Does anyone else stay home all day? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Does anyone else stay home all day?

I read a thread that asked what people do for a living. I felt like a loser saying that I get government support. Does anyone else have agoraphobia or something like it? I really don't leave my house much. Can stay inside for weeks at a time. Ahh. I hope I'm not the only one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:47 PM
ISFJ

Language: English
My Mood: Fine
I work during the week, but when I'm not at work... I'm at home, including the weekends. Today is a PJ day!

When i've got a week off I might go out to rent a movie, or hang out in the back yard for a bit. Else I'm inside in my room.

“You Learn More From Failure Than From Success. Don’t Let It Stop You. Failure Builds Character.” – Unknown
post #3 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:49 PM
SAS Member

There's no college so yeah, I pretty much stay home the whole time.

"I am looking for a true human being" - Diogenes of Sinope

"It was love that brought them back to life: the heart of one held inexhaustible sources of life for the heart of the other." - Dostoevsky

post #4 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thank you so much for replying. I really wish I didn't stay home as much. I used to have friends. I'm so happy someone sort of understands what I am going through.
post #5 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Daydreaming

I'm home all the time and have SSDI. I usually only go out for appointments like to the dentist, and counseling. If I go anywhere else it's usually only once or twice a year.
I saw that thread and thought about replying but then I felt weird, so I didn't.
post #6 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:01 PM
ISFJ

Language: English
My Mood: Fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioGirl View Post
Thank you so much for replying. I really wish I didn't stay home as much. I used to have friends. I'm so happy someone sort of understands what I am going through.

You could always just go out for short little walks to get away from the house for a bit. I completely understand what you're going through though. I can leave the house more often now, and do some things on my own but I used to be terrified to go outside.

I used to have friend, even be popular... Now, I just have myself. Funny how life works...

Take care bud, you're definitely not alone in this!

“You Learn More From Failure Than From Success. Don’t Let It Stop You. Failure Builds Character.” – Unknown
post #7 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
I read a thread that asked what people do for a living. I felt like a loser saying that I get government support. Does anyone else have agoraphobia or something like it? I really don't leave my house much. Can stay inside for weeks at a time. Ahh. I hope I'm not the only one.
I'm exactly the same way. I have a real hard time leaving the house and venturing out to outings or to even hold a job (which I don't have).

I've been in therapy for 2 years straight and on meds. I'm getting better slowly but I still get very agoraphobic when the place I DO venture off to are new or outside my safety zone.
post #8 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM
SAS Member

I leave quite a bit but I could easily stay home for a few days straight, doing the same thing everyday, reading a few books, etc. I seem to find a lot more to do in my own home than most people.
post #9 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 02:49 PM
wooden hippie nice

I understand. The only time I really leave my house is to go to lectures (can't even manage that all of the time, however) now that I'm at university. Other than that, I pretty much stay inside the house 24/7. I'm currently on a four month summer break from university, and the only times I've gone anywhere have really only been in order to go to the supermarket or when I've absolutely had to go somewhere, certainly nothing voluntarily out of my comfort zone.

Oddly, in my early teenage years I would always try to get out as much as I could - I'd go around on buses, walk around in the evenings... all by myself (and, albeit, usually only once it was dark), but getting out nonetheless. Then, as I got older I would quite easily spend months indoors, or only venture out with my mum once a week for the food shopping. I wasn't happy about it, but I had just somehow lost that drive to force myself to go anywhere.

A big issue for me is that I have skin problems, and that really doesn't help with my agoraphobia. I think a lot of the time I would go outside just for the sake of it, but often I just don't feel up to being seen by anyone because of my appearance, so it's easier for me to just stay inside and avoid the world. I might attempt to 'get ready' by putting some makeup on in some feeble attempt to improve my appearance, but one look in the mirror and my mind will become set against any previous plans. I'll also often go to bed with the idea in mind of going out in the morning, but come the next day that just goes out the window as I just feel too anxious, and staying in doing nothing yet again becomes by far the more attractive option. However, this past week I've really become set on trying to push myself to at least leave the house 3 times a week, even if it's just walking to the high street and back. I just feel so depressed being cooped up all the time, yet it's so hard to actually change the routine.
post #10 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix87 View Post
You could always just go out for short little walks to get away from the house for a bit. I completely understand what you're going through though. I can leave the house more often now, and do some things on my own but I used to be terrified to go outside.

I used to have friend, even be popular... Now, I just have myself. Funny how life works...

Take care bud, you're definitely not alone in this!
<3
post #11 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelynn View Post
I'm home all the time and have SSDI. I usually only go out for appointments like to the dentist, and counseling. If I go anywhere else it's usually only once or twice a year.
I saw that thread and thought about replying but then I felt weird, so I didn't.

This might be a little personal...but how much do you get for SSDI? I only get $1170 and that isn't really enough to get a regular size apartment.
post #12 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
I'm home most of the time but I'm not diagnosed with agoraphobia, I think it's more a case of avoidance for me. I do go out when I need to run errands for my mom or need something from the corner store but I'm not working or in school. Sometimes I go for walks when I've been in a for a while if I really feel restless, it can be nice, especially at night when it's quiet out
post #13 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Pleased to meet me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix87 View Post
I work during the week, but when I'm not at work... I'm at home, including the weekends. Today is a PJ day!

When i've got a week off I might go out to rent a movie, or hang out in the back yard for a bit. Else I'm inside in my room.
same
post #14 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Permanently Banned

i stay at home all day, i forgot what my town looks like
post #15 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM
ThirdEyeGrind

I stay home usually all day. Only going outside to smoke. I only go out if I really have to. Once in a blue moon an old friend will call and I'll go hang out with him and then not hear from him for like 4 months.
post #16 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Permanently Banned

I don't literally stay home for weeks at a time, though going to Aldi so I have some food or picking up a prescription at Walmart as "a big day out" isn't much of an improvement over literally going nowhere.

When asked "so, what did you do today" few would be impressed with an answer like I did some grocery shopping (assuming they caught me on one of my days that included such a "big" outing).
post #17 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 AM
Daydreaming

Quote:
This might be a little personal...but how much do you get for SSDI? I only get $1170 and that isn't really enough to get a regular size apartment.
It's okay, I get $726.
Sometimes I wonder how I'd ever live alone if I wanted to, there would be no way I could afford it! An apartment here would be around $600-900 a month. That doesn't leave room for other bills even at the lowest price!
post #18 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 AM
SAS Member

I don't even remember the last time I've been out of my house. I think last week i drove around in my car for about half an hour. No college means total isolation for me.

And if I could get the government support i totally would get it. Nothing to be ashamed off. Mental illness is disabling just like any other illness.
post #19 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:07 AM
SAS Member

It's nothing to be ashamed of, it's what it's there for. I too am the same way. It's not that I even get anxious to go out I just have no desire whatsoever. I last went out in June I think. You're not by yourself so don't feel you're the only one.
post #20 of 547 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 AM
SAS Member

yeah I stay at home when I feel depressed/sad..
It's not that I don't like people or being outside or the weather.. i guess it's a habit of mine. feeling like depression is something visible to others when i go out in public, so to make a good impression, I tend to just isolate myself. Don't worry. I mean, people are fools to make fun of you for being on welfare. Just enjoy what you have.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page