Everything feels detached and unreal - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Realistic

Everything feels detached and unreal

I'm having this strange "episodes" which are happening more often and a bit more intense as time passes. Nothing feels real. My surroundings , everything feels detached. I even feel detached from myself and my body and I find it confusing how words etc are coming out of my mouth etc. Everything feels unreal , that's the best way I can describe it. Many months ago I remember having the most intense episode of this ever. To the point , where I kept touching my surroundings like an alien, because the feeling got really scary and intense. I asked the people around me if they could check my pulse to see if I'm alive, they said im fine, but they said I looked very pale. Is this derealization ? Does it happen in varying intensities?

I prefer the harsh , cold truth over a beautiful lie anyday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Permanently Banned

I don't know if this is what's happening to you, but sometimes I accidentally hypnotize myself and enter into an alternate / altered state of consciousness. Feels weird but good, like my senses and cognitive function are operating differently, hearing, and sight especially.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:22 PM
CauseIknowhowithurts

Like a Lana Del Rey video, I get it

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:49 AM
SAS Member

I think I understand what you mean, because I've had similar experiences and now believe that it's connected to my anxiety.

It might not be the exact same thing, but this is my experience. Sometimes when I get very stressed out (or am forced to be social for much longer than I'm comfortable with) I kind of 'withdraw' into my own head. That's the best I can describe it. It's like I'm observing what's happening around me, but it feels a bit like a dream. I'm watching everything happening without really being there. I listen to myself talk, listen to the words that are coming out of my own mouth without realising or really controlling what I'm saying.

Only it's different from being drunk. I know exactly what's happening around me, it's just no longer 'real' and I'm not fully there anymore. I'm detached.

The first time this happened, I thought I might be going mad But it's happened a few times since and it doesn't really bother me. It's not particularly scary, just a bit disorientating. This only lasts for very brief periods of time anyway; somewhere between 5-20 seconds, for me. I blink myself out of it and regain focus pretty easily. I did a little research into this and yes, I think this is 'derealisation'. When I read through the symptoms, it matched what I've experienced. I'm not a doctor or psychiatrist or anything, so I'm essentially self-diagnosing this experience. But it's supposedly a coping mechanism for bouts of anxiety, so I think it makes sense.

If you're interested, try typing 'derealisation and anxiety' into Google and take a look at what comes up.

Hope this helped
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:48 PM
SAS Member

It's probably because you are in a space of deep realization of something, whatever that may be, so you cope by making yourself feel detached.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 PM
<-Rat Lord->

I don't know exactly what it is, could be an entirely different thing for you.
But I experience the same stuff often. So you're not alone.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Relaxed
I think have a similar thing going on. It feels like a quick flash that overwhelms me. It happens at random times. I remember trying to explain it to my brother once when I was younger but it was really hard. I have these moments where suddenly everything feels surreal and I do feel detached like you said. But mine last for less than 10 seconds and then I feel normal again. When it happens, I feel pretty hopeless and my problems seem to temporarily escalate. I used to wonder if everybody else had the same episodes, but I never knew how to explain it so I couldn't really bring it up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue32 View Post
I think have a similar thing going on. It feels like a quick flash that overwhelms me. It happens at random times. I remember trying to explain it to my brother once when I was younger but it was really hard. I have these moments where suddenly everything feels surreal and I do feel detached like you said. But mine last for less than 10 seconds and then I feel normal again. When it happens, I feel pretty hopeless and my problems seem to temporarily escalate. I used to wonder if everybody else had the same episodes, but I never knew how to explain it so I couldn't really bring it up.
It's pretty scary , when I was young I couldn't explain them , they were also less intense . As I get older, I don't get these episodes as often but when I do they last longer . Yeah, it happens at random times, I don't believe it's anxiety triggered for me.

I prefer the harsh , cold truth over a beautiful lie anyday.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:07 AM
SAS Member

This is dissociation (a.k.a.: depersonalization/derealization). It used to happen to me a lot. I'd "clock out" for hours, sometimes days, on end. It was usually triggered by intense, unrelenting emotions, so when the switch in my brain flipped "off," it often came with a sense of relief -- though I can distinctly remember some episodes that were very frightening in spite of this (nothing quite like convincing "yourself" that "you" are actually dead, right?). In its mild form, it's a fairly common experience (i.e.: day-dreaming, "zoning out," etc.), but generally, regular and/or particularly intense periods dissociation are symptomatic of more serious problems lurking under the surface. For me, it was untreated mental illness, and later on some trauma. I think that if you analyze what you're feeling/what situations you're in before these episodes are induced, you'll discover its roots.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page