Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Secondary Disorders (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f33/)
-   -   Does anyone feel like this after drinking... (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f33/does-anyone-feel-like-this-after-drinking-36726/)

livingnsilence 02-06-2008 02:57 PM

Re: Does anyone feel like this after drinking...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteLilly
I'm on day 3 now after a night of drinking (Friday night). I remember everything about the night except I have some images in my mind and I'm not sure if they are real or if it was in my dream. I have extreme anxiety because I feel like I did something wrong that night (Like kiss another man or something) and I'm married. I love my husband and I know I didn't do anything like that but I have these images in my mind that I did. My friend says I was with her the whole night and everyone else at the party hasn't said anything.

I'm wondering why my mind is playing tricks on me and causing me to have such bad anxiety over this. I have made up my mind and I'm not drinking anymore. This type of thing has happened before with my husband and I at the bar together. I had a dream the next day that I had gotten raped in the women's bathroom. I don't know why alcohol is doing this to me. Can anyone help?

This has happened to me before too. The dreams felt so real too and my dreams are normally obviously dreams but not these but peoples stories say that it can't be true. I'm pretty sure they were dreams though based on what I've been told and that the people in my dreams wouldn't have done what they did but since it seemed so real part of me wants to believe my dreams causing me a lot of worry. I too would like to know what causes this.

Must be the Ganja 12-07-2009 09:24 AM

Depends on what I drink. If I just drink lager or beer I just have a normal hangover. Headache and an iffy stomach is pretty much cured by paracetamol and a fried breakfast. But when I drink spirits like vodka or whiskey, my hangover is like an ecstasy comedown lasting for like 2 days, with the headache and iffy stomach to boot. When I get in this state, I normally stay in bed until the early evening. I can never remember anything and I'm always paranoid that I had made a total fool of myself in the bar/nightclub/at the party.

It's for this reason I don't drink very much.

Zombie Sheep 12-11-2009 08:52 PM

Wow I guess it's not just me then. Yeah, I'm hungover now and if I had to go into town I'd probably be hyperventilating, or freak out, even with the meds I'm on (which usually stop all that). I have to plan my drinking so I'm not doing anything the next day, when I'm hungover I can basically walk about 100 yards to the corner shop and that's it.

I have a ridiculous tolerance to alchohol, I can quite happily put away as many as 14 cans of 9% lager in one day depending on when I start, that's as many as 56 units in a day, which is like 4 bottles of wine or something (my brother said). When my doctor asks I always lie.

Also alchohol makes me oversleep *badly* so I can't drink before a working day. I need a job 'cos I know that'll cut down my drinking.

inward 12-14-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Social_butterfly00 (Post 484859)
Yes, I totally get this! And I never ever used to get it before. I mean, I'm 18 and my hangovers are so unbearable now I can't even drink. I feel like crap for three days following a night of drinking (NONE of my friends are like this).

My anxiety is extremely bad the next day. It used to be really bad back in the day but now it's a bit better. I used to stay in my room the entire day of my hangover. I usually felt like crap, could feel every cell in my body, had unbelievable aches and pains and could not sit still. I could barely speak to people and wouldn't make any sense. I would stay in my room all day despite being dehydrated, hungry, needing to use the washroom, needing to shower etc. I would just lock my door and endure the horrible pain. If friends called me I wouldn't answer because I felt like a sketch bag.

And I refuse(d) to see people when I'm hungover. I used to go into work hungover feeling like crap, ready to have an anxiety attack. It was just unbearable. I felt like I wasn't even in reality. Very bizarre. To the OP, I don't know did you used to do drugs? I started doing drugs heavily back in the day and eventually my come downs would lead to huge anxiety where I couldn't speak, I would try to speak and nothing would come out or make sense (this was probably a side effect of all the drugs rather than it necessarily being anxiety).. but then I often wonder if that was actually the case, because I know lots of people who do drugs who never experienced come downs like I did, and it only happened near the end of my drug use.

I wouldn't be able to look people in the eyes and wouldn't be able to be near people, period. I stayed in my room enduring the come downs... worst thing ever.

