Casadastraphobia - fear of falling into the sky - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 05:40 PM
SAS Member

casadastraphobia

Man, it feels good not to be alone. I developed this phobia in my mid twenties. I had my first panic attack in my late teen and then other phobias showed up one by one including the one above. Cloudy skies are friendlier to me. Bright blue sunny skies hit me bad unless my mind is occupied with some other matters. I always try hard to get my mind on something else when walking down the street and always close to a covered space. Beaches are terrifying as well as large open spaces such as parks, deserts, beaches, etc. I am able to lay down in the sun only near a large tree or close to a covered place. I wish I could lay on my back and stare at the stars withoiut fears. This phobia has gotten worse with the years. Glad to hear I ma not alone. French born guy in US here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

yes, it's really comforting not to be alone with this, I'm sorry you're all going through this, I had it very bad yesterday, in summer it's always worse especially when I'm in town where I have to traverse large open places, what I noticed recently is that I'm having problems now waiting for traffic lights to go green, I don't know if you guys know what I mean, I hate wating on crossroads
post #43 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 01:36 PM
SAS Member

when i'm up high and i look up i feel like i'm going to fall into the sky.

student poon fresh out of the underage oven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruch247 View Post
Hey atheists, its me a christian.

post #44 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Permanently Banned

Omg, I had no idea there was a name for this! I actually don't think I have this, since it's not something I ever think about, except, that when I fly kites I get this weird panic while looking up and watching it go that i might fall upwards. Like I genuinely felt in that moment that I could fall off the earth, and I had to sit down and calm myself.
post #45 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 01:53 AM
Looking for an argument

My Mood: Breezy
Ive had that thought sometimes when lying on the ground looking up at a sunny sky, though without fear, but that the only thing that stops me from falling into the sky and floating out into space and certain death is gravity.
You gotta realize gravity is what binds this planet together it ain't gonna let you go anywhere.

Bad luck for the young poet would be a rich father, an early marriage, an early success or the ability to do anything well - Charles Bukowski
post #46 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 PM
SAS Member

I have this problem

I have almost the same issues. Terrible fear of being near tall building, fear of looking up at anything tall or vast (like an open sky). I panic in theaters or arenas with high ceilings. I can't sit on a beach without cowering under an umbrella with my palms sweating. I never associated it with a fear of falling up. I just panic at the tallness, or vastness or distance. I have had therapy with did not help. I am now about to start a series of tests to determine if this is a vestibular disorder causing spatial disoriantation. I would love to know if anyone has had success treating this problem.
post #47 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 06:49 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Scared
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel83 View Post
Hello all,

Today I've found a name for my phobia which I have besides social anxiety and agoraphobia. I did a random search on google and I know now that my phobia has a name and that I'm not alone.

I thought there are maybe some people here who have the same? Not that I wish it to anybody lol

It's like I'm scared of the sky usually it's better when it's cloudy. Sunny days with clear sky are especially unpleasant. I'm scared of wide open places where there's no place for me to run for cover, if that makes any sense. I also fear large tall buildings or statues or the like. I may have megalophobia as well.
Well I have a phobia of vomiting, being physically sick and illnesses. I'm a big germaphobic too. It sometimes makes me cry.
post #48 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 09:51 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Twisted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-300 View Post
What is the fear of jumping (from a height) called? That is what I have.
Isn't that called common sense?

Confident, but not really sure.
post #49 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Audacious romantic

My Mood: Fine
Never heard of it. However, I am often scared of falling down from the stairs.

I am the person of a kind heart, sensitive soul, refined tastes and preferences, creative skills, daring ideas, adventurous dreams, romantic dash, and unique sensuality. Yeah, that's me.
post #50 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 02:24 PM
SAS Member

I just Googled this, I don't like sunbathing and when I look up at the sky I think what would happen if gravity turned off and falling into space

I thought nothing of it until earlier this year was on a snowboarding holiday in the French Apls. I was sitting in out snowboarding group on top of the snowcovered mountain looking around all I could see was big scary mountains and blue sky.

The fact im now to snowboarding too didnt help and the fact my instructor was just chatting away I would have been ok if we where moving i think not just sitting there.

I had to cancel the lesson and I remember feeling a bit sick and having to sit down by the life ski place and circling up in a little ball. Im 35 ! it was totally illogical !

