Finding pros in social anxiety disorder - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely

Finding pros in social anxiety disorder

I have a history of mental illness I was diagnosed with ADHD at 7, dislxiea/disgrafiea at 8, and now at 22 social anxiety and depression

How I deal with these is to find good things that I Have as a result of the disability or the copeing mechanisms

I work as a emergency medical technician (EMT)(works on an ambulance)

ADHD PROS
Has given me abilities like reacting to emergencies and changes in the environment vary quickly and hyper focuses are amazing for getting enormous amounts of school done if I can "trigger" them
Last the hyperactivity if controlled gives mental speed allowing me to diagnose illnesses and prioritize treatments faster

dislxiea PROS
When writing I learned to use a few simple words in shorter sentences to put as much information in compact no filler this help enormously in the medial feeld as mediacal reports need to be short and simple, this also teaches simple solutions logic this I draw on for all of my EMT work as simple is almost always better

Social anxiety
This learning from struggles helped with my Illnesses up to now
Ideas about potential pros will help me and I hope my methods and your idea help others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 05:39 PM
Str
Creating stuff

My Mood: Paranoid
One of the PROS of social anxiety is empathy I think. You are better at understanding others who go through anxiety, and people who feel uncomfortable in social situations may feel more at ease with you (still depends on your personality too).

I don't officially have ADD, but I do have some of the symptoms, and I have that same hyperfocus sometimes, it can be really awesome. It's like getting complelely sucked into a movie/book/music in such a way that you forget about time.

If you want to talk to me, send me a message.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str View Post
One of the PROS of social anxiety is empathy I think. You are better at understanding others who go through anxiety, and people who feel uncomfortable in social situations may feel more at ease with you (still depends on your personality too).

I don't officially have ADD, but I do have some of the symptoms, and I have that same hyperfocus sometimes, it can be really awesome. It's like getting complelely sucked into a movie/book/music in such a way that you forget about time.
I make people uncomfortable But it might be true though for many people. At least I feel more comfortable around quiet and shy people. I just don't know anyone in real life whose anxiety is as bad as mine. About two years ago I saw an anxious cashier who was visibly nervous and shaking and I thought he is a hero!

I have hyperfocus too sometimes. But SA... I'm not going to pretend there's anything good about it. At least not for me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page