Constantly getting flashbacks of embarrassing moments - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 PM
SAS Member

Anyone develop a coping mechanism when these flashbacks happen? I get them A LOT and it puts my body in a cringe. I got into a habit of closing my eyes like i'm in pain and shaking my head a few times. I also say "blah" of under my breath. I've conditioned myself to think that the discomfort will not go away unless I do the said actions. (now i sound like rainman). I've been caught a few times doing it in front of people and they are starting wonder if I've lost it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 01:24 PM
SAS Member

Yeah, it's very annoying but I would think it must be pretty common to people suffering from anxiety. It's kind of weird that when these flashbacks come sometimes I get really embarrassed like I was experiencing the situation at that moment. On the other hand if I consciously try to think of them I don't necessarily get that feeling but I can analyze the situation rationally. When these flashback come I say stop in my head and try to think about something else. I've found it useful to sometimes think about all the past failures and forgive myself. This is best done in a calm environment when you are relaxed and in good mood. For a while it helps to take away the emotional pain associated with the flashbacks.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 AM
SAS Member

I remember embarrassing things that happened 10 years ago. Things that will never be brought up again. For instance, when I was 7 or 8 I wrote all over this soccer ball for my dad for Father's Day. The things I wrote were kind of embarrassing, like one thing I wrote was "spank dad". I also wrote "love dad" and "hug dad". Now, all kids say and do stuff that they don't understand so I shouldn't feel as embarrassed as I do. I just feel silly remembering something like that and still being embarrassed. Am I being dumb?

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:02 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsdatguy View Post
Anyone develop a coping mechanism when these flashbacks happen? I get them A LOT and it puts my body in a cringe. I got into a habit of closing my eyes like i'm in pain and shaking my head a few times. I also say "blah" of under my breath. I've conditioned myself to think that the discomfort will not go away unless I do the said actions. (now i sound like rainman). I've been caught a few times doing it in front of people and they are starting wonder if I've lost it.
The main thing to remember is that (1) it's over and (2) you don't want to do it again. Just remind yourself that it doesn't have to happen again and you don' thave to relive it.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 10:08 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Lamictal helps a lot. I can remember back to 3 years old and I flash constantly especially when I haven't gotten enough sleep. Everything I watch, everything I read... it all sets off memories constantly. I tried to respond with positive alternatives but I find it's actually better to not give the thoughts that time. I started pushing dreams out of my head as soon as I wake up so I don't remember the ones that make me feel bad. When my brain tries to think back at them I immediately send it on to something else like my routine of getting up or sometimes I can just blank it. I've started applying that same tactic to the flashes but it's a little harder since they are solidly in memory unlike dreams that do not go in to longterm memory if you don't think about them.

My greatest point is my persistence.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page