You're absolutely right, for me example, I am certain that this anxiety problem came from drug abuse, specially mdma can blame for that. It was after the comedown i felt so unreal, my perception were really weird, and life seemed to be like a dream or smt. And then i realized after i drink, i get this anxiety. However it has gone really better. I was working out as well training in the gym. Sport increases your serotin and works for your brain recover. But the main thing is, which i'm really interested, that will it ever go away totally. I mean if i have a really hard party. that next day i will just feel the normal hangover ( which could be hard) but still without the anxiety and the ****. for me instance even now its not that bad after drinking, that i would consider it leaving, coz i really like clubbing and having partys .

JimmyDeansRetartedCousin 12-17-2009 11:30 AM

Hey OP,

I think you might be suffering from delerium tremens, wiki and exercise friends are you. Alcohol enemy be. Something something Darkside.

Peace

jim_morrison 12-17-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyDeansRetartedCousin (Post 1175260)
Hey OP,

I think you might be suffering from delerium tremens, wiki and exercise friends are you. Alcohol enemy be. Something something Darkside.

Peace

I doubt it's the DTs, He said he usually only drinks once a week.

Keith 12-17-2009 06:25 PM

I get depressed the next day after i drink so i quit reluctantly.

rustyshackleford 12-18-2009 06:34 PM

Just want to point out that alcohol can mess with your meds. I was told not to drink on both of the meds I've tried. I asked why and was told that it will stop the drug from working properly for the next little while. Also I think that some can make the hangover worse.

Arctor 12-19-2009 07:52 AM

I feel the exact opposite, for whatever reason. When I wake up after a night out i usually feel calm and accepting of myself, and then as the day goes by I gradually return to my "normal" self, meaning that the background level of anxiety returns. Perhaps simply the alcohol wearing off? It's nice not to suffer any adverse effects(other than those of a pretty mild hangover), but the knowledge that the state is merely temporary(or the hope that it isn't, followed by the dissapointment when it is yet again proven that it is)can be quite depressing.

stars 12-19-2009 01:58 PM

Whenever i drink a lot i wake up the next day with extreme anxiety and heart palpitations.

WesW 12-20-2009 11:25 AM

Drinking usually makes everything better. After awile I start to think about SA and I get sad then angry. Next I usually make my self feel stupid because I cant talk the way I want too.

jma 11-05-2010 02:28 AM

I know what you're talking about, as of right now I am having this problem. Im 24 now and I have always drank beer, after the birth of my son a year ago it seems like my anxiety has sky rocketed, Ive had anxiety and problems like that since i was 18(panic attacks all that jazz) but it never was a problem after drinking, now I can come home from drinking, pass out, wake up a few hours later and wont be able to go back to sleep the rest of the night and the whole night Im VERY jittery no matter what i do i toss and turn trying to sleep and cant, its horrible, I tell myself every time that I am done drinking, but then I do it again and im pissed off lol
As of right now, this is happening to me.. I cant sleep and all jittery I feel like my chest is just like shaking..i HATE this feeling, but I have come to find out that If I drink vitamin water( a few of them like 2-3) that I feel 10x better, but not just any of them, has to be the pale pink one, called focus, weird i know, but it helps me a lot.

sparky10 11-06-2010 06:41 AM

yeah back in the day i could drink loads on a night out and feel
hungover the next day but it was not thet bad.
these days i really try not to get steamin as the next day my anxiety
is just too bad and the paranoia can kick in sometimes. the higher anxiety can last for days and its just not worth it.
Im resigned to having a few beers maximum when i do drink now, how times change!!!

Takerofsouls 11-06-2010 10:29 AM

Im literally always drinking vitamin water, i buy them in bulk. And ive only gotten a hangover twice in my life, never when i was drinking water while i was drinking it really works.

nicky noodle 01-03-2012 02:58 AM

Anxiety after drinking

i have just come across this thread and i have just started getting the same problem. I do drink a fair bit but in the last couple of weeks i have had a panic attack , loads of anxiety and ache all over for the next couple of days or more. I am 33 and have partied hard but am really considering knocking it all on the head if this continues - why does this happen ?

InOHIO 01-03-2012 08:16 AM

I have a problem while I am drinking, so I really never do, and if I do, it's just a drink or two, although sometimes that has even messed with me. It makes me freak out and feel like I don't have control. I always get really nauseas as well. It sucks, because I would love to be able to get drunk every once in awhile, might take the edge off, but I can't, so oh well, maybe one day.

