Erythrophobia? Fear of blushing - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 01:30 PM
SAS Member

The worst thing you can do is avoid a situation, what you avoid makes you more scared, you don't avoid the tiger because your scared of the tiger you scared of the tiger because you avoid it. It is the fear of blushing that causes excessive and unnatural blushing,you cannot stop blushing until you lose the fear of it.

www.selfimprovementathome.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 02:28 PM
SAS Member

I suffered with a fear of blushing for about ten years, You fear what you don't want to happen or what you dread happening, once you no longer care if you blush the fear will start to diminish. Because you don''t want to blush the mind perceives it as a problem that you must avoid. The old saying what you resist persists is very true.

www.selfimprovementathome.com
post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM
SAS Member

It's all about changing the way to think about and relate to blushing. If you would learn how to stop worrying about it, it will go away! This is really not that easy but when you know how to, it completely stops! And when it stops, you stop worrying, and the vicious cycle is gone If you want to learn more a great site is

http://howdoistopblushing.org/

post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 03:15 AM
SAS Member

Solutions

Blushing can be debilitating, especially when you get into that endless cycle of "Oh no, I'm beginning to blush, how embarrassing." so your brain makes you blush more and so on. I'll go over the common solutions.

1) Pills/creams to medicate the issue. The top sponsored link on Google for "cure blushing" is selling pills to stop this (http://www.eredicane.com/index.html?...FQTHtAodFGcAPQ). It's debatable whether these work, and their money back guarantee doesn't apply to bottles you have opened (meaning if you buy one bottle of 30, you can't get anything back) and they can get pretty expensive if you have to continue taking them long term.

2) Surgery. For some people this has worked, but their methodology is scary, involving cutting the nerve chains responsible for blushing. This article details some of the side effects of it, and of some of the drugs used to treat blushing- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-blushing.html.

3) Positive thinking. Trying to accept it and work on it yourself, as some other in this thread have suggested, can help some people. A quick Google will produce many results for self-therapy to help stop blushing. It can be difficult for some though, as it's very hard to train your brain to stop thinking the way it does about a particular subject. If I tell you not to think about pink elephants, the first thing that pops into your head is pink elephants.

4) Psychotherapy and hypnotherapy are also common treatments for the condition. See if there are any qualified therapists in your area, or to save some time and money, have a look online. There are many cheaper videos, tapes and e-books (such as the one mentioned above) that you can find, but as blushing can result from deep-seated anxiety issues, a more comprehensive treatment will probably result in greater success. They're more expensive, but try this one: http://www.stopblushingblueprint.com/ which includes heaps of content including worksheets, videos and audio. Type in your e-mail and you can try out a few videos for free.

If you have any questions or need any advice, feel free to reply or PM me.
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM
SAS Member

omg! I have the sameee thingg!!!! THIS CAN HELP!

OK so it it all started at the start of the school year in the 8th grade... i was reading out in class, and normally i dont have a problem with it. But then, something new and unexpected thing occurred. I felt my face starting to heat up and blush. I looked up and thought "oh i sure hope nobody's looking" yet i continued to read. Little did i know, that was the start of something much worse. Several days later i had to read again. For the second time i was put on the spot. Most people would find it normal and expected that i would blush as i was put on the spot, but this was not the case. As i began to read, i felt the same thing, although this time, the blushing increased. I immediately began to panic and think "oh no, i am blushing." The more i thought about this, the worse my blushing would get. As much as i tried to relax, nothing would help. Then, as if that was bad, it happened once again; this time while i was at my guitar lesson. IN the middle of the lesson, i felt it again. Just as i got over this whole fear, it came back. I thought "oh no i hope i dont blush, i hope i dont blush." And BOOM i began blushing. THe more i tried to make it go away, the worse it would get. And so in the middle the lesson, i just got up while i was playing and walked away. It was mortifying! Although, during the year, i found a few things that helped me a bit. First of all, makeup. This is just one of the things u can do to help yourself. If u put a little but of green conceler over where u blush the most, and put foundation over it, it would help a lot. There are also some mental things you can do too. Try to relax; and I know it seems pretty impossible at the time, but i foud that deep breathing seems to do the trick. I also carry around a cold bottle of water too where ever i go.U can also direct your blood flow to ur hands by imagining they are over a flame or something. At last result, there is always surgery and some thing called eridcane (a medicine) that i am thinking about getting. It helps with blushing. There are also beta blockers out there which should not be used unless last resort because it is serious and slows down ur heart rate to lessen the effects of blushing. As you can tell i've done my research, but since i have the same thing as you, ik you probably want the help as much as i did. Anway sorry that was long... but i hope it was worth the reading, and here is a youtube video that is VERY helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_JytNsB7D0 good luck!!!
post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM
wma

