Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Secondary Disorders (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f33/)
-   -   Does anyone feel like this after drinking... (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f33/does-anyone-feel-like-this-after-drinking-36726/)

Propaganda 01-17-2012 10:11 PM

The closest I've ever came to having a panic attack was during a severe hangover. In fact, when I am super hungover and there is a high level of general stress I have bad anxiety.

brittneyann 01-18-2012 02:07 AM

After a night of drinking sometimes the next day I feel very incredibly ill. It usually takes until the evening to start, but it really scares me. I have the most intense fatigue and I feel like I can't breathe. I also feel very, very out of it and have lots of aches and pains. The first time it happened I didn't know why and it scared the living crap out of me. I eventually put two and two together and realized it only happens when I drink the previous night. Its definitely not your typical hang over. I've looked up online about it and couldn't really find anything.
I don't really like drinking anyways... but it'd be nice to not be scared to when I'm in the mood to.

my name is 01-18-2012 02:08 AM

not always but once in a while i will wake up the day after drinking with the shakes being all jittery basically its anxiety at its worst in those situations for me ..also like someone else said sometimes i drink beer and i get a migraine headaches4 hrs later a hangover before i even get home..must be a connection

sherbert 01-18-2012 10:35 AM

hmmm this seems to be really common

I get very depressed after a night of heavy drinking too. The unfortunate thing, it's a highly social activity, which many other people find enjoyable. That's the biggest pull for me. I can definitely live with aches and pains, but I don't want to deal with wanting to die... One would think that as many times as I have gone through that pattern, I would not get that wasted, but peer pressure is strong force. Maybe next time I have to come up w/ examples as to 'how bad' it gets. Such as: I want to find tall places to jump off of or run my car into a wall at high-speeds. Mind you, I am not suicidal under normal circumstances.

I'm just fine after a night of smoking though! :roll

Sensitive Guy 01-18-2012 10:35 AM

In laymanís language, anxiety after drinking is a sign of alcohol withdraw symptoms.If a person say,drinks heavily every night the central nervous system gets suppressed by the alcohol so consequently,it as to fight back in order to get the right equilibrium. When the alcohol is stopped you then get the rebound effect as the nervous system is still in overdrive mode, over compensating as it were. Mild alcohol withdrawal symptoms start around 5 or 10 hours after the last drink. Most people sleep for 8 hoursÖ

Donít drink heavy or frequent as it makes anxiety a lot worse over time.

01983rob 01-19-2012 09:40 AM

drinking and going out

i feel always feel really hot the next day to i used to love going raving pubs out ect but now i feel really just like staying in and when i see happy people having a good time i feel like i shouldnt be there i hate the way my life has changed i really dont know what to do with my life i wish i could meet some one who could give me some confidence because at the minute im as low as i could be

Jarka 01-19-2012 01:06 PM

Kind of.. If I drink a lot then the next day I feel somehow guilty, paranoid and embarrassed, usually I spend the day in bed sleeping it off..

NatureFellow 01-19-2012 06:14 PM

I don't drink alcohol at all, because it just strengthens any mood that I am in.
Mostly it will make me grumpy and sleepy, like an old man ready for bed hohohohoohh
Sticking to the Pepsi Max etc.

Over and out.

sparky10 01-19-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jm5150 (Post 1059585808)
I hope people still use this site. I suffer from anxiety after drinking.
This happened to me 8 years ago..I was always in a weird depressed altered reality state. I never linked it to alcohol but it DID go away,after a year of utter hell I was just left with general anxiety. This anxiety (which i never had before my original episode) stayed with me for years.. oddly If i fely anxious I would drink.,.. drinking made it go away, every time..
I dont drink alot. Id go out on weekends and have maybe 3 or 4.. sometimes more, sometimes less. But drinking HELPED. (this maybe be why i never linked alcohol to this this first time). Anyway. recently it CAME BACK. i noticed if i drink any amount of "beer" i have flare ups the next day of the following:
Anxiety
Depression
Intense fear
Lack of focus
Lack of concentration
difficulty breathing
odd internal sensations that set off more anxiety
lightheadedness
depersonalization (feels like im watching my life through a camera lense)
extreme fatigue
Low body temperature, constantlt cold
flu like symptoms
stiff neck/odd neck sensation;cant really explain. my neck just feels tight and "wrong" (happens the night of drinking, may signal a flare is coming)

It use to last 3-4 days. Id hide myself from the world and just hope i dont die.. I FEEL like im going to die but I never do.

after 3-4 days I bounce back and feel great. I honestly forget everything bad I felt and feel invincible again. thus I drink again with friends. which leads to this again and again.

