Does anyone feel like this after drinking... - Page 4 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #61 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 12:06 PM
SAS Member

I'm relaxed when I'm drinking but the next day I'll have a terrible hangover and later on I'll have terrible anxiety. It feels like I'm about to have a panic attack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I thought this was just me and that I was weird! I have no idea why but if I have been drinking a lot I get extreme anxiety and heart palpitations the next day. I still enjoy drinking but it gives me another reason to not get too drunk,the feeling is awful!
post #63 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Nightspirt

I prefer other(legal) drugs to alcohol, I don't not drink but I don't prefer it. **** hangovers

"Pure. ****ing. Armageddon!"
last fm

post #64 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 10:29 PM
SAS Member

I get this all the time. It's such an odd feeling. Kind of like a cold/hotness inside of my whole body. I start worrying and my anxiety gets to it's complete peak. That's why I don't like drinking. It's so fun and a good release while I do it, but the next day it's not worth it at all.
post #65 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 AM
SAS Member

It's nice to be able to relate to people on this. I've always been somewhat shy, but I was always pretty outgoing in high school, drinking on most weekend since my junior year. I remember going to tons of parties and having a great time, no bouts of anxiety.

Then college rolled around, I joined a fraternity and started drinking HEAVILY. Probably averaged going out 4-5 times a week and getting extremely drunk most of those nights. Some weeks I even went out every night. I also started smoking pot my sophomore year, as well as experimenting with many other drugs throughout my days in college. This kind of started a vicious cycle; my grades suffered, I was no longer healthy and active like I had been, and I just wasn't as happy anymore. Then I noticed the awkward encounters started to creep in when I was out at the bars or at parties. I started to dread being out, because it killed my confidence and fed my anxiety. I've quit smoking pot and I don't drink nearly as frequently or as heavily as I used to, but when I do, the anxiety for a couple days following is almost unbearable. I still force myself to go out and be social as often as I can, but it's often a struggle and I can tell people don't feel super comfortable having a conversation with me. I used to do pretty well in the female department, but now I get nervous around girls and lack the confidence to get anywhere. I just don't know what to say.

Bottom line is, I blame my drinking and drug use for a lot of my anxiety problems today. It's extremely frustrating because I want to be the confident, extroverted, social person I used to be, but I just can't seem to find it. I've considered trying out an SSRI, but I'm a little apprehensive because I don't know what the long-term effects will be. I don't want to make things worse than they are.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this, it feels good to get it off my chest. Best of luck to anyone who's struggling, I hope things get better for you.
post #66 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 AM
SAS Member

My anxiety is escalated greatly day after drinking, probably because I also skip my meds (2 mg of Klonopin) so as not to completely ruin my liver. Despite the ill effects, I continue on with the same cycle over and over again. I must not be very bright.
post #67 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, C, C#, BASIC
Yeah not many people know this, but the main reason you get a hangover from alcohol is because your body metabolizes it into formaldehyde (embalming fluid). It is usually not because of dehydration. So basically when you drink alcohol, you are drinking embalming fluid. I would just stick to the benzos. But if you're curious, there is a safer form of alcohol that does not have toxic metabolites and doesn't give you a hangover. The effects are said to be like a mixture between alcohol and benzos. It is very rare, but it used to be used in medicine in the 50s and 60s I think. It is called tert-Amyl alcohol (or 2M2B).
post #68 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billius View Post
I prefer other(legal) drugs to alcohol, I don't not drink but I don't prefer it. **** hangovers
I'm starting to feel the same way. I used to drink often but I don't really like it anymore. I prefer other lesser known substances in order to relax.
post #69 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, C, C#, BASIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneQuietGuy View Post
I'm starting to feel the same way. I used to drink often but I don't really like it anymore. I prefer other lesser known substances in order to relax.
Like what?
post #70 of 82 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaps3 View Post
Like what?
GABA enhancers and nootropics.
post #71 of 82 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 AM
SAS Member

I found the cure to this. Ive been suffering from really bad anxiety and panic attacks the following day after a night on the ale. What I find to really help is to get out of the house and go for a long walk say 30 minutes, I usually take a banner and bottle of water with me to keep my energy up and re-hydrate myself. If you like you could also take a couple of paracetamols before hand and rennie tablets or gaviscon if you suffer from acid reflux. Also make sure that you don't sleep in too late, it is important for you to have breakfast ideally porridge.