Never realised there was a name/diagnosis for this. When the attention is on me in a group situation I feel my face burning .same thing happens if somebody approaches me to ask me a question whilst I'm not expecting it.
post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 PM
SAS Member

I feel exactly the same as you lot! Its so terrible and I reckon if I didn't have erythrophobia when I was at school I would have been a more outgoing person and would have achieved a lot more than I have. I'm currently seeing my therapist weekly for CBT - Hopefully it can help cure me or at least help me find ways to become more social
post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
I did but not as bad as before.
post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 11:00 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemisshy View Post
Maybe a 'light at the end of the tunnel' for you....
I blushed even if someone looked at me from about aged 10 (or as far back as I can remember) until about 30yrs old.
It was so bad that kids at school would tease me and some people called me "Rosie".
It just stopped happening so frequently just out of the blue. I still have episodes now but it may only happen 10% of the time.
I tried everything to 'cover it' foundation (which is pretty good actually) and beta blockers. It was horrible when it happened, so I know how you feel.
I remember looking in the mirror sometimes when it happened, and I wasnt as flushed as I thought I was, it just 'feels that way'.
I think most people just 'grow out of it' eventually. Well, I think thats what happened to me.
Fantastic point. At one point this blushing was the low point of my SA. And once I looked in the mirror and it was nowhere near as bad as I had imagined. A slight reddish tinge but not blatantly obvious as embarrassment.

My cheeks go very red when I drink also. But yeah, the worst are the ones where its like a wall of heat consumes your face and then a sweat breaks out. When the sweat arrives as well I feel even more uncomfortable.
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 AM
M90
SAS Member

Ah, so there's a name for the condition...

Anyway, I've blushed for 10+ years. Had surgery done a year ago, but it didn't affect the blushing. And one of the side effects of the surgery is hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) which is now a major part of my daily life. I've also tried betablockers, but didn't help, at all. Tried laser 3 times (I think it was IPL-laser), but it was too expensive VS the effect. Going to try an other type of laser on wednesday (and it's even free, yay!)

Oh, and my therapist tells me the only way to get rid of the blushing is to just accept it, and don't give a f-ck about turning red. Because I am the only one who really cares about it, and have made it into a bigger problem than it really is. He also calls it a paper-tiger, which I think is pretty funny.
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Permanently Banned

get some tan to hide whenever you blush
post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:32 AM
SAS Member

TIPS To Stop Blushing

Let me start off by saying I haven't completely stopped blushing or feeling anxious about it occasionally. However, I have really diminished the effect it has on me and can go months without even thinking about it and it is still getting better. I have never seen a doctor nor am I one, so you should probably listen to a doctor over what I have to say. I'm going to start off with how my fear began then move to potential fixes for you. Please note that the solutions are based around getting you to stop thinking about it, which is how you actually beat it. This post is filled with several inner thoughts and small tweaks in your thinking that will hopefully help you out.

How it started for me: I had always blushed occasionally and figured this out my senior year of high school when I looked in the mirror and saw how red I was. I didn't really think too much of it at the time though. Then, my freshman year of college, I was talking with my newfound friends when another kid blushed uncontrollably and could hardly speak out of anxiety. My friends and I left a few minutes later and they all said to each other "man that kid was so damn awkward." It really hit me hard and made me think too much about it I guess. I soon became the blusher and kids would ask me "why are you always so red?"

Keep in mind that a lot of the above will play into how I really came up with a solution.

