Head Shaking - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 201 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM
ANxiouS ANXIOUS anxious

same hereeee . after excessive use of weed for almost a year. my neck barely makes any movements when im talking to people. i see people nodding there heads in conferment or doing that "i understand un-huh" head nod, and when i do it i look like a retard because my neck is too stiff. my head use to shake also it was really embarrassing in class and id have to sit my head on my arm but now because i like to have such control my head has just gone stiff . Bad idea because the tension in my shoulders an neck feel almost permanent ive gotten use to it it only goes away with certain painkillers.

"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 201 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 AM
SAS Member

meow4me1

Plese reply if you are still on this site. I have lived with this for almost 46 years. If there is anyone else please email me.
Carole
post #23 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 AM
enayet

same here. facing the same problem..........taking clonazepam regularly for last 13 years.......but i need to get rid of this.....plz help

post #24 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 AM
SAS Member

I have this problem when I'm in a nervous situation... hair-cut, sitting in a theatre/lecture with people behind me. It's so embarrassing, and just gets worse the more you try and control it.
post #25 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM
ANxiouS ANXIOUS anxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnium11 View Post
I know what you mean by losing your identity due to weed. Weed gave me depersonalization disorder and really horrible panic attacks. Lots of really negative thoughts that I believed. Don't worry though with time you can make some really great improvements. I highly recommend meditation to help with this. Google "The Power of Now" etc. Great for dealing with fear and seeing through the mind / thoughts and the power they have over you.

Oh I also got the strange really jerky movements.
yep me too. i feel like im watching myself do most things , weed gave me anxiety, dp, and i introspect on my self and my own thoughts all the time as if i was high... not like this would help, but before i smoked i never heard anyone talking about the disorders you could get from it all i heard were things like brain cells dying and other bs , i never heard about anyone getting anxiety from it or dp even though many people do

"Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
post #26 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 AM
SAS Member

Tremor and Tic

I just registered and found this forum, I have had this problem for well over 20 years. And for many of those years I didn't understand why or what it was, yes I thought I was crazy...I was on every med they've had in the last 20 + years, none worked, they all gave me headaches and made me sick, and dulled my mind. I finally decided to look within, that it wasn't going to go away, so I needed to figure out a way to live with it, which can be very difficult and depressing when you are an intelligent creative person. My main trigger is fear of any kind of unexpected confrontational or threatening situation to any degree, which I find myself in rather frequently even at 50. Part of the key to my problem is the fear of being caught off guard in a threatening or confrontational situation and therefore being made a fool of or hurt. There is nothing about me that should speak trouble to other people, but trouble has had a way of finding me, and it's fear of that which triggers the worst tension in my neck, tremor and tic, of head shaking from side to side, at the mere thought of going anywhere. But I go anyway. I've been laughed at quite a bit by strangers for this over the years, but I hold my head high and refuse to let this keep me at home hiding.

I've learned that drinking and medication is not the answer, because for me, it helped at first, but then the tremor and shaking gets even worse when you don't have those crutches, and no one can or should have those kinds of crutches, then that becomes a problem.

I'm so glad I found this site and this forum, just reading everyone's story is helping me even now. Thanks so much.
post #27 of 201 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM
SAS Member

After 6 years of hell living with head trembling, sweaty hands, and excessive blushing caused by social anxiety, I'm at least glad that I've found this forum and some personal remedies. Hopefully, if I share my story, others can benefit as much as i benefit from hearing theirs.

The first instance of a head tremor came about 6 years ago at the age of 26 in my final year of grad school. Since that first incident, my life hasn't been the same. I tried to understand the triggers, but that didn't help. High stress with school work and practicums, over-caffeinated, new and more responsibility, girlfriend problems, etc. The cause doesn't seem to matter. What matters is that it happened and I've been in this vicious circle of fearing the fear itself ever since. I lost my job, my gf, a lot of friends cause i stopped going out, abused alcohol to treat the symptoms, hid in my apartment. I really thought I was going nuts. One day I remember staring into the mirror wondering how the hell i'm going to get through this. I had so many dreams and aspirations, and didn't see how any of it was possible when I was too scared to leave my apartment. Just thinking about that moment chokes me up.

I tried CBT therapy, ativan, cipralex, respiridone. These were only effective at very high doses, but I couldn't function as a walking zombie! Recently started propranolol after I read that it helps with performance anxiety. It's way too early to say, but the few tests I've performed (eg. making prolonged eye contact, standing in busy lines, taking a sip of my drink in front of people) have been achieved with good success.

