post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

Anyone here suffer from this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:41 PM
SAS Member

Re: Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)

Unfortunately I do. It got so bad lately I started medication after so many years of not trying anything.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Spectacular Member

Anti-depressants are the best treatment for GAD specially MAOI's like Nardil.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 08:47 AM

It's what I was diagnosed with many years ago. Did some CBT with it... Although it really wasn't effective.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 PM

I think I have GAD with some SA. I tend to always be worrying about something and when that is over there is always something new. I tend be overly anxious about new things e.g. new routes by car, will I be able to park when I get there, will I be late, will I forget something...?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Aspergian

I was diagnosed with GAD many years ago, I don't take meds for it anymore though it just seemed to make things worse after a while.

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:42 PM
SAS Member

I do too. My doc diagnosed me with GAD before I mentioned my SA, and depression as well. I was a nervous wreck at my first appointment. I take Bupropion (Welbutrin) twice daily, Trazodone (sleep aid) at night, and Xanax for when my anxiety gets bad, but I try not to take it that often. Certainly not everyday, I know I'd get addicted. The Xanax is really the only one that calms me down.

In general I'm just a very nervous person. I can't relax. I rush all the time. I'm a perfectionist (but I'm also a Virgo) I often can't think straight. I overanalyze and overthink things til I drive myself crazy. All of this internally, for the most part. Most people just know me as being quiet and would never guess I had anxiety issues. I just hide it very well.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
SAS Member

yes. that's my primary thing, i believe. i feel like i'm "in trouble" all the time. i wake up feeling that way. i take klonopin prn. it helps when i have to be around other people. i'm pretty paranoid, so i work from home instead of an office. i think that might change at some point soon, though.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten
In general I'm just a very nervous person. I can't relax. I rush all the time. I'm a perfectionist (but I'm also a Virgo) I often can't think straight. I overanalyze and overthink things til I drive myself crazy. All of this internally, for the most part. Most people just know me as being quiet and would never guess I had anxiety issues. I just hide it very well.
That describes me quite well (except I am Aquarius and just on effexor).
I have feelings of dread a lot. This morning I got wound up about a recent job interview and went over questions in my head analysing if I failed the interview or not (will hear in a week)....and if I will find another job as that is the final company in one area I am looking at and I would need to look for something different....and I worried about driving to a riding lesson at a new stables today.....and my Mum is visiting tomorrow and she will disprove of any restaurants/shopping ideas I come up with!

I actually did exceptionally well at the riding lesson. I did not have a pounding heart or butterflies before the lesson despite not having ridden for a year I got wound up during the journey that I would get lost and be late (even with a GPS ) but actually got there early and without being a nervous wreck (well stressed at times but manageable). Shows some of this CBT works, and practice helps.
Job interviews on the other hand
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 AM

This sounds exactly like me. My doc diagnosed me with GAD and i took paxil for a small time. Now its back and I cannot relax at all. constant nervousness. i have considered going back on some type of med.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:48 AM
Permanently Banned

I've never been diagnosed with GAD, probably because my psychiatrist figures it would be redundant as the treatment is the same as for SA, plus SA is by far my biggest problem.

Alcohol works wonders for GAD.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:06 AM
SAS Member

Alcohol was indeed the first treatment popularly approved for GAD; historically 4 out of 5 anxiety sufferers preferred alcohol over how they felt normally. Until laudanum became available.

Anyway, I want to talk about GAD really bad. That's why I'm here. I think the GAD I feel goes along with perfectionism too, but some half formed variety that mostly rears its head in private, like how I grind my teeth and wake up in the night feeling deeply ashamed. And otherwise, how I can't remember basic facts in a group setting, especially when asked to "tell us a little about yourself" or talk about what I've learned. I'm rambling and I lose people, and I say incredibly terrible things. Then I dissociate and I want to eat tons and become obsessed with how stupid I sound. Then just at home, I contemplate all things that could possibly go wrong. If I'm inside long enough, I become paranoid that I will be attacked. All the while, my nervous system is set to "hi" (sweating, jumpiness, queasy, pit in stomach, headaches).

