Erythrophobia? Fear of blushing - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Occasional Video Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
I blush easily but it does not bother me at all, beacouse woman like it when they make you blush.
Maybe so but it can work against you when talking to another guy. It may give the impression that you like someone to whom you aren't attracted at all. It happened to me a few times at my last job while talking to my supervisor. Although, he didn't see it as a sign of attraction (thank God)- He always thought it meant I was getting pissed off. It happens whenever I'm talking to anyone for more than a few seconds. It's mostly because no matter what the subject is I feel like an idiot and that I shouldn't be part of the conversation. Even though sometimes it's a subject I know relatively well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:32 AM
SAS Member

The solution is iodine!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not tell you how this has changed my life. I was such a chronic blusher that I dropped out of uni, I have turned down promotions, avoided important events etc. Someone only had to look in my direction and RED RED RED. It has had such a huge impact on my life. I am not a shy person, I did not have any social issues until I started blushing. I lived with this for over 20 years. I have done so much research trying to find a cure, not nothing has helped...until iodine. I was once again searching for a cure when I read about iodine. I thought it can't hurt. It cost less than $13 for a bottle which will last a long time. My first experience was when a friend asked me to attend a seminar with her, and against my better judgement, I agreed. I had been taking the iodine for only three days. I thought it was going to be a large gathering of people with a presenter at the front - this I could handle. How wrong I could be! It turned out to be a very intimate discussion with 5 people (including the presenter) sitting at a round table, under bright lights - my absolute worst nightmare. I sat there thinking that this would be the end of my friendship with my very dear friend because after the chronic blushing that I was about to dispaly, I would never be able to face her again. I was holding my coffee cup up close to my face, waiting for the presenter to address me. The fear was almost too much to bear. I was trying to think of a way to get out of the room as quickly as possible. Finally the time came - the presenter asked me to tell the group about myself. My heart stopped, and I waited for the inevitable bright red face to appear.......but it didn't. Time and time again, in situations where I would always blush, my face remained calm!! I began to enjoy the discussion, I even offered my thoughts when I wasn't asked. I can not tell you how this made me feel. I felt NORMAL for the first time in many years. I have read so many articles about people claiming to be able to cure blushing - for quite a large fee. The real cure is really cheap - I use iodine drops, some people use salt with iodine in it - try which ever you want. It works.
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Permanently Banned

This is one of the few SA syptoms I've never experienced. I don't think I ever blush. I've never had anyone mention that I blush nor have I ever been able to catch myself with a red face.

post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
SAS Member

Yes I know the feeling well. I had it all through high school up until bout age 30 as well. It is hell and I understand completely what you guys are going through. But you know what the truth is, other people could really give a rats butt if you turn red. Most people are just concerned with themselves and when you turn red you are kind of submitting to them. Don't submit to them. Get mad. get angry. Don't let other people get you all flustered. Like I said I've been through hell with it years ago . No more for me, thank you
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Ryn
SAS Member

Hi guys,

It's really conforting to hear there are other people going through the same. I'm 25 and have had chronic blushing for as far back as I can rememeber; it's probably got worse in recent years. Sometimes I feel like it completely ruins my life and stops me doing things I shoukd be doing for fear of it happening. It happens all the time at work, I go red and get blotchy all over my neck and chest - it makes me feel s sad and frustrated.

Earlier this year I got up the courage to talk to my GP about it. He didn't really understand and kept saaying 'oh so you get panic attacks' but sometimes it happens when i don't even think i am feeling uncomfortable like around friends and family. The GP gave me beta blockers which helped a little bit but I was taking them several times a day everyday, andt hat's not how i want to live myh life.

I try controlling my breaths, distractions all that sort of stuff - sometimes it helps, sometimes not. I think maybe I should just ask for the beta blockers again but I'm hoping there's a better way where I don't have to be taking pills throughout the day. Anything to stop it though!

Sorry for the long message!
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 03:46 PM
SAS Member

Hi everyone,
I've had to deal with this problem since I was 14-15yrs while in secondary school and still now at 27. It's always on my mind in every situation and is a large part of my social anxiety. I think if I was told that from tomorrow on I would never blush again I would be the happiest man alive. I can't imagine what it must feel like to interact at ease with people and with self assurance.
It's good to have a forum to visit while deal with it. We are not alone.
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM
SAS Member

I used to have a huge blushing problem. Whenever I was with a girl who I found attractive, I would turn several shades of purple. I could actually feel the heat pushing its way out of me. And I would stay like that for a long time.