So:
1. get up early and have breakfast (healthy food)
2. go for a long walk (30 mins at least) and take some fruit (non acidic fruit) and water
3. if you have an upset stomach or headache get some paracetomols down you
4. gaviscon to help if you have acid reflux

It is really important to replenish your body's electrolytes so the faster you do this the quicker you will feel better.
post #72 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 PM
SAS Member

Wow, great thread! Glad it lives on after so long and that I was able to find it.

I too have many of the same symptoms described previously. I've drank heavily 6-7 nights a week for a 2-3 years now. I recently turned 26 and being young, I kinda thought this much drinking is normal and that my body will be able to handle it... nope.

Several weeks ago I had my first attack. It became very difficult to breathe, my arms went numb, then my face and at it's worse point, I couldn't force my mouth to form words. I thought I was having a frekin' stroke! Since then I have done a lot of research and managed to get my anxiety to a manageable level, but still have been unable to be rid of it completely. Here's a few things I've learned (most throught personal experience):

-Attacks/anxiety can be brought on by pain (i.e. a sprained foot that you continue to walk on)
-Eating healthy helps anxiety. I stopped drinking soda and eating out. My diet mainly consists tuna, salmon, chicken, lots of veggies, fruit, potato bread, corn tortillas, etc. Mostly just eat foods that are as natural and untouched my man as possible. I prepare every meal at home. Remember that the worse meal you can possibly think up to make at home is 10x better for you than the "healthy" menu at your local restaurant. Grab some subway if you have to eat out.
-Quit smoking. I use to constantly worry about my breathing and for good reason. Not until after my first attack was I motivated enough to quit. Just a few days after quitting I felt like my health was much improved, whether it was true or just in my head, it doesn't really matter.
-Quit drinking, obviously. If that was an option, none of us would be reading this thread. In my case, it'd probably completely cure my anxiety if I just drank significantly less... Unfortunately, I have not been able to wean myself off the booze yet. My anxiety is really bad when trying to go to sleep completely sober.

Best possible causes of anxiety that I've found (besides the booze)

B12 deficiency

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/gu...ymptoms-causes

Low Blood Sugar
http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/hypogly...topic-overview

Serotonin Deficiency
http://www.serotune.com/blogs/articl...nin-deficiency

Allergies
http://blog.nutri.com/2012/03/are-al...nd-depression/

Candida Overgrowth
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8376/...-about-it.html

Hopefully some of you find my personal experiences helpful... Does anyone know of an over-the-counter medication that helps anxiety? Preferably one that works quickly.
post #73 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 03:30 PM
SAS Member

Sometimes i have prolonged hangover after a night of heavy drinking.Really nasty for my anxiety.
post #74 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM
SAS Member

Here ya go!

1. Mood
Alcohol can affect our mood because it can affect the level of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a feel good brain chemical that when in short supply can cause feelings of anxiety and depression.

2. Drop in blood sugar

A drop in blood sugar can cause dizziness, confusion, weakness, nervousness, shaking and numbness. These symptoms can most certainly trigger a bout of anxiety.

3. Dehydration

This has been known to cause nausea, dizziness, fatigue, light-headedness and muscle weakness. These symptoms wouldn’t cause anxiety per say but they add to a sense of illness which fosters anxiety.

4. Nervous System

The nervous system is affected because in order for the body to fight off the sedative effects of alcohol it puts the body into a state of hyperactivity in order to counteract this effect. This hyperactivity can lead to shaking, light/sound sensitivity and sleep deprivation.

5. Heart Rate

Your heart rate can become elevated as a result of consuming alcohol which can cause a palpitation false alarm and put you into a state of anxious anticipation. Is it a heart attack or isn’t it you might ask. This “what if” questioning can increase your general state of anxiety.