1.5 years later, my first solution: (this isn't what I use now but you can certaintly use it) through all the ups and downs and people calling me awkward (when I used to be a normal, funny kid) I had a class with another kid that blushed way more than I did. It was interesting because I could now observe how others reacted to him without fear of the spotlight from being red. He must not have known about the issue because he didn't seem to be affected by it much. From observing others react to him it became obvious that no one really noticed or cared. From this I determined that "it doesn't ever matter. Ever." Why? Because if you blush and know it doesn't matter, others don't think it does, or at least don't notice it as much. Now, every time I would start to blush, I would think "it doesn't ever matter ever". And within a week I seemed to forget about the blushing entirely. This lasted for two months until I started to get attention from two girls I liked and thought to myself "oh ****, it does matter if I blush and am a wreck now, doesn't it?" To make matters worse, an acquaintance of mine came up to me with a week of classes left and said, "I don't think you have any confidence at all. You know you can change that right?"

Let's just say those two girls ended up both completely blowing me off and I had the worst summer mentally I've ever had. I would dwell about how I had to go out and encounter people before it happened and how painful it would be. As most of you can familiarize yourselves with, it was just as painful as I thought it would be.

Beginnings of 2nd solution: Over the summer I started to think about how my acquaintance had told me I had no confidence. I realized I didn't even know what confidence even really was, so he was right; I had zero confidence. I then read an article about how you can really think about anything you want and view yourself how you want. You can think you are a complete failure or you are good just the way you are, it is entirely up to you. And it's true: you can sit there and force yourself to think "I'm really not that bad. I can be confident." The thing is, forcing yourself to overcome negative thoughts becomes easier as you try it more. So every time I would think something like "I have to go to the post office tomorrow. I can't do that because I'll blush." I would stop and say to myself "Stop. I can do it". This helped immensely and led me to realize that blushing is only bad because we think it is.

I read a post on a forum where a girl said she was talking with her teacher when someone came up to her and asked for simple directions. She blushed and barely mumbled some directions. After the person walked away confused, the girl looked at her teacher, said "I have problems", and walked away. From our outside perspective, she only has "problems" because she thinks what she has is a problem. If she didn't think her blushing was a "problem", she would have blushed, given good directions, and continued talking to her teacher. 99.9% of people don't realize erythrophobia exists, hell even Google Chrome is telling me "erythrophobia" is misspelled and suggests I use "hydrophobia" instead. If you don't act like it's a problem, it won't be to others, even if they point it out.

Lastly, at the on campus gym I worked out at, there was some random jacked guy who you could tell just has all of the confidence in the world. He would look, walk, and act like he was the most confident person on the planet, and because of that, it seemed like he was. I thought, "if only I didn't blush, I could be that confident." I continued to think, "what if he blushed? how would this incredibly confident dude react?" I realized he wouldn't care. Because confidence is all about believing in who YOU are and what YOU can do. You could think he was confident because of his physical achievements, but I was in pretty decent shape and had no confidence at all.

2nd and current solution: From the above, I realized that blushing is ENTIRELY how you react to it. If when I blush I avoid eye contact, mumble, and avoid talking people will think I just have no confidence. If I hold eye contact, speak as clearly as I can, and don't avoid talking while I blush, people will think either you just blush a little or something else happened to you. I know this from experience. And after a week of painfully forcing myself to hold eye contact and stay when I wanted to walk away from a conversation due to blushing, I improved drastically and thought about it much less. When I took a shower, instead of thinking about blushing, I would think "just be as confident as possible." When I was driving to class and I would start to think about blushing, I would think "just be as confident as possible." (etc.)

Now over the past week I have regressed slightly as girls have finally started to notice me again, but with everything I have accomplished, my mind has become much stronger. I will blush here and there and feel anxious and fail at the "2nd solution" occasionally, but I realize that I can always fight my way back to where I'm at.

Keep thinking positively and that you can do it. Feel free to ask me any questions, I will try to come on here next week. Another thing, though, is stop coming to this website. Stop searching about blushing. Stop caring because that is why you are having this problem.

