Casadastraphobia - fear of falling into the sky - Page 5 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #81 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:14 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I just saw the 1984 Iceman movie about a Neanderthal being thawed out from ice.
The end of the movie would probably put this fear to bed.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:04 AM
raising your spirits

My Mood: Brooding
I have this fear on occasion. It happens a lot in movie theaters, or other buildings with very high ceilings, but less often outside, unless I'm looking straight up at the sky, or up the side of a tall building. The feeling is essentially identical to the feeling I would get looking down from a tall building. My brain just treats the two distances the same way. When it happens when I'm in a theater, I hold onto the seat so that I don't fall up and break my neck on the ceiling.

In science, ideology tends to corrupt; absolute ideology [corrupts] absolutely" - Robert Nisbet
post #83 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 05:32 AM
SAS Member

I just wanted to post here after stumbling across this forum. I have had anxiety issues on and off over the years, but nothing of significance for almost 10 years.

I have casadastraphobia and have for as long as I can remember (4 years old is my earliest recollection). When I do look a many of the scenes mentioned by other posters, I lose all feeling in my legs from the knees down. This means that I can't feel the ground so I feel like I'm lifting off the ground (illogical, but hey, phobias are). I've always described it as a fear of plummeting upwards, or a fear of infinite depth.

Phobias aren't always a fear sensation, it can also be an "irrational aversion", and that's what I experience. The idea that it's some form of balance problem or vertigo makes sense. It generally only happens when my head is tipped quite far back. Then with each second and I get more and more convinced that I'm going to "plummet up" and eventually I'm compelled to stop looking. Once I straighten up I feel a little fuzzy for a few minutes, but then I'm fine. No fear or anxiety, just an intense and irrational unpleasant sensation. It got bad when my anxiety was at it's worst, but these days I find it amusing and I experiment with the sensation to work out what can set it off.

I guess I just wanted to share that to be reassuring. Chances are casadastraphobia is a balance issue that exists on it's own, but when we have anxiety problems at the same time it gets exacerbated. If you find a way to manage or treat your other anxiety issues, this physiological issue can just be an odd quirk that you forget you even have. That's my experience and I wish you all as much fortune, i.e. successful anxiety treatment/management and quirks that amuse oneself instead of stressing oneself!

post #84 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:09 PM
SAS Member

I literally had to take a break driving today. It just doesn’t make sense to me how an invisible force holds me down when the earth is spinning at such a high rate of speed. I have always had a fear of heights and now I’m 47 and this new phobia just started to where I think I will just come off the ground and get slung into the sky or space, and I know it’s irrational and sounds very stupid. My wife thinks I’m losing it.
post #85 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
I had an odd episode once when I smoked a blunt with a couple of guys I knew. I don't know if it was just really strong or if maybe one of them put something in it but I was feeling OK for a while and then I started feeling really strange. It came on me really fast and the best way to describe what I felt was like my consciousness was dissolving into the air around me. Not really the same as a fear of falling into the sky but it was terrifying. Never felt anything like it before or since.

/WYSD
post #86 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Spectacular Member

I have this fear if I am lying on the ground looking up at the sky or looking through a panoramic roof in a car up at the sky. I have a fear of heights as well and I guess my brain thinks I am going to fall. Only seems to be an issue if I cant see the ground in the same field of view.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page