6. Concentration

A hard night of drinking can also make you hazy, bring on headaches and create a sense of disorientation.

So if you’re going to have a glass of wine with dinner I don’t think you should be concerned. On the other hand, if you’re a heavy drinker, or binge drinker, then this might cause a real problem for you.
post #75 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Permanently Banned

Drinking doesn't really help me relax, maybe I become more inclined to talk to people but that's all. I act too serious and I'm on edge still and anxious of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE around me.
And yeah I feel the same the next day OP and super crappy on top of all of it.
post #76 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM
SAS Member

I definitely get much more anxious when I am hungover and in general I don't like to see anyone when hungover.

However, it is not nearly so bad as the OP is describing, and I really enjoy drinking once a week so I see no reason to stop.

The only thing I do is make sure that I have nothing important to do the next day and no one other than close family members that I need to see, and the day after that I will be back to normal.

I cannot do anything remotely important when hungover, but that's a problem a lot of people who don't have anxiety have, I just think I get more anxious than them when hungover, but it's not a huge problem for me.
post #77 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:38 PM
SAS Member

A night of drinking doesnt necessarily give me anxiety. But I feel extremely guilty and filthy after a night of drinking, I feel like there's poison inside of me. I've also never had a hangover. I just dont get them for some reason.
post #78 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichouse View Post
What everyone has described on this old thread, sounds like alcohol withdrawal. Here's the science behind it:

"Alcohol, shown in black, also binds to the GABA receptors, and increases the quieting effect that GABA has on neurons. Researchers are not sure exactly how it does so, but one theory holds that it causes the ion channels to stay open longer, thus increasing the ion flow. The result is a much greater quieting effect on the brain.

Because there are GABA receptors in many parts of the brain, many different parts are affected. This accounts for alcohol's sedating effect on many functions controlled by the brain--judgment, movement, and even breathing.

Unfortunately, prolonged alcohol use may cause the brain to adapt, so it comes to depend on the presence of alcohol to function normally. Then, if the person stops drinking, he or she experiences anxiety, jitteriness, emotional discomfort, insomnia, possibly tremors, and, in severe alcoholism, sometimes convulsions and/or death."

Source: http://www.neurogenesis.com/Neurosci...addictions.php

GABA is the body's natural control mechanism for managing stress and nervous tension. That's why when you pop a benzo you feel great. It does something similar to alcohol. Problem is, when you take it away, your going to feel like **** and experience ANXIETY OUT THE ***

Good information...BUT...I have a VERY hard time believing that ANY hangover after one single night of drinking which might make one more anxious that day is actual "alcohol withdrawal".

Maybe in the most MINOR sense possible, if, in fact, a hangover itself does meet the definition of alcohol withdrawal, but I don't think that it does.

If you drink once a month, and then you get a hangover and you get more anxious because of it, is that REALLY the same as the alcohol withdrawal a severe alcoholic who drinks every night will experience??

I don't think it is at all, and so I don't think these mental effects from a hangover can be considered "alcohol withdrawal".
post #79 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 AM
SAS Member

I don't drink that often and I try to drink a lot of water before I go to bed buy my anxiety goes through the roof the day after drinking. Lately I've noticed it's lasting longer, I end up with a kind of emotional hangover for a couple of days.

I don't really feel drunk anymore either, I can't get that feel good feeling, the buzz I used to get from alcohol. I just start feeling sick after only a couple of drinks so I stop and drink water and sleep but I still feel like crap emotionally/mentally and highly anxious for days after.

I think it may be time for me to give up drinking.
post #80 of 82 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 05:00 AM
SAS Member

Unhappy

Yes i feel so anxious. Im a little drunk right now. Now i know why my therapist refrained me from drinking alcohol and coffee and cigarette. How do i get out of this feeling? I feel like im gonna die tomorrow. I hate it. I dont want to call my therapist deym its xmas i mean who the *** calls their therapist at xmas?? Pls help me. I want to get over this feeling my head hurts like hell and i am ovet the top anxious. I hate it pls help.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page