It's not so bad anymore since I got used to a wider variety of situations and my conversational skill level increased.
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Stuck in a lift

Exposure to those situations can help if it goes well.

... True love waits in haunted attics ... true love lives on lollipops and crisps ...
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Ryn
SAS Member

I went out for a work lunch the other day. Inevitably I went bright red (i think it get's even worse when I'm eating a big meal too). Someone at the lunch told me I looked like I'd just done a 10K run, I just had to laugh it off what else can you do? People don't understand that it just make you feel even worse when they mention it. I'm trying not to let it bother me anymore but that's easier said than done. I worry it makes other people feel uncomfortable when they see me like that and they just won't want to be around me.
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I have this. But i dont really like to label it though :/ Its gotten better, but hasn't gone away. The fear is still there. It sucks.. *sigh*

The day is going to happen whether you decide to get up or not.
post #31 of 77 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 AM
SAS Member

Angry

re

This is the main cause of my anxiety and depression.

BLUSHING rules my life.
post #32 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM
SAS Member

Happy new year everybody! Really encouraging to see that other people suffer with this, but have made improvements of their own it seems like!
Question: Does anybody have any experience with doing CBT and/or EMDR for treatment of the blushing?
I saw that some people had mentioned breathing and taking beta blockers to inhibit the fight or flight reaction which are both good suggestions for countering the symptoms. Any suggestions on treating the underlying issues? Anybody here actually overcome this?
Thanks!
post #33 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM
SAS Member

Everybody should check this out-->
It's an interesting short film about a girl who blushes chronically. Its good I think because it calls to the attention of the viewer how irrational the blushing mindset really is. She's a healthy looking attractive woman who on the outside should only exude confidence. Instead she is so focused on the blushing that she forgets all else. I'd love to hear what other people's takes are on this!
post #34 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:50 PM
SAS Member

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum because I have erythrophobia. In fact, I've had it for so many years that I sometimes forget I even have it.

But right now it's become an issue for me again.

I'm a medical student - it's crazy, I feel so disappointed that I have this problem. Today, I'm checking someone's blood pressure in front of the doctor - I'm bright red, my heart is pounding. I can't even hear the pulse through my stethoscope, all I can hear is my own heart beat. It was awful.

I've now got this horrible irrational fear I'm going to end up with Rosacea. On the one hand, I should go and see my GP but I feel I can't. I suppose I feel a bit helpless at the moment. And a bit lonely - I've never told anyone about this before, even my parents.

Any suggestions?
post #35 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM
SAS Member

solution?

I just want it to go away!
post #36 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 PM
SAS Member

I have this all the time, i could just think about blushing and then start blushing. i hate ittt
!
post #37 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
SAS Member

I just spontaneously began blushing at high anxiety situations last year. Now it happens all the time. ****ing ridiculous.
post #38 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 AM
SAS Member

Hi,

I get this too but have managed to take the edge off of it by taking better care of myself.

I recently had some tests done by a nutritionist and it turns out that my cortisol levels are very low but normal in the morning.

I have been going to sleep at 9.30pm every night and sleeping in as much as possible at weekends and eating better and taking lots of B vitamins, vit D and antioxidants (I have IBS also).

So just wondering if anyone thinks that their excessive blushing might be linked to something that is physiologically not right with them or if anyone else has low cortisol levels in combination with excessive blushing?

Rouge
post #39 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 AM
SAS Member

Hey Ryn,

The person whom mentioned your face probably wouldn't have mentioned it if they thought it was a symptom of social unease, alot of people get red in the face when they eat a meal anyway.

Only a sadist or someone extremely stupid with the empathy of a brick would mention somebody's blush, as everybody knows mentioning it increases the blush and makes you feel silly. The rare occasions when someone is rude enough to mention it, I turn it back on to them and show them up for being rude. They never mention it again
post #40 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 AM
SAS Member

Same here, I just posted in other bit of forum about ETS surgery to cut nerve that caused blushing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page