Things Ive noticed:
It seems to happen mainly when I go out and drink beer. If i stay home and have 1 or 2 glasses of wine I feel great the next day.; so is it "beer" or anxiety from going out in public? no clue
My urine will smell horrible at the end of these symptoms. Once this happens I tend to feel like a million bucks again.
Ive also noticed that its dwindling again.. it used to last 3-4 days.. I recently had 2 beers with dinner out with friends and I only felt terrible for about 28 hours after I woke up the next day. Is this indicative that Im healing or just not as bad since I only had 2 beers?.. no clue

Ive been to doctors and they simply dismiss me saying "quit drinking". this isnt acceptable. It went away once so whatever it is, isnt some sort of resistence.. its either from anxiety itself or an underlying condition. my doctor just doesnt care since its not constant, its only after I drink.

Things Ive looked into that may be part of the issue:
Anxiety (plain and simple.. anxiety makes more anxiety. subconcious is linking the anxiety to going out drinking so does this on autopilot- Both times this started I had a panic attack first. Panic attack cause this or did this cause the panic attack? no clue)
Lyme disease(look up video blogs on youtube and youll find people explaining mental/anxiety issues from Lyme and it sounds "exactly" like what I have..why it happens only when I drink beer? no clue
Candida overgrowth (yeast overgrowth in the gut.. google symptoms and it sounds close.. beer may have something to do with flare ups since it contains yeast and sugar..look into your diet and possible antibiotic use recently. it may have caused candida overgrowth. no clue)
Celiacs disease (similar to Candida but has to do with a wheat/gluten intolerance in your intestines)
Lupus (again symptoms sort of resemble this but Lupus sounds more severe and constant, no clue)

I hope people will post any similarities so we can figure this out since Doctors dont seem to care. quiting isnt an acceptable answer for me. I love beer, Id love to have a beer at the game without feeling like im dying for 2 days following. It HAS gone away once before so suggests it is cureable/treatable. I just did it by accident, or turned it back on by accident.

I can associate with a lot of the symptoms you listed above along with neck thing. I tried everything but the hangovers were not the same as what you average joe experiences.
I was diagnosed with GAD and drinking made it better but the next day was awful and just not worth it. If you have GAD then your symptoms will be intensified with a hangover. This sounds to me what you are experiencing from my own experience of it.

MissLaceyLou 01-26-2012 03:18 PM

So helpful!!!

Wow you guys! This is an awesome topic! I am so happy to know that I'm not the only person who deals with this. I don't feel alone anymore! I have irrational fears for about a week after I've binged. Like afraid to eat or drink anything. And I lay in bed and just panic until I fall asleep. I've even been hospitalized for it before. I also isolate myself from my friends which makes them angry but they dont understand because none of them suffer from anxiety. Not worth it anymore. I'm tired. So I'm becoming closer to God and giving up on drinking for good. The anxiety I experience afterwards is not even worth having a glass of wine anymore! Thank you guys for creating such a great forum and putting me at ease knowing I'm not weird!

AnxiousNancy 02-13-2012 11:05 AM

Me too!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteLilly (Post 485134)
I'm on day 3 now after a night of drinking (Friday night). I remember everything about the night except I have some images in my mind and I'm not sure if they are real or if it was in my dream. I have extreme anxiety because I feel like I did something wrong that night (Like kiss another man or something) and I'm married. I love my husband and I know I didn't do anything like that but I have these images in my mind that I did. My friend says I was with her the whole night and everyone else at the party hasn't said anything.

I'm wondering why my mind is playing tricks on me and causing me to have such bad anxiety over this. I have made up my mind and I'm not drinking anymore. This type of thing has happened before with my husband and I at the bar together. I had a dream the next day that I had gotten raped in the women's bathroom. I don't know why alcohol is doing this to me. Can anyone help?