Now here is a my favorite motivational video (watch the ENTIRE thing as the last 1.5 minutes or so are the best part (but you have to watch the first 4.5 minutes too)):
Why Do We Fall
post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 02:25 AM
SAS Member

oh man my dreamgirl probably blushed a few times thanks to my weirdness, but I never even noticed once

way too much the dopey newbie off in my broke head when interacting with her
post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 PM
SAS Member

I have an extreme fear of blushing, I'll panic days before an event (walking into my class) i'll feel sick, shake, blank facial expressions and feel very stiff as I am extremely scared of blushing! I am so scarred of doing something wrong I can't even pick up my pen without shaking, feeling sick just thinking about walking to my next class. I only just realized I spent the whole day at school and only said one word! People will just randomly say things to me whilst walking around school, they'll take the crap out of me! For no reason!

Anyone else feel like this? I always sit by myself, and have no friends ;(
post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 09:11 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleewyck View Post
All these "disorder" labels are driving me crazy and making me sound crazy.

Blushing is a serious issue. Someone says something, anything, and *blush*. Doesn't have to be verbal dialogue. Sometimes walking down the street *blush*. An unsuspecting touch *blush*. It doesn't matter what it's about or what it's related too and I don't know why it occurs. It's an awful feeling. People make inferences from the blush that are as likely to be correct as incorrect. It is not controllable.

Emotions aren't easy for me to identify. Fear may or may not be something I experience in relation to blushing. Avoidance, on the other hand, is guaranteed. But the avoidance isn't related singularly to the occurrence of a blush, it is related to the plethora of things that may and do occur.

Is there a fear of irrational and uncontrollable smiling?

Yeah the same happens to me, even when someone walks into the house I blush that I'm not comfortable with. I also laugh uncontrollably, I might just walk towards someone and laugh.
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:27 PM
SAS Member

A CURE : It's called Proranolol!!!!! NO more blushing. If you have erythrophobia you NEED NEED NEED this medication. It's a beta blocker. It literally prevents you from blushing by lowering your blood pressure. It actually does work. It's a miracle for those who suffer from this horrible phobia. I suggest you discuss it with your doctor ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 PM
SAS Member

I posted above some solutions that I had discovered to help me with the problem. The #2 point I made still applies, but I really found out the life changing solution:

Exercise. I'm sure you've heard this before, but the difference is night and day. 20-40 minutes a day of heart-pounding exercise will give instant results. You'll feel better right away. The thing is, after 2 weeks of exercise the anxiety almost completely goes away.

I have always lifted weights, but making sure I give myself an extra 30 minutes for exercise after working out has made me completely different. I don't think about blushing at all. At times I have thought about the blushing problems I have had and that they might come back, but unlike before, these thoughts are easy to dismiss and don't impact my day.

It's interesting because earlier I posted a solution where I would think a phrase over and over to calm myself. This seemed to work, but looking back, I participated in aerobic activity for about 15 minutes a day for two months at the same time I began the phrase repetition. Within two weeks of ending my cardio routine, my problems began to come back.

If you exercise consistently, your problems will fall away. If I go several days without cardio, I begin to feel anxious and worry my problems might be back. But after 3 consecutive days of cardio, I realize how incredible the difference is. My life has changed forever.
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:50 PM
SAS Member

I always thought I just had asian red face.
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
Only if i think about it. I stop thinking about it.
post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 07:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Amazed
ugh, the blushing is the worst part! i swear i wouldn't have SA if i could just get the blushing to stop.
i'm determined to find out why we blush so much more than other people...why our "flight or flight" response revs up so easily. I've tried EVERYTHING! acupuncture, hypnosis, reiki, EFT, healing crystals, meditations, medicine, etc. the meds help but i tend to build a tolerance to them pretty quickly.

i noticed during a trip to europe recently that i was totally fine. i hardly blushed even when standing in front of a large group. i think it has something to do with our food vs their food. i also noticed once while in the library, i felt totally fine, calm, focused. i took a break and ate a candy bar and afterwards i became flushed, sweaty, was nervous some one i knew might show up, etc. etc. anyone else notice this?

i'm trying to eat a low glycemic diet and to stay away from High Fructose Corn Syrup to try and level out my blood sugar, which in turn should help my body not release so much adrenaline. i'll post any findings i have. I'm DETERMINED to help us.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page