One thing that I have noticed, and it's been mentioned here a couple of times, is that fighting the symptoms makes things worse. It's like the Chinese finger trap. The more you fight it the worse it gets. So I tried the opposite of fighting it. When I start to feel tight in the neck, face turning red, hands sweating, heart racing, choking, (all the symptoms leading up to head shaking), I invite the feelings with open arms! I say "have a panic attack of epic proportions!" Shake like an earthquake! Sometimes I command myself to take the shakes to the next level! Sure enough, I can't do it. I can't force the shaking. It sounds nuts, but it's worked for me.

The other thing that's worked for me is not beating myself up over it. I used to chastise myself for having these feelings and for feeling like a weirdo. That's again, the chinese finger trap. Accept that you will have to deal with this for the rest of your life, and that it's ok because you WILL find a way to manage it with your own special formula.

This whole experience has changed my life. I had to re-script my life to prevent a downward spiral. It's something I will always deal with, and that's ok.

I know exactly what you're all going through. Good luck to you all.
post #28 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 04:52 PM
SAS Member

Smile

b w hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer1221 View Post
I have this problem too. I have been hiding through clonazepam for a couple of years now. Since I discovered this medicine, it's been my magic pill to hide my nervousness. My big trigger is eating in front of people. I get so nervous that my head shakes. I feel embarrassed and ashamed of myself and it makes me cry when im home alone and think about my problem. I feel like i cannot talk to anyone because no one understands and they get frustrated with me and annoyed which I can understand. It becomes irritating ... and I do not want to burden anyone with my problem so i just try to hide it.
My fear was brought up badly yesterday which has me distrought all over again because i was caught off guard. My husband tricked me into going to eat lunch with his parents and i didnt have my pills on me so I just felt trapped. At the table my hands were shaking badly and i was panicking inside. I managed to take two bites of my taco and that was it. I pretended i was sick which was always my cop out when i got into a situation like this. It angers me that it's an every day thing that normal people do all the time yet i cant be normal and just do it.
Hi From Australia i have had head wobble&hand shake for most of my life my nick name is shakey, some times i will avoid a cup of coffee as it is hard to hold when im at a stranger house. The hand nearly shakes the coffee out. Placing sugar by spoon in a cup is very hard, sugar everywhere.If i go out for a beer have to hold it with both hands at first then i think people look at me and judge me as if i have a drinking problem. IT'S NERVES AND ANXIETY.THE FEAR OF MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF. SO WE AVOID THE SCENE. im on xanax I dont have a answer, i down loaded a cd called panic away it helps me understand ANXIETY BETTER. IM 53 and dont care what STRANGERS think about my problem .THE ONE,S WHO LOVE YOU KNOW HOW IT EFFECTS YOU AND WILL STAND BY YOU. EAT THINGS THAT YOU FELL EASY TO HOLD. AND SMILE YOUR FRIEND WILL BE THERE 4 U.
post #29 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 04:59 PM
SAS Member

HI from Australia Dont worry about the strangers in your life YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY will understand how your ANXIETY MAKES YOU FEEL.I posted more info 4 u, If i go out i eat food that will stay together well.
post #30 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Tha Kid A'Lo

I Can Relate To Lik 3/4's Of The Posts In This Thread, I'm Havin' The Same Problem That Yall Have. iUsed To Smoke Weed Regularly - But Mainly Before Parties, In The Studio Or Jus' Chillin Wit Friends. I'm 99% Positive That Weed Has Somethin' To Do With This.

My Story Is That iConstantly Feel Like My Head Is Shaking In A Noddin' Motion. iMainly Feel It When I'm Out In Public Or Around Other People ( A Lot Of People).It's Weird Cuz When I Look In The Mirror - That Nodding Motion Seems To Disintegrate Or Jus' Vanish, But If iDon't Look In The Mirror That Feeling Always Comes Back. But iDo Know My Head Is Noddin' For The Fact That iAlmost Got Kicked Out Of My First College For Fightin Some Kids That Were Lookin' At Me & Laughin'.

My Question Is : Are Yu Guys Able To See Yur Head Nod In The Mirror? Or Are Yu In The Same Situation I'm In?
post #31 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Tha Kid A'Lo

Good To See I'm Not The Only One With This Type Of Anxiety - especially From The Use Of Weed.
post #32 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM
EMMAZING

^^^^ Me 2
Thats the main reason i come onto this site, i absolutely hate people watching me if im out and drinking my head will have this weird twitch, i've tried to see myself do it in the mirror, but i dont no whether people could be able to notice the kinda twitch i have, but im scared they can see.
I SHOULD OF NEVER HAVE TOUCHED WEED :@ :@

I don't have to be perfect because those who care don't matter and those who matter don't care

