Fear of paying attention and what to do about it? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Fear of paying attention and what to do about it?

Not sure what there is to be afraid of, but I think that there might be some fear associated with paying attention. Which could loop back to being clumsy, distant, and out of touch in general. This sounds like a nasty loop here because if I didn't pay attention, I'm not sure I'd know there'd might be a tucked away fear of being in the present moment. Maybe it's tethered to a fear of possibly missing something in the future; or that things are just too overwhelming; or maybe it's not fear, and it's actually boredom, and I create the fear to buffer the boredom; but then it'll just be a fear of boredom, in which one replaces one fear with another? And I'm not so sure why the stuffs in one's mind is labeled as more exciting than what's going on in the present.

I think I might need some help here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:05 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
Hmm you mean like paying attention to tasks and studying and stuff? Or do you mean like focusing mental attention towards just thoughts in general? Cause i struggle with the latter but probably not for the same reasons as you do.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad1231234 View Post
Hmm you mean like paying attention to tasks and studying and stuff? Or do you mean like focusing mental attention towards just thoughts in general? Cause i struggle with the latter but probably not for the same reasons as you do.
I guess it's being present in general. I think I have fear around this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:29 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeomTech View Post
I guess it's being present in general. I think I have fear around this.
i'm afraid of being in the present too, i feel like i am running away from reality or something. Is that what you have?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad1231234 View Post
i'm afraid of being in the present too, i feel like i am running away from reality or something. Is that what you have?
Yeah; or so I think.

Probably because this place just sucks. Pure poo poo realm. But I need to do this; I have to stop scampering away like a scared rabbit. It's uber hard not to, though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:10 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yeah; or so I think.

Probably because this place just sucks. Pure poo poo realm. But I need to do this; I have to stop scampering away like a scared rabbit. It's uber hard not to, though.
We cant change the fact that we live in this realm but we can make our mind into our own realm, a realm of happiness and peace and freedom.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 03:16 AM
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed
It sounds like Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Do you have that?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:17 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Enlgish
I have GAD. Sometimes I have more anxiety when I'm present especially when I'm in public. That's the ego and pain body resisting and if you identify with it it pulls you right in. Your consciousness is like a flashlight in the dark, the brighter it is the more clarity you have.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDuck View Post
It sounds like Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Do you have that?
I haven't been diagnosed. As far as I know, I only have SAD (officially diagnosed), but I wouldn't be surprised if I had it. Ugh.... Diagnosed with more crap. I'm pretty scared of going back to a shrink (or any medical professional); or better yet a psychiatrist so they can put me on meds or whatever. Yikes, yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
I have GAD. Sometimes I have more anxiety when I'm present especially when I'm in public. That's the ego and pain body resisting and if you identify with it it pulls you right in. Your consciousness is like a flashlight in the dark, the brighter it is the more clarity you have.
Indeed. I guess it's that which I think is lurking in the dark that scares me. *sigh*. Probably need to re-read the "A new earth" book.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
I haven't been diagnosed. As far as I know, I only have SAD (officially diagnosed), but I wouldn't be surprised if I had it. Ugh.... Diagnosed with more crap. I'm pretty scared of going back to a shrink (or any medical professional); or better yet a psychiatrist so they can put me on meds or whatever. Yikes, yikes.

Indeed. I guess it's that which I think is lurking in the dark that scares me. *sigh*. Probably need to re-read the "A new earth" book.
If you haven't read The Power Of Now do that instead. It's more direct in explaining the ego and presence.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 12:17 PM
Duke Duck

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:

You can go to a counselor for therapy and tell them that you don't want to take meds. They'll respect you and do the therapy without it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page