Could I have aspergers or some form of autism? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Certified mistake

Could I have aspergers or some form of autism?

Ever since I was little, I didn't really click with people. I didn't click with family members, people at school, strangers, basically anyone. I was constantly pushed to have good grades, despite not understanding anything I was being taught. I couldn't do any kind of memorization or math, and the only reason I was passing was because I was reading books for extra credit. I never had any friends, but my family put more focus on the fact that I was "smart" so they didn't really care. When I got into older grades, it only got worse. I didn't know how to talk to people, or get them to like me. The only thing I've ever really liked is video games, and people never wanted to be around someone who only talks about video games. Truthfully, it was the only thing I knew how to talk about. I went to therapy, but they never tested me for anything and only diagnosed me with depression. (I don't have parents) but my remaining family refused to let me have medication. My grades just got worse and worse, and while everyone else around me was growing up and getting into sports and sex and everything else teenagers were into, I just didn't understand it. I've never felt sexual attraction towards another person.

People started beating me up at school, and the only thing I knew how to do was fight them back. I got in bad trouble for it and got sent to another school, where absolutely nothing improved. I was failing 3/5 of my classes, but my family thought it was just me being lazy because I was "smart"! The only reason I was passing my end of the year tests is because I was mainly guessing, and just barely scraping by. I tried sports, but my teammates just bullied me more. To this day, I don't understand people and I have a hard time feeling empathy for them. I'm not sure if I could have some form of autism, or if it's just me overreacting.

"It's hard, seeing the person you look up to fall right to your feet."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 10:04 PM
SAS Member

It sure sounds to me like you have asperger's. Everything you mentioned are characteristics of asperger's syndrome. AS is on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum. Temple Grandin has some excellent videos on youtube that explain asperger's and autism. Hope you find something that helps.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 03:45 AM
()

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1icepop View Post
It sure sounds to me like you have asperger's. Everything you mentioned are characteristics of asperger's syndrome. AS is on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum. Temple Grandin has some excellent videos on youtube that explain asperger's and autism. Hope you find something that helps.
I think it's worth pointing out that social anxiety and asperger's really can't be said to be on the same spectrum at all. Asperger's might cause or fortify social anxiety, but they're two completely different things.

http://socialanxietydisorder.about.c...y-Disorder.htm

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 11:36 PM
SAS Member

True, Social Anxiety and Autism are different, and most people don't have both, but it is not uncommon either. A few years ago I would have denied being autistic, because I didn't know what it was, and how broad the spectrum is. People on the spectrum range from geniuses to individuals that are non-verbal. Many brilliant people have minor Autism, and the social difficulties that come with it. Autism is defined as: a condition or disorder that begins in childhood and that causes problems in forming relationships and in communicating with other people. For me social anxiety explained a lot of my issues, but Asperger's explained even more. I finally understood why I had so much trouble making friends, and why I never know what to do or say in social situations. A lot of the resources available to help people with asperger's are applicable and helpful for anyone with social difficulties.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:32 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
If you talk like this, you may have autism.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 PM
SAS Member

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:22 PM
SAS Member

Speaking as someone who has Aspergers, there's a good chance that you could have Aspergers, or Non Verbal Learning Disorder. (NLD)

If you have any physical tics, like hand flapping or habitual pacing, I'd definitely say Aspergers. Especially if you also have intense interests, or obsessions, that you can't get out of your mind. If not, perhaps NLD, which has many of the same symptoms, but is generally more mild.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 01:23 AM
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enochian View Post
Speaking as someone who has Aspergers, there's a good chance that you could have Aspergers, or Non Verbal Learning Disorder. (NLD)

If you have any physical tics, like hand flapping or habitual pacing, I'd definitely say Aspergers. Especially if you also have intense interests, or obsessions, that you can't get out of your mind. If not, perhaps NLD, which has many of the same symptoms, but is generally more mild.
+1.

Obsessing over a part of something (even a minuscule part, which I'm extremely bad for!) is also a trait. Not being able to sustain eye contact without feeling awkward is also a trait as well as being uncomfortable with social situations. Don't get me started on the emotional side! For what it's worth, I was diagnosed in Grade 10. I'd rather not go into the events which lead up to the diagnosis, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Dragonic Archon

I'd say one of the largest things to look at, is if it you take things literally or not. People with Asperger's Syndrome often supposedly have problems with metaphorical or figurative speech.

Many things tend to overlap though as well lol or cause other problems. Like developing depression, agoraphobia, or social anxiety, which often go hand in hand from prior conditions. Then the other things like OCD, ADHD, PTSD, or other personality disorders like schizotypal, schizoid, etc.

Love or hate me as you will, but live now and in your final breath. In time we shall meet again.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Certified mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBwelder View Post
+1.

Obsessing over a part of something (even a minuscule part, which I'm extremely bad for!) is also a trait. Not being able to sustain eye contact without feeling awkward is also a trait as well as being uncomfortable with social situations. Don't get me started on the emotional side! For what it's worth, I was diagnosed in Grade 10. I'd rather not go into the events which lead up to the diagnosis, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
That sounds a lot like me. I find it really hard to not obsess over stuff, and i've never been able to have eye contact with anyone, even if we were really close.

"It's hard, seeing the person you look up to fall right to your feet."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:14 AM
SAS Member

but people with social anxiety cant sustain eye contact without feeling uncomfortable either. plus feeling uncomfortable wasn't what I thought was the cause of not maintaining eye contact in people with Asperger's. I was always under the assumption that people with aspergers did not recognize eye contact as a necessary communicative tool. I was under the impression that they did not understand it on an emotional level.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m96hhz5TNH1re54sso1_1280.jpg

The girl in my profile pic and tumblr pic is NOT me, she's from a music video. (a few have confused the lady as being me which is why I'm informing everyone in my signature)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 AM
Permanently Banned

Could be Asperger's; hard to say, really.

It's really difficult to pin down.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 12:26 AM
SAS Member

InTheWorldOfNiM

One thing does not mean that you do or do not have asperger's, everyone is different. Asperger's for the most part is poorly understood. I wrote and article to explain my experience with asperger's syndrome. I also wrote about what it's like to have social anxiety disorder. https://1icepop234.wordpress.com/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page