Everyday I try to look my best...
Even though Inside I'm such a mess

post #33 of 201 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Tha Kid A'Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmz92 View Post
^^^^ Me 2
Thats the main reason i come onto this site, i absolutely hate people watching me if im out and drinking my head will have this weird twitch, i've tried to see myself do it in the mirror, but i dont no whether people could be able to notice the kinda twitch i have, but im scared they can see.
I SHOULD OF NEVER HAVE TOUCHED WEED :@ :@
iThink The Twitches Get More Visible Once Were Out In Public But I'm Not Sure - iPersonally Think That One Of The Blunts iSmoked Could Have Possibly Been Laced & iAgree Wit Yu - Wish iNever Touched Bud Or Learned How To Roll

"iDevelop Lines Without Smokin' Weed
Hadda Quit Wen Tht Shyt Was Controllin' Me
iGotta Thank God For The Way He Was Lookin' Over Me
iRealized Tht The "Circle Of Life" Leads To God .. Rosary
N I'ma Tell Yu Wat This Guy Once Told To Me
'If Life Ain't Hard - Tht Ain't The Way It's Supposed To Be'
So iCan't Be Humble - Lifes A Jungle - So I'm Dominant
N Yea iStruggle Now .. Buh My Future Looks Promisin'" A'Lo
post #34 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 PM
SAS Member

unexpected

I really just caught myself off guard with my reaction because I just broke down into tears when I read about other people having this same issue. I'm 24 and had this problem since I was in probably 8th grade. It's just something I've lived with and didn't think anyone else had a problem with. I've only told one person about this and it was when I was younger and we laughed about it like it was just weird. But it never really has been funny to me. Reading out loud to the class, haircuts, going to the doctor, eye contact, interviews...so many things everyone has mentioned on here are things that have terrorized me for years. I'm so afraid it's going to happen and when it does my heart just starts racing and I feel like such a freak. Apparently I've bottled up a lot of feelings on the issue judging by how emotional I got finding out other people have the same problem. I guess I really might make an appointment with a doctor (irony) and see if they can help me. If something could fix this, I would just feel like I could be more of myself again.
post #35 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangraves123 View Post
I have had anxiety for about 4 years now. It all sort of started when I used to smoke pot, and I gradually started concentrating more and more on how I appeared to people, in turn sort of losing my identity as a result. Since then my anxiety has been based around "head shaking". If someone looks me in the eyes or if any focus is on me (like in a conversation, interview, haircut etc) I automatically get really nervous and my head will shake side to side, and since then all of my energy has gone into preventing it from happening in social situations, it's become a paranoia. Over time it has created a lot of tension in my neck and head...to the point I can't even smile or laugh naturally anymore and haven't been able to because I'm too because if I do my head will shake and I'll look like a fool. Now people wonder why I look so dull faced all the time, never smile or laugh. I haven't been able to explain this to anyone because they would just think I'm nuts, and in all actuality I'm fairly intelligent and artistic. This condition has prevented me from going to school, keeping a job, keeping friends, making friends and so much more. I really just want to meet someone who understands. I used to be very outgoing and had always had a steady girlfriend and now I can't even be comfortable around people at all. I know I'm a decent looking guy and I'm talented in many ways but I cannot seem to heal this....it's sooooo hard to explain.
It's like you're telling my life story. I've had this for over 15 years now, can't take beta blockers due to Asthma. At work is the worse, as i don't feel close enough to anyone to tell them about it, especially my manager. The minute he starts speaking to me, i feel all the muscles in my neck tense up, and the shaking starts.
I've got my first few sessions of fear fighter coming up. I really hope it helps, or at least teaches me to deal with it, and get some confidence.
post #36 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 AM
SAS Member

My psychiatrists will not listen to me and prescribe what HAS worked in the past. So, the only two options I have done that seem to work are cardio ( preferably jump roping for 15 minutes or jogging ) and meditation in the full lotus position for 30 minutes a day. What I noticed was that when I sit completely still my heartbeat is beating so hard that my whole body will move with it, or mostly my neck and head area - ultimately triggering my stupid neck twitch. It seems like I am trying not to look like a weirdo while simultaneously not showing some kind of fear or "weakness" depending on whom I am talking to. I also use to smoke weed religiously, so I am not too sure what triggered this RIDICULOUS problem which has also ruined any chances of getting friends or getting out of this predicament. Anyways the only thing that I have done to help it is intense cardio and meditation...give a shot. BTW benzodiazepam prescribed medication was what helped 'calm' me I guess...I really can't stand this problem. peace
post #37 of 201 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 AM
SAS Member

same here x(
post #38 of 201 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 PM
SAS Member

-
post #39 of 201 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 05:01 AM
SAS Member

im just so glad im not alone with this. its litteraly destroying my life
post #40 of 201 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
SAS Member

-