Erythrophobia? Fear of blushing - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Erythrophobia? Fear of blushing

Basicually its a fear of blushing and going red (especially infront of other people) Its a secondary disorder that comes off from social and anxiety, and when you have it it can also turn in to SA. I have this disorder, and was just wondering if anyone else did?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM
SAS Member

You too? I had this first, and it developed into SA. Participating in group discussions where everyone is sitting in a circle probably triggers it more than anything, and then interviews. When a blush comes, and it comes quickly and intensely, it is as if I am completely arrested, body and mind. I'm unemployed mostly because of this. How severe is it for you?
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 AM
SAS Member

I hate blushing too. I always worry that people are going to think I'm embarrassed easily. I didn't realize that it was a real disorder though; I thought everyone hated blushing and the discomfort that comes with it.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My blushing is quite bad, and i didnt know it was an actuall disorder until yesterday, but im glad i finally know that its not just me, and im not actually crazy.
I blush freguently, when im with a load of people, or if someone comes up to me and starts talking, or an intiview, or if i know that i have to go and talk to people, or be around them, i start to panic about going red in front of all those people, which then makes me panic, and then i go red because im panicking, and then i panic about me being red, and so on...
Its like cycle that never ends. And now its turned into this phobia.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 PM
avast ye landlubbers

I apparently have erhtyrophobiaphobia. Now I'm worried I'll go out tonight and be so worried about blushing I'll turn a bright red.. damn it..
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:12 PM
SAS Member

All these "disorder" labels are driving me crazy and making me sound crazy.

Blushing is a serious issue. Someone says something, anything, and *blush*. Doesn't have to be verbal dialogue. Sometimes walking down the street *blush*. An unsuspecting touch *blush*. It doesn't matter what it's about or what it's related too and I don't know why it occurs. It's an awful feeling. People make inferences from the blush that are as likely to be correct as incorrect. It is not controllable.

Emotions aren't easy for me to identify. Fear may or may not be something I experience in relation to blushing. Avoidance, on the other hand, is guaranteed. But the avoidance isn't related singularly to the occurrence of a blush, it is related to the plethora of things that may and do occur.

Is there a fear of irrational and uncontrollable smiling?

We do not change as we grow older; we just become more clearly ourselves.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 PM
SAS Member

Maybe a 'light at the end of the tunnel' for you....
I blushed even if someone looked at me from about aged 10 (or as far back as I can remember) until about 30yrs old.
It was so bad that kids at school would tease me and some people called me "Rosie".
It just stopped happening so frequently just out of the blue. I still have episodes now but it may only happen 10% of the time.
I tried everything to 'cover it' foundation (which is pretty good actually) and beta blockers. It was horrible when it happened, so I know how you feel.
I remember looking in the mirror sometimes when it happened, and I wasnt as flushed as I thought I was, it just 'feels that way'.
I think most people just 'grow out of it' eventually. Well, I think thats what happened to me.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:49 PM
SAS Member

Hello there! I'm the same exact way and I didn't develop this until I was about 20! It is so embarrassing! and it doesn't make sense because I used to be outgoing and played sports in high school. Then my junior year of college it just happened more and more frequently. What makes me blush more is I think people might think I like them or that I have a crush on them or something. And just like you everything triggers it!
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 PM
SAS Member

i have this too its a horrible feeling its like i can feel my face getting red and more red it feels like my face is on fire and then i get real hot and start sweating and if they mention it, its even worse, its uncontrollable i have had this as long as i can remember.
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemisshy View Post
I remember looking in the mirror sometimes when it happened, and I wasnt as flushed as I thought I was, it just 'feels that way'.
Something to think about after a blush. Sometimes the blush is worsened with the knowledge that it has occurred. I always forget that other people can't know what's going on inside another persons head.

We do not change as we grow older; we just become more clearly ourselves.
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 08:55 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleewyck View Post
Something to think about after a blush. Sometimes the blush is worsened with the knowledge that it has occurred. I always forget that other people can't know what's going on inside another persons head.
Very true!
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Hopelessly Nerdy

I had no idea that this was a real disease! Yes, I too have erythrophobia and I hate it so much :/

~PaFfanatic

Time is what you make of it so take a chance,
Life is full of music so you oughta dance,
The world's a stage and it is time for your debut!
- Phineas & Ferb

Smile every minute of the day. You never know who is falling in love with it

post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 04:10 PM
On me "toes"

I have this. It seems to come and go. Lately it's reared its' ugly head.

"When you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"-- Lee Ann Womack

I am not my past. I am not my anxiety, nor depression. I am not my gender, or color, or social status, or occupation title, or any other label. I am not my story.
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 04:41 PM

The more you don't want to blush, the more intense your blushes will be. So that shows us that there's no way of out-thinking ourselves so that we don't blush anymore.

The secret is to accept your blushes, and don't resist them. Let them happen. Naturally, you care what other people think of you (everyone does, it's a survival mechanism) but despite caring what people think, you can still learn to accept blushes.

I do this by reasoning with myself that if I avoid situations that make me blush, then I'll be seriously restricting what I'm ever going to get out of life. When we restrict ourselves socially to avoid symptoms of SA, we get lonely, depressed...you know the story. So I made the decision that although I don't like blushing in front of people, I'm willing to let it happen just because the alternative is to avoid socializing, which means getting lonely and depressed.

