Does anyone here suffer (or has suffered) from agoraphobia? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Dreamer~

Does anyone here suffer (or has suffered) from agoraphobia?

I have been agoraphobic for 4 months now, and it has really been interfering in my life. I can barely go to the corner! (It's about 15 feet from my house) I believe my low self esteem has to do with this. I also suffer from Hypothyroidism, which makes me gain weight. It makes me feel even worse that because of my agoraphobia, I can't visit my doctor therefore I cannot receive the appropriate dosage of medicine I need to control it. I am currently seeking therapy.

What is your story with agoraphobia? What have you been doing to help? If you beat it, how did you do it? Any advice/stories are welcome!

Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair. ♥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:33 PM
LEFT SAS

That's terrible. I can't imagine being in such a predicament. You definitely need to get out of the house and see a therapist and a doctor. Is there someone that can take you?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Dreamer~

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlyimproving View Post
That's terrible. I can't imagine being in such a predicament. You definitely need to get out of the house and see a therapist and a doctor. Is there someone that can take you?
The therapist has agreed to come and give me the sessions at my house, and no, unfortunately I haven't found someone to take me to the doctor's office (I have to travel to another city). I just hope that my therapist can help me soon, so I can visit my doctor! Also Christmas is coming up, and I don't know how I'm going to make it all the way to my family's house. I'm very optimistic though, so I think that will help a lot!

Someone told me there's a girl out there, with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair. ♥

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 PM
LEFT SAS

Stay optimistic. Remember, you weren't always like this and you don't have to be either. It will be tough but with hard work, I'm sure you'll make it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Dreamer~

Thank you very much! I know I can do it!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:01 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

My Mood: Sad
Yeah, I know how debilitating agoraphobia is. I've had it for years...it started to rear it's ugly head when I was in high school. I see a psychiatrist and a therapist. Both have offices in a really busy hospital in the Texas Medical Center, so it's a challenge for me to get there...tbh, I miss a lot of appointments.

Wide open spaces and crowds are really terrifying to me. Meds help me quite a bit, more so than therapy I think. I thought I was making progress with the meds I'm on (Gabapentin, Seroquil and Zoloft) but just this afternoon I had a panic attack at the grocery store. I was able to find a restroom and talk myself down, but it was really scary. I don't leave my apartment unless I absolutely have to.

It's really awesome that your therapist is willing to come to your home. I would hang on to them. Good therapists are sooo hard to find. I've seriously lost count of how many I've had over the years lol. I know for me it's so easy to get into the mindset of "well this is how I am, I just have to live with it". I'm constantly trying to remind myself that no, I don't just have to live with it, it may be the most difficult thing I've ever done, but I can change. You can too. Don't give up!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Dreamer~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenYears View Post
Yeah, I know how debilitating agoraphobia is. I've had it for years...it started to rear it's ugly head when I was in high school. I see a psychiatrist and a therapist. Both have offices in a really busy hospital in the Texas Medical Center, so it's a challenge for me to get there...tbh, I miss a lot of appointments.

Wide open spaces and crowds are really terrifying to me. Meds help me quite a bit, more so than therapy I think. I thought I was making progress with the meds I'm on (Gabapentin, Seroquil and Zoloft) but just this afternoon I had a panic attack at the grocery store. I was able to find a restroom and talk myself down, but it was really scary. I don't leave my apartment unless I absolutely have to.

It's really awesome that your therapist is willing to come to your home. I would hang on to them. Good therapists are sooo hard to find. I've seriously lost count of how many I've had over the years lol. I know for me it's so easy to get into the mindset of "well this is how I am, I just have to live with it". I'm constantly trying to remind myself that no, I don't just have to live with it, it may be the most difficult thing I've ever done, but I can change. You can too. Don't give up!
Wow! I was actually considering going with a psychiatrist at first, but I want to see if a therapist can help me. I wouldn't like to become dependent on the medication. I actually tried going to the therapist's office, but I only made it 2 blocks from my house. Which is actually okay though, I had not been that far in months! Any improvement is improvement! I'm terribly afraid of crowded places too, and also of any place in which I might feel trapped. I also have a fear of vomiting in public, which makes this all worse because my digestive problems are caused by side effects of pill I am currently taking. Even imagining being in a grocery store makes my heart beat faster! My therapist has given me sessions at my house before, when I had Emetophobia (2 years ago). He's a very good therapist, and I trust him. You are absolutely correct! We don't have to live with it! Thank you very much for sharing, I most certainly won't give up! Good luck!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
overcame it by having a dog and being forced to take him for walks because he was gaining weight
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:07 AM
The Governor

I can relate to what your going through.Back in the day when my sa was really bad I didn't leave my house very often because when I did and a car passed by me or someone was walking past me it would make me feel like they were staring at me.Which was like mental torture for me.I could leave if it was dark but never during the day.It probably wasn't as bad as what your going through,I just wanted to say that I get it.

My advice is to schedule a time of day to go out side.At that time you'll walk to the corner of your street and each day go a little further.This will help you develop a habit of leaving your house and also make you more comfortable with it.I'm not a therapist,obviously,but that kind of thing seems to work for me.

"Success has been and continues to be defined as getting up one more time then you've been knocked down"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page