Extreme lack of focus/Drive!! - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Extreme lack of focus/Drive!!

So I have had Social Anxiety/Major depression for the last ten years. I have noticed particularly in the last 2 years that I cannot concentrate on ANYTHING! To the point where I dont enjoy hobbies anymore (music especially) because I cant concentrate. My work performance is rapidly decreasing and is being noticed. I'm at the point where I'm about to quit because I cant function anymore. My Psych says this is a classic side effect of anxiety & depression. I'm wondering if I need to get checked for ADD?

My entire adult life I havent been able to finish anything e.g I've dropped out of university 4 times due to not being able to complete things on time/ plan effectively. Not sure what to do from here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Zzzzzzz

I'm in the same boat, hope you feel better.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:43 PM
SAS Member

Like wise. I didn't realize it was particularly common though. Thank you for sharing.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

This is my group: The Lame Humor Group
Join us, or dye shirts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 AM
SAS Member

Lack of concentration is a common side effect of depression. I quit a job once because I couldn't concentrate enough to get things done. I've also had similar problems at university. The job thing was so bad I began to think that I had ADD. But now I'm more or less convinced that it was depression. Looking back at my life, my lack of concentration, drive and focus has been episodic, and more based on feeling down and unmotivated, rather than a lack of ability. When I feel ok and reasonably motivated, I can usually concentrate just fine. Also, if you've been able to concentrate before, but getting noticeably worse now, it's unlikely to be ADD since that starts in childhood. Your lack of concentration should have been a major problem since you were a child.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:29 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Lack of concentration is a common side effect of depression. I quit a job once because I couldn't concentrate enough to get things done. I've also had similar problems at university. The job thing was so bad I began to think that I had ADD. But now I'm more or less convinced that it was depression. Looking back at my life, my lack of concentration, drive and focus has been episodic, and more based on feeling down and unmotivated, rather than a lack of ability. When I feel ok and reasonably motivated, I can usually concentrate just fine. Also, if you've been able to concentrate before, but getting noticeably worse now, it's unlikely to be ADD since that starts in childhood. Your lack of concentration should have been a major problem since you were a child.
I would agree with everything said by Quatermass. A couple questions though, you said you're seeing a therapist, what do they say about this issue? And have you ever tried antidepressants? I know they're not for everyone, but if your life is so negatively impacted by your depression maybe it's worth a try.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My therapist has said that basically it's just the depression and negative thoughts that are occupying my mind and distracting me. I have tried many different medications. About to start Nardil in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping it helps!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Pensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAlexander View Post
My therapist has said that basically it's just the depression and negative thoughts that are occupying my mind and distracting me. I have tried many different medications. About to start Nardil in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping it helps!
Good to hear you're trying Nardil. Keep us updated on your progress.
Good luck!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM
SAS Member

I've also had a hard time enjoying things and concentrating. It was so bad that I couldn't do anything. I went to my doctor and he put me on a new medication (antidepressant). It has helped a little bit and I am able to do things but I am still having a hard time fully concentrating or enjoying it. I was told to start taking two of the medication instead of one in a week since I am still weaning off my other medication. It'll be a week tomorrow so I really hope it helps some more and I find a change. If your doctor thinks its the depression than it probably is likely that's what it is. ADD doesn't always start from childhood, it is possible to get it later in life. You could always ask your doctor about it and see if they think that's a possibility.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 02:51 PM
SAS Member

Me too sometimes I think the most simple of people are lucky cause they are happy with what they know.

“Do not fail to do a good deed because it is small;
do not commit a bad deed because it is small”

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page