So I decided that blushing in front of people was a better option than avoidance that leads to depression. I also reasoned with myself that msot people are way too wrapped up in their own little world to even notice my blushes, and the people who do notice are far too focused on their own lives to take notice for any longer than 2 seconds or so.

Once you accept blushing, realize that it won't kill you, and realize that whatever other people say about your blushes won't kill you either, you'll find that blushing stops - simply because you're not worried about it happening anymore.

I was supposed to save this for my upcoming website about overcoming SA, but ah well.
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 05:40 PM
On me "toes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Beat Social Anxiety View Post
The more you don't want to blush, the more intense your blushes will be. So that shows us that there's no way of out-thinking ourselves so that we don't blush anymore.

The secret is to accept your blushes, and don't resist them. Let them happen. Naturally, you care what other people think of you (everyone does, it's a survival mechanism) but despite caring what people think, you can still learn to accept blushes.

I do this by reasoning with myself that if I avoid situations that make me blush, then I'll be seriously restricting what I'm ever going to get out of life. When we restrict ourselves socially to avoid symptoms of SA, we get lonely, depressed...you know the story. So I made the decision that although I don't like blushing in front of people, I'm willing to let it happen just because the alternative is to avoid socializing, which means getting lonely and depressed.

So I decided that blushing in front of people was a better option than avoidance that leads to depression. I also reasoned with myself that msot people are way too wrapped up in their own little world to even notice my blushes, and the people who do notice are far too focused on their own lives to take notice for any longer than 2 seconds or so.

Once you accept blushing, realize that it won't kill you, and realize that whatever other people say about your blushes won't kill you either, you'll find that blushing stops - simply because you're not worried about it happening anymore.

I was supposed to save this for my upcoming website about overcoming SA, but ah well.

I've tried making it not into a big deal, which so far has not worked, but it doesn't mean it will. It's true that most people don't notice it, in general. It's a lot more uncomfortable and painful for you than it is some one else because accompanied with it are other feelings, it seems, doesn't it?
I have been blushing in front of a particular person, however, and I think he has definitely noticed it, because when I blush, he walks by me and makes a point of saying 'hello' to me, I think knowing that I'm uncomfortable. Now I'm concerned that he may think I find him attractive, which is not the case. It has to do with the fact that he is an authority figure, which is intimidating for me. I've tended to blush around people in power, authority figures.
It's very, very true that it won't kill you! It seems that we do have a primitive programming that when there is a threat we think we are going to die, isn't there. Which isn't true, it's a lie.
Despite blushing, I am going to push right through it, try to go out there and blush anyway, because it is more isolating and painful to hide. Also, it makes some thing like blushing worse and worse.
Good luck with your SA site. Hope you keep us informed.

"When you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"-- Lee Ann Womack

I am not my past. I am not my anxiety, nor depression. I am not my gender, or color, or social status, or occupation title, or any other label. I am not my story.
post #16 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
SAS Member

im in high school and this has been controlling my life through all 4 years of it. every single day. im miserable but i feel so good having read through these posts, now i know im not even close to being alone. maybe we can all get through this together, with each other. theres finally hope after all this time.
post #17 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 02:37 PM
SAS Member

Hi,

I DEFINITELY have this. I'm a massive blusher and really do fear it to the point it makes me not want to do things.

I didn't think people noticed until I was 16, when my teacher wrote in my leaving book 'I will always remember the way you go red with embarrassment,' - THANKS SIR! From then on I became acutely aware of it, although I could feel the physical sensations back in middle school, when teachers picked on me in class.

It takes alot to embarass me properly, but because I blush so much, it makes me look as if I'm embarrassed..which really annoys me! I feel hot, and start to sweat. It's horrid. People ALWAYS point it out too.

I have started avoiding situations where I think I am likely to blush, especially at work! Which is obviously bad, as I can't control everything at work and I need to do the actual work. I always blush around the more senior figures and I hate talking on the phone in front of others and so on..

Hopefully CBT will help.
post #18 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Occasional Video Blogger

I found out about Erythrophobia about 2 years ago through another SA Youtuber. My SA was made worse by this. I wasn't even aware that my face would turn red until my freshman year in high school. By that time I had already suffered from anxiety for a couple of years but that really kicked it into high gear. It's so bad that I don't like getting into conversations with people because I can feel it happening when I talk to people and I know they can see it. When I feel it happening I just want to get out of the conversation (or whatever the situation is) as quickly as possible. It's the main reason my life has come to almost a complete halt.
post #19 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:42 PM
SAS Member

idiopathic cranio facial erythema

Hi everyone,
I've had this condition for about 20 which is the same as erythrophobia. It's severe blotching of the skin, particularly beginning on the neck, chest, and moves up towards the face.

In my earlier days, I had it severely. But now it's more situational, especially if I have a meeting around a table. I haven't eatin with coworkers in 18 years because of it. It's not just a reddening face, but an severe blotchiness.

Somethings that have helped me is medication, particularly atenolol (beta-blocker) and ativan as needed. It's made my life much more manageable. Also, some of it I have outgrown, but those triggers are still out there. I'm looking for information on clonidine coupled with beta blockers. Anyone know about this? Thanks.
post #20 of 77 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Permanently Banned

I blush easily but it does not bother me at all, beacouse woman like it when they make you blush.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page