Have I damaged my liver? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Have I damaged my liver?

I don't consider myself a heavy drinker and I restrict my drinking to social occasions usually limiting myself to about 4 beers or 5 shots worth of alcohol. This was enough for a buzz and to reduce anxiety. And socializing was limited to perhaps once or twice per month. Never felt sick or drunk off that amount or woke up with a hangover. I began to cut back and stopped drinking socially for health and money reasons.

Now for the past 18 months I began drinking at home by myself just for the buzz. I restricted myself to one drinking session every fortnightly Saturday afternoon. I started off drinking a 4 pack of beer and as tolerance developed I could easily down 6 beers without getting the spins or puking. No slurred speech or walking into walls either. Just a enjoyable slightly drunken feeling. The hangover the next day was nothing too unbearable. No headache just lethargy and a bit of queasiness.

Anyway last month I decided to drink my regular 6 pack. After 2 beers I started feeling a lot more intoxicated than I normally would after 2 bottles. After 3 beers I was getting the spins and felt like puking. I stupidly drank all 6 and ended up vomiting and could hardly walk as I was drunk. I passed out on my bed and woke up with a hangover. I put it down to dehydration as it was a hot day. I tried drinking again two weeks later and after 2 beers could really feel the intoxication a lot more than normal. After 3 bottles the room felt like it was spinning and I got a nagging feeling in the pit of my gut of wanting to vomit. Cracked open another beer. Took one sip of the warm dark beer and felt disgusted by the strong bitter burnt coffee taste and had to tip it out (I normally drink beer cold but read dark beer taste better warm - never again will drink warm beer). The next day I woke up with a freaking hangover from 3 beers! Not a strong one but just enough to let me know I had a bit too much. This is strange since I'd never had the spins or got a hangover from 3 beers and thought my tolerance would have gone up not down! I've heard of reverse tolerance and this occurs in people whose livers suddenly no longer process alcohol as efficiently due to damage from past excessive drinking. This isn't from aging since this just happened suddenly. And like I said reverse tolerance tends to happen in people who've abused the crap out of their liver with daily heavy drinking.

What do you people reckon? Anyone else experience this or know of other people who could drink like a fish then suddenly one day start feeling like a few drinks is already too much? I'm not on any medications. So nothing to increase the effects of alcohol

tl;dr - used to be able to drink a 6 pack of beer and be ok then suddenly one day 3 beers is enough to make me almost puke and wake up with a hangover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 01:24 AM
Social Pothole

I dunno, maybe liver fatigue. I think it usually takes a lot of consistent long term binge drinking to see any significant damage in liver, but you never know. I think alcohols like beer usually are still light on alcohol content for get this unless you drink like ALOT. But it does seem like your drinking trends could be the start of alcoholism in general. So best to cut back and take a lengthy break perhaps.

One of my uncles is like you too, he has been a very heavy drinker for decades and he could drink a lot. But recent years, he starts getting drunk very fast. So he could be his liver getting weaker and can't process the alcohol that well.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 01:59 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I can't see that happening from beer & especially the amount you're talking about, I've drank way more plus spirits etc over the years, though everyone's different some it takes alot to damage some a little, tolerance should be able to go up to alcoholism territory in an otherwise healthy individual though.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
I dunno, maybe liver fatigue. I think it usually takes a lot of consistent long term binge drinking to see any significant damage in liver, but you never know. I think alcohols like beer usually are still light on alcohol content for get this unless you drink like ALOT. But it does seem like your drinking trends could be the start of alcoholism in general. So best to cut back and take a lengthy break perhaps.

One of my uncles is like you too, he has been a very heavy drinker for decades and he could drink a lot. But recent years, he starts getting drunk very fast. So he could be his liver getting weaker and can't process the alcohol that well.
The thing is 6 beers a fortnight isn't exactly very heavy drinking and I've been doing this for far less time than decades. Though I do gulp it all down in under an hour and probably am overloading my liver. I don't see myself turning into an alcoholic anytime soon. Can't stand the hangovers and the sick spinning feeling.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
I can't see that happening from beer & especially the amount you're talking about, I've drank way more plus spirits etc over the years, though everyone's different some it takes alot to damage some a little, tolerance should be able to go up to alcoholism territory in an otherwise healthy individual though.
That's what I was thinking regarding tolerance. Should go up not just suddenly drop off.

Many in my family are pretty heavy drinkers. One knocking back 4 liters of red wine a day for about a decade before liver collapsed. Another emptying a bottle of whisky every single day for a few decades until liver gave up. The difference is they were spacing out their drinks while I gulp mine over an hour on an empty stomach which might be a shock to and overloading my liver. Though I have been using cbd oil a lot recently and dare I say it a little bit of heroin once a week for the past few months. Just swallowing or railing a small 3mg bump to replace alcohol to self medicate for sa. I know heroin can damage the liver but I aint no junkie using that $*** everyday. And I don't use it on the days I drink either.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 03:03 AM
Social Pothole

Quote:
Originally Posted by samboychippies View Post
The thing is 6 beers a fortnight isn't exactly very heavy drinking and I've been doing this for far less time than decades. Though I do gulp it all down in under an hour and probably am overloading my liver. I don't see myself turning into an alcoholic anytime soon. Can't stand the hangovers and the sick spinning feeling.

Yeah it's not, I think most people that experience permanent liver damage or conditions like cirrhosis are drinking lots of hard liquor on a very consistent basis. I've seen those with some bums here. 6 beers or even few glasses of wine a fortnight will likely not get you there, aside from a beer belly

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 07:11 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Whatever the case, you obviously did something your body didn't like. Take a break from it and if you still want to drink, maybe try again in a couple of months. If it keeps happening, stop doing that and ask a doctor about it.

/WYSD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 11:40 AM
Chonker

Best to get a blood test and doctor exam if really concerned. I thought I had done some damage but after a checkup the doctor gave me the clear. The liver regrows which is pretty amazing, as long as you haven't done enough damage to cause scarring. I've noticed that certain alcohol drinks have changed effect over the years, I can't drink liquor anymore because it makes me so ill.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page