daydreaming too much - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
xi
SAS Member

daydreaming too much

This is so weird but I can't help it. I always imagine myself to be another person. The person I created in my mind is so perfect in every aspect. (good looks, highly intelligent, have good life) And I always imagine every details in her daily life. Don't mistake that she's a person I love but instead that's the person I want to become and I pretend to be her in my mind. I feel so troubled cuz I think of her life during my lessons, my study time, my sleep and every moments.

I've created her since I was young but my imagination goes crazy in recently years and that wastes a lot of time and affects my study. I always think of my own imaginary world.

I dare not tell anyone about this except in here. I'm afraid that other people think I've mental disease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-26-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
xi
SAS Member

Re: daydreaming too much

Besides daydreaming, sometimes I forget what I am and my mind go blank. I even forget I'm a human.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Neue Nihilist

I daydream. I have very involved and vivid daydreams, which I often act out when no one is around.

I create fantasy worlds in my head all the time. I just get bored with my life, and have too much excess energy. I've done it since I was a tiny little kid, and never quite grew out of it.

Open up, it's the FBI Police! I'm Special Agent Detective Sargent Doctor Trenchcoat, and this is my partner The Right Honorable Professor Judge Captain Snake!

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 12:31 PM
insert witty comment here

re: daydreaming too much

I used to daydream a lot. It was a way of getting away from reality.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
xi
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetography
I actually have a whole family built in my head.
Yes, an entire family: 1 perfect version of me, 1 perfect wife, 3 perfect kids, 1 dog.

Honestly, I've never told anyone this (not even on here).

Sometimes I worry that by having this perfect family so vividly pictured that down the line when my real family begins to form (if I'm lucky enough to get that far) I'll have unrealistic expectations.

This is really strange for me to write about.
I feel better knowing that someone else day-dreams these things though.
I feel better also. I didn't know
other people have the same problem as well.

I've no friend to talk with. I go to lectures alone and study alone in front of my computer. Maybe I've no one to think of, so my mind has so many space to create another person.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
xi
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolay
I daydream. I have very involved and vivid daydreams, which I often act out when no one is around.

I create fantasy worlds in my head all the time. I just get bored with my life, and have too much excess energy. I've done it since I was a tiny little kid, and never quite grew out of it.
Yes, I always act out too. My mother saw me acting out my f**king daydream once, and I told her I was doing excercise. How embarassing!
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 04:01 AM
insert witty comment here

Xi,

what really helped me was therapy. Excessive daydreaming is not a mental disease, it is what your mind does to protect itself (from reality and/or unconscious memories). I guess you are in the States and I gather from other postings on this board that people can get free counselling at University in the States. Do try that.

Lisa
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:

That's me exactly. I'm so worried that one day someone will hear me and ask who I was talking to. That will be a very awkward moment...
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 01:37 PM
SAS Member

I daydream alot each day and like you xi i dream about myself but as another person. A more sociable, confident attractive person. I been doing this for ages and it kind of gives me a buzz or hightens my mood.
I put myself in different situations and daydream of how i'd want to be e.g if i were to start a job i want or studying at university and that person is the more confident person i want to be.
I think it can protet us from reality and that could be a bad thing as we are not realising the reality of our situation.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Neue Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi
Quote:

Yes, I always act out too. My mother saw me acting out my f**king daydream once, and I told her I was doing excercise. How embarassing!
I accidentally broke a light fixture once while daydreaming

I told my grandmother I was exercising...

Open up, it's the FBI Police! I'm Special Agent Detective Sargent Doctor Trenchcoat, and this is my partner The Right Honorable Professor Judge Captain Snake!
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lonely

This is one of my biggest problems. I daydream mostly about being a success or doing something extraordinary or about becoming famous so that people actually care about me but I have to realize that outside of my immediate family, no one really does. That's supposed to be liberating but it's not to me.

Hyperbole is the best thing ever!!!
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 02:44 PM

n WOW!! I cant believe so many people do exactly the same thing i have been doing since I was 3!
I always used to think I was the only one, but now I can beg to differ!
But my question is if anyone knows what this disorder(it has to be one) is called and or any websites that talk about it cuz I would love to read more about it and how it can be stopped...

Please respond!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

yes, this sounds like me too.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:28 AM
SAS Member

sometimes I get carried away and start acting them out too x_x

I am going to completely work on making myself happy.

“Fear can make you do more wrong than hate or jealousy. If you're afraid you don’t commit yourself to life completely; fear makes you always, always hold something back.”
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 PM

I daydream a lot about my ideal version of myself and what I consider my alternate life.
When I get bored with that, I switch over to this other daydream that doesn't involve myself at all. It's like a TV dramedy in my head with a cast of characters with complete personalities and everything. Some "episodes" of this daydream borrow bits of scenes and characters from whatever book, tv show, or movie I'm into at the moment. I run out of creativity easily.

God I need a life.
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-11-2007, 05:15 PM

I daydream often too. Quite too often. I daydream when no one is around, and i dream about a better place. I hate where i live, i hate everythign about it, yet i see a better place (right over the bridge in the next state). Everytime i think about it it get that feeling you get in your heart when your in love. It brings me to the point where i cry sometmes. I know im odd. Wow i wouldent be able to even open my mouth in front of people about this.
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 12:19 AM
SAS Member

I daydream about my ideal self as well.

I'm currently in a Personality class for psychology, and according to one of the psychoanlaysts we're studying (Harry Stack Sullivan is his name), we have self-images ourselves that fall into three basic categories: The good-me, the bad-me, and the not-me. The good-me personficiation consists of those aspects about ourselves that we feel good about, that have been rewarded in the past. Like speaking up in class or making a new friend. Typically, these behaviors are associated with feelings of security or, put another way, feelings without anxiety. The bad-me reflects those parts of our experiences that we would rather not think about, that have not been rewarded. This would describe the times we've winced in shame and embarassment when thinking about regrettable things we've done. These, of course, are behaviors associated with anxiety. I won't get into the not-me because it's bascially the same as dissociation and repression, but the thought that interests me that we - our personality - is divided by one underlying factor: Anxiety.

We're all Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hydes.

I'm not who I have in memory
Nor who is in me now.
If I think, I self-dismember.
If I believe, there is no end.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-12-2007, 01:17 AM
SAS Member

Re: re: daydreaming too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptybottle
I daydream a lot about my ideal version of myself and what I consider my alternate life.
When I get bored with that, I switch over to this other daydream that doesn't involve myself at all. It's like a TV dramedy in my head with a cast of characters with complete personalities and everything. Some "episodes" of this daydream borrow bits of scenes and characters from whatever book, tv show, or movie I'm into at the moment. I run out of creativity easily.

God I need a life.
I swear if i could, i would kiss you, right here, right now. You just helped me save a bit of my sanity.

I do the exact same thing. I have this little world, with a plot and characters, its been like a continues drama played out in my head for quite awhile. Yes i also take ideas from tv's, movies ect....
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 01:22 PM

I have this exact problem, and find myself inside my head way too much as opposed to being true to who I really am. I found it ultimately affected me in a negative way making it more difficult to accept my true self from this made up version of me. I don't think frequent daydreaming is healthy, it interferes too much and makes one feel more disjointed with their real personalities and lives, not that some of us don't want an escape, but sometimes it stops us from making a 'real' difference, in reality...
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 01:58 PM

Aye and it has taken its toll.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page