do you think ADD or learning problems could be associated with SA? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

do you think ADD or learning problems could be associated with SA?

When I was taking Adderall in college it seemed to help me socially as well, for awhile...but then after a year or two it actually seemed to make my anxiety worse sometimes. I have never been able to really figure out why I have social anxiety but I have had some struggles in school, although when I was younger I was actually tested as a "gifted" student to determine whether I should be in some advanced classes (this was because of my strengths in a couple of areas only). This really confused me growing up how I could be so "smart" in some subjects and so "dumb" in others. I remember the look of horror on the lady's face who gave out the test when reviewing my finals scores LOL. I have to laugh or I will cry....anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone here has a similar experience or take on the matter, I know it doesn't matter necessarily how I got this but it would be good to know what to treat first- ADD, anxiety, or depression so I can get a treatment plan going for myself.Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 PM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
I've only started taking ADD meds recently, so I just have to wait and see if that affects my social anxiety at all.

Besides the fact that I have both, I'm not really sure if there is a link between learning disabilities and SA.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 08:55 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by messyjess View Post
When I was taking Adderall in college it seemed to help me socially as well, for awhile...but then after a year or two it actually seemed to make my anxiety worse sometimes. I have never been able to really figure out why I have social anxiety but I have had some struggles in school, although when I was younger I was actually tested as a "gifted" student to determine whether I should be in some advanced classes (this was because of my strengths in a couple of areas only). This really confused me growing up how I could be so "smart" in some subjects and so "dumb" in others. I remember the look of horror on the lady's face who gave out the test when reviewing my finals scores LOL. I have to laugh or I will cry....anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone here has a similar experience or take on the matter, I know it doesn't matter necessarily how I got this but it would be good to know what to treat first- ADD, anxiety, or depression so I can get a treatment plan going for myself.Thanks in advance.
Yeah I've gone through all of that. My ADD made me different from other students which is a good way to develop anxiety. Teachers and students would praise how smart I was one moment and how stupid I was the next.
I'm curious how you would treat ADD? Some kind of concentration exercises? There's a bunch of therapies for depression and for anxiety. Like CBT and such. To me it seems like they are all so closely linked that you really have to work on them all at the same time. Or at least the anxiety and depression. I guess I wish I had a better answer for you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page