/... i feel like ill be able to get more specialized help, maybe find more support groups? Idk... i just want definitive answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 06:56 PM
SAS Member

You'll most likely have to see your local doctor to get an initial referral to a psychiatrist. That's how it works here anyway. Then you slowly start talking to them and they try to work out what the problem is, maybe give you a diagnosis etc.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I was referred to a psych but she doesnít believe in labels. No one will listen to me or will formally diagnose me and my problems are only getting worse..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 04:24 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic290 View Post
I was referred to a psych but she doesn’t believe in labels. No one will listen to me or will formally diagnose me and my problems are only getting worse..

Was it a psychiatrist or a psychologist?

Don't think I've ever met a shrink that doesn't believe in labels (or pills for that matter). (probably not any psychologists either for that matter)

The thing is, if someone says things like that - I wouldn't be wasting my time talking to them. There are plenty of hopeless shrinks/psychologists around - I've talked to quite a few myself. But if we aren't happy with them it's our responsibility to find a different one - one that's better.

It's hard - especially when you don't feel well. But unfortunately that's just the way it is. Hope you can find someone that can help you anyway.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:50 AM
SAS Member

hey mystic.....i hope you find a shrink soon who you acn work with
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Was it a psychiatrist or a psychologist?

Don't think I've ever met a shrink that doesn't believe in labels (or pills for that matter). (probably not any psychologists either for that matter)

The thing is, if someone says things like that - I wouldn't be wasting my time talking to them. There are plenty of hopeless shrinks/psychologists around - I've talked to quite a few myself. But if we aren't happy with them it's our responsibility to find a different one - one that's better.

It's hard - especially when you don't feel well. But unfortunately that's just the way it is. Hope you can find someone that can help you anyway.

Yeah itís a psychologist. Sheís very nice but, idk Iíve done talk therapy on and off since I was a child and it just feels like it never helped... Iím just looking for answers at this point, not just to vent to someone :/... ya know?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page