In terms of my GAD, which manifests primarily as a type of Social Anxiety that occurs whether or not I'm with people... I found the "Laughing at my foibles" thread very relevant, especially as it concerns perfectionism and doing new things, and job interviews.

I'm just now learning to laugh at my foibles too. The more I am able to do that, the better other strategies work for GAD, such as deep breathing, meditation and klonopin. (Paxil made me very nervous and terrified of everyone while I was taking it. I'm sure that was a paradoxical reaction.)

I don't know if anyone can relate to what I'm about to say... but, I found that my self concept really has contributed to GAD and Social Anxiety. It wasn't one that I constructed, it was one that was chosen for me. It had to do with a dissonance between the abilities ascribed me and what I was actually able to do. More specifically, my family expected me to be especially academic, to be intelligent and contribute something important. I certainly am not this person, and in fact have difficulty understanding most things-- especially social rules and what others are saying. But, I didn't want to disappoint anyone out of a basic fear of being abandoned.
This already feels like too much self-disclosure, but I wanted to write it because I think it's one half of the basis of my GAD and SA. I think that the other half is some endocrinological (sp) habit. Who knows where it came from; it just must be stopped.

Anyway, something that happened yesterday that made me feel like I was closer to some kind of recovery, if partial. In short, I admitted to my entire class that I had no idea what some of the political terms used in our readings meant (before), that I had no idea what I was talking about, and what I'd presented last week didn't make the least bit of sense. I felt really very happy about not having to be right, or good and especially not anyone's "brightest student". If they weren't so embarrassing I'd wear one of those t-shirts that says "I'm not your role model". If there's one thing that breaks my heart it's when someone says "I expect more of you than other people" I just want to be wrong. I don't want to be right or good or set examples. I want to be able to say "I don't know this..." or "I don't know wtf is going on" and have other people explain things to me and still be valuable.

I have no doubt that even this post will be amplifying my GAD today.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:38 PM

I just get sleepy or depressed on alcohol but sometimes helps SA.
well I'm awake at about 6am as worried because I can't find a job after many months and I'm running a festival next weekend, and have a pit in my stomach (I'm sure I grind my teeth too). I wake up stressed and tired but can't go back to sleep. Usually it is 7-9 at the morning even if I can sleep in so I might as well get up.
I came on here to find out more about getting over GAD, I think I will Google it. I go from one big worry to another and keep thinking I'll be OK after that one.

What terrible things do you say? I get very snappy and rude if I think something is unfair and end up being really mean to people because I think I need to be standing up for myself so people don't walk over me. I then feel I can't go back to those places after creating bad feeling.

I live in constant fear of me not shutting my chickens away once and a fox eating them. One got attacked once and had to be put down. I know I sometimes do silly things (due to anxiety) like drop things/break things/forget things and that it only takes one slip.
I always think of bad things that could go wrong e.g. car crash, someone following me. I jump at really strange things like there's a noise a bus makes If I'm using a hairdryer I nearly go flying if someone appears in the room that I thought was somewhere else.

What sort of reaction did you get from your class, I'm glad you felt better by doing that. I always struggle to know what is "right" e.g. have I got low confidence in myself or am I really struggling?

You've not said anything embarrassing/wrong in your post BTW.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 AM
SAS Member

I have a severe case of GAD.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Anyone here taking meds for GAD?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 PM
SAS Member

Thanks Shy (for reassuring me).... yeah that whole not being able to sleep thing is horrendous. I'm a zombie sometimes. Oftentimes, though I realize that all the anxiety is because no one is communicating with me.... so my brain fills in all the rest (how stupid I must sound, etc). But I do say some crap things... accidentally mean, accidentally v. not-socially sensitive. And like lots of people, I sometimes I say things that I don't really mean, but not to lie, just because I'm super nervous.... and some weird robot starts talking (not me) saying the darndest crap.

I blurt out normal dumb things too like "oh! when's the baby due" ... reply: "it's not, I'm just fat" and "oh! is that your granddaughter?" reply: "no it's my daughter" and.... but also just plain weird things.