YUMYUMYUMYUMYUM 01-03-2012 10:45 AM

I used to get massively anxious the day overindulgences of alcohol; since ive been taking SSRIs however, my hangover have begun to involve much less anxiety
Alcohol comedowns are definitely experienced differently by sufferers of anxiety

http://www.anxietyguru.net/why-alcohol-causes-anxiety/

Thestruggle1 01-03-2012 08:04 PM

I have some anxiety if i drink alittle bit but if i drink alot i get social. Its weed i have issues with.... That stuff makes me have panic attacks like crazy:afr

Jm5150 01-17-2012 11:49 AM

We need an answer

I hope people still use this site. I suffer from anxiety after drinking.
This happened to me 8 years ago..I was always in a weird depressed altered reality state. I never linked it to alcohol but it DID go away,after a year of utter hell I was just left with general anxiety. This anxiety (which i never had before my original episode) stayed with me for years.. oddly If i fely anxious I would drink.,.. drinking made it go away, every time..
I dont drink alot. Id go out on weekends and have maybe 3 or 4.. sometimes more, sometimes less. But drinking HELPED. (this maybe be why i never linked alcohol to this this first time). Anyway. recently it CAME BACK. i noticed if i drink any amount of "beer" i have flare ups the next day of the following:
Anxiety
Depression
Intense fear
Lack of focus
Lack of concentration
difficulty breathing
odd internal sensations that set off more anxiety
lightheadedness
depersonalization (feels like im watching my life through a camera lense)
extreme fatigue
Low body temperature, constantlt cold
flu like symptoms
stiff neck/odd neck sensation;cant really explain. my neck just feels tight and "wrong" (happens the night of drinking, may signal a flare is coming)

It use to last 3-4 days. Id hide myself from the world and just hope i dont die.. I FEEL like im going to die but I never do.

after 3-4 days I bounce back and feel great. I honestly forget everything bad I felt and feel invincible again. thus I drink again with friends. which leads to this again and again.

Things Ive noticed:
It seems to happen mainly when I go out and drink beer. If i stay home and have 1 or 2 glasses of wine I feel great the next day.; so is it "beer" or anxiety from going out in public? no clue
My urine will smell horrible at the end of these symptoms. Once this happens I tend to feel like a million bucks again.
Ive also noticed that its dwindling again.. it used to last 3-4 days.. I recently had 2 beers with dinner out with friends and I only felt terrible for about 28 hours after I woke up the next day. Is this indicative that Im healing or just not as bad since I only had 2 beers?.. no clue

Ive been to doctors and they simply dismiss me saying "quit drinking". this isnt acceptable. It went away once so whatever it is, isnt some sort of resistence.. its either from anxiety itself or an underlying condition. my doctor just doesnt care since its not constant, its only after I drink.

Things Ive looked into that may be part of the issue:
Anxiety (plain and simple.. anxiety makes more anxiety. subconcious is linking the anxiety to going out drinking so does this on autopilot- Both times this started I had a panic attack first. Panic attack cause this or did this cause the panic attack? no clue)
Lyme disease(look up video blogs on youtube and youll find people explaining mental/anxiety issues from Lyme and it sounds "exactly" like what I have..why it happens only when I drink beer? no clue
Candida overgrowth (yeast overgrowth in the gut.. google symptoms and it sounds close.. beer may have something to do with flare ups since it contains yeast and sugar..look into your diet and possible antibiotic use recently. it may have caused candida overgrowth. no clue)
Celiacs disease (similar to Candida but has to do with a wheat/gluten intolerance in your intestines)
Lupus (again symptoms sort of resemble this but Lupus sounds more severe and constant, no clue)

I hope people will post any similarities so we can figure this out since Doctors dont seem to care. quiting isnt an acceptable answer for me. I love beer, Id love to have a beer at the game without feeling like im dying for 2 days following. It HAS gone away once before so suggests it is cureable/treatable. I just did it by accident, or turned it back on by accident.

Manitoba13 01-17-2012 08:58 PM

I always seem to have a bad feeling lingering over me after drinking :( Kind of like I did something wrong or said something embarrassing. And although this is usually not the case, I can't seem to shake it. I try to tell myself that everyone else I was with was drinking as well and thus probably not paying much attention, but that doesn't seem to help much.