I have horrible horrible anxiety when I go out without my husband. I am always afraid that I've flirted with someone (all of my friends say I'm being ridiculous and that they've never ever seen me do this) or acted in a way that my husband would be embarrassed or ashamed. It is not based in fact at all, just something that I make up in my head. It is awful and i think it mostly has to do with self worth somehow. When I am feeling worthless I feel like I don't deserve my awesome husband. If I go out to make myself feel better and have a great time (he's out of town a lot) I feel bad because I know if he was there I wouldn't have 1. gone out without him 2. drank so much 3. whatever else I start to feel bad about.

Just recently I've started to get hot flashes. Feels like a horrible blush and it is almost painful and comes in flashes all day.

calmdown 02-14-2012 03:49 AM

i suffer anxiety/panic attacks and being hungover brings them on. think its because im in such a fragile state and because i know i wont be able to deal with anxiety/panic that well in this state, it makes it come on easier.

i once basically collapsed when i panic attack started, my chest/arms and face started tingling, i just kind of fell to the floor, my chest and arms completely stiffened and cramped up, i was telling my friends to call an ambulance as i had no idea what was happening to me.

anything that extreme wouldn't normally though as i had been working out loads that week, had drunk a ridiculous amount and had been sick before going to sleep so my body was basically massively dehydrated and had incredably low blood sugar no nutrients etc.

But i think that event definately intensified the connection between being hungover and anxiety/panic.

calmdown 02-14-2012 03:51 AM

^^^^^^

cont. i now dont drink, or have a 4/5 beer (bottles) limit

Zen Pen 06-09-2012 07:27 PM

Histamines?

Yep, I am basically offline the next day whenever I drink. I think there are several things that happen (to me anyway).

I used to drink straight whiskey. This gave me the worst hangover. The least bad hangover is when I drink vodka and soda with a twist of lemon. I put this down to the extra fluid I am taking in. Drinking an electrolyte drink the next day also helps me a lot.

Alcohol has a lot of histamines which increase inflammation in the body. This may cause some of the aches and pains.

If you're socially anxious and have spent some time being extroverted under the influence of a drug (alcohol) this may also have a psychological effect, so you feel the anxiety the next day that you should have felt the night before, being in the social situation. I have nothing to support that though, other than the recollection of my more extroverted escapades causing me the most pain the next day.

Zen Pen 06-09-2012 07:37 PM

...> Actually here is an article about how histamines may increase anxiety.

http://blog.nutri.com/2012/03/are-al...nd-depression/

Zen Pen 06-11-2012 07:15 PM

More on histamines:

* They can cause anxiety
* They're released when you're dehydrated
* Vitamin C and calcium help break down histamines. Alcohol is not friends with vitamin C.
* If you have an allergy to alcohol you're going to have a lot of histamines in your system during and after drinking. While you're drinking the alcohol will reduce anxiety but after it wears off you may still have a high level of histamines without the alcohol to reduce the anxiety

I also get a red face when I drink. This is a histamine reaction. I'd be curious how many people who visit this forum also get a red face when they drink.

worriedinsurrey 08-13-2012 11:43 AM

does anyone get slightly swollen feet after a night of drinking????Of course i am extremly worried something is wrong with me

SADdam 08-14-2012 04:14 AM

After a night of getting drunk, I also get really hung over. The next day I feel a sense of disappointment in myself that I just made a fool out myself when I was drunk the night before (even though I didn't do anything embarrassing). Because I remember myself being more talkative and out of who I normally am, it makes me very uneasy. Even though the more talkative and outgoing person I am when I drink is what I want to accomplish. It may just be disappointment in the fact that I don't act like that when I am not drunk but usually the day after I am very disappointed in myself for how I acted when I was under the influence.

ourwater 08-14-2012 06:26 AM

12 Attachment(s)
It sounds like the early stages of Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome. The Propranolol that I take is prescribed as a secondary use for alcohol withdraw.

KelseyM 09-16-2012 11:33 AM

I realize this is from 4 years ago but this explains my experiences after a day of drinking to a t. I wake up fine and then I get this nagging anxious feeling in my chest/stomach sometimes my nerves are so bad I get sick.. All I can think is that after I had anxiety once after drinking my body/mind think I should have it every time I drink.. I take a lorazepam first think in the morning to calm my nerves and it helps me relax a little! I really am not a big drinker and drink maybe once a month or every 2 months. And the anxiety is why.. But occasionally I go somewhere and end up having a few drinks.. And the next morning I'm on my death bed..