As a result people sometimes don't take the time to get to know me and then miss out on many many more weird things I can say.

AND

I farted in class the other day on accident. It was so loud. No one would acknowledge it. I think that made me feel worse than if people clowned me.

IronB:
as I mentioned, I'm taking Klonopin. I was supposed to be on Zoloft but it makes me very aggro and tooth grindy. I have flat molars like elephants get when they're really old and can't eat anymore. Except I can get implants and not die.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 PM
SAS Member

Exercise is a great method of dealing with GAD, especially a vigorous, daily session of cardio at the gym
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeet
Thanks Shy (for reassuring me).... yeah that whole not being able to sleep thing is horrendous. I'm a zombie sometimes. Oftentimes, though I realize that all the anxiety is because no one is communicating with me.... so my brain fills in all the rest (how stupid I must sound, etc). But I do say some crap things... accidentally mean, accidentally v. not-socially sensitive. And like lots of people, I sometimes I say things that I don't really mean, but not to lie, just because I'm super nervous.... and some weird robot starts talking (not me) saying the darndest crap.

I blurt out normal dumb things too like "oh! when's the baby due" ... reply: "it's not, I'm just fat" and "oh! is that your granddaughter?" reply: "no it's my daughter" and.... but also just plain weird things.

As a result people sometimes don't take the time to get to know me and then miss out on many many more weird things I can say.

AND

I farted in class the other day on accident. It was so loud. No one would acknowledge it. I think that made me feel worse than if people clowned me.

IronB:
as I mentioned, I'm taking Klonopin. I was supposed to be on Zoloft but it makes me very aggro and tooth grindy. I have flat molars like elephants get when they're really old and can't eat anymore. Except I can get implants and not die.
Maybe you're too hard on yourself, it's down to anxiety it's not like you're doing it delibrately, it can make you do crazy things. I opened a secure door after being told to wait, I just couldn't stop myself even though I knew I shouldn't be doing it. I trip over things when I know they are there. I say lots of really silly things, luckily I have an OH who seems to accept it. I make up my own names for things, and change the words to songs.

P.S. I'm always really windy! Maybe it's stomach upset from being anxious a lot?

I've joined a gym, but it's not significantly affected my anxiety yet. It eased depression for a few minutes on very bad days, but didn't make it go away as the issues were still there.
I'm on venlafaxine which I think is for depression or anxiety. I have trouble relaxing. I can relax at a yoga class where someone talks me through it, but at home I can't concentrate and start thinking about other things. The best solution I have found is being distracted, if I am bored I feel a lot worse as there is nothing to do except worry.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:36 AM

I am also a GAD sufferer. I'm on Citalopram for it and it has helped me to keep it fairly under control.

I spend most of my time being anxious and worrying. I can never relax and am always uptight.

The worse time is at night when I can't get to sleep, or when I do sleep I have anxiety/tension dreams. I end up waking up feeling tense which sets the tone for my day.

And the most terrible thing of all is that the country where I live is currently infected with violent crime. It has the 2nd highest crime rate in the world. It is worse for people like me with GAD because I can't rationalise with myself and say "these things won't happen" when the reality is that they can and will happen.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that, Seashell

I know exactly what you mean. I was constantly anxious, afraid, irritable, overthinking/analyzing everything, cried often, didn't go out, and had the biggest headaches at least 4 times a week. I thought my brain was gonna explode. I just feel so much better now. It didn't help me being a hypochondriac either.

When did you find out you had GAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaShell
I am also a GAD sufferer. I'm on Citalopram for it and it has helped me to keep it fairly under control.

I spend most of my time being anxious and worrying. I can never relax and am always uptight.

The worse time is at night when I can't get to sleep, or when I do sleep I have anxiety/tension dreams. I end up waking up feeling tense which sets the tone for my day.

And the most terrible thing of all is that the country where I live is currently infected with violent crime. It has the 2nd highest crime rate in the world. It is worse for people like me with GAD because I can't rationalise with myself and say "these things won't happen" when the reality is that they can and will happen.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page