Least I know im not the only one I guess its a phase I never used to be like it .
I have since been on a walk up a very high mountain glacier in Austria I still found it hard but least i done it.
post #51 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:17 AM
SAS Member

cant believe it..ive found some people with the same sort of problem. being a man you dont wanna talk about these things. my attacks started about 7 years ago didnt leave the house for 2 years because of them, my first attack was in a football stadium. thought i was gonna die. then they slowly got better about 3 years ago. now alas its all coming back again. going to the doctor this week. just people sharing on here has helped me. though i was proper losing the plot. cryed when i knew im not the only one who feels like this,,,thanks for sharing people, im gonna do somthing about it now.
post #52 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 PM
SAS Member

anyone open to Spiritual Beliefs?

I have been a believer and follower of Jesus for some time now. Separate from religion. In touch with Spirituality.
I have had this fear since I can remember. I always considered it a dramatization when i was lifted upside down while laying on my stomach watching tv; a trick my uncle played on me, according to him, i screamed my head off.. but understanding this problem has a wider range then myself alone, maybe I was born that way??
I was born again last year, and through that time, my Spirituality has been truly activated, although I'm about as dependable as an ice cube in the middle of august, the Spiritual eye avails broader visions and wise counsel..
I was laying outside of the church with a friend of mine.. He laid back, and I was avoiding doing so too, but felt challenged on my heart to do so, and i did.. i was squirmish and tense, but focused above.. i was led to ponder, what is inside of me that fears a loss of gravity.. Why is my friend relaxed and singing to himself, and I'm on the verge of crying, wanting to scream for help.. I could have gotten up, but determination kept me to seek and answer from within..
It felt as though there is a Spiritual connection to this rare and interesting phobia.. I could be wrong, but it seemed as if my Spirit seeks a special calling that, while being in my body, does not quite grasp or fully understand to even remain comfortable in such a "minor situation"..
This last experience happened last night, I was so intrigued by this thought, that I searched online for answers and expertise on this Casadastraphobia, and I found forums..
Is there any feedback or extra ideas considering these things?? All input is welcome.. thanks
post #53 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 07:17 PM
SAS Member

I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNYC View Post
I have almost the same issues. Terrible fear of being near tall building, fear of looking up at anything tall or vast (like an open sky). I panic in theaters or arenas with high ceilings. I can't sit on a beach without cowering under an umbrella with my palms sweating. I never associated it with a fear of falling up. I just panic at the tallness, or vastness or distance. I have had therapy with did not help. I am now about to start a series of tests to determine if this is a vestibular disorder causing spatial disoriantation. I would love to know if anyone has had success treating this problem.
My squirming and tense body parts when I lay back and look up i found to be my holding onto my doubt and fears that I am the only exception to gravity.. I strived to loosen up.. it was challenging, but rather than gripping onto a wall, i was gripping onto myself (tense body parts and squirming).. i wanted to cry, or scream, and your description here (tallness, vastness, distance) seems relatable to this theory or revelation I experienced, connected to a Spiritual aspect.. I feel as though this "minor phobia" is Spiritually related, a higher calling or a type of Spiritual travel that wishes to be experienced.. but while we are stuck in our bodies, and are used to living according to this world and our bodies, this Spiritual tug happens to be beyond our understanding and comprehension that our natural instinct is to pull back, become fearful and live either seeking an answer or avoiding it altogether, which is another natural and common case for mankind and the truth, yes?? honest feedback please. thank you
post #54 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 09:30 PM
SAS Member

I have had similar experiences, especially when I was little. It was never bad, nor was it too much of a problem. It is now very small and only happens during the day.

But I don't think that such a thing is a spiritual reaction. It seems to me like it's caused from seeing such a wide-open space and having very little sense of where you are standing/sitting/lying, and is an exaggeration of a natural instinct to not fall, and to back away from a ledge. I also avoid ledges much more than others do, which seems like it is related to my experience with this (I would often imagine as a child what it would be like if I fell, and I would imagine that the floor was crumbling from under me).

This isn't actually a signature.
post #55 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groouf View Post
Hello,

Im 33 and have the same pathology as you mentionned. It is very comforting seeing that there are other people with the same problem. It began 3 yers ago with a sensation of falling or being sucked up by the sky. Then it reinforced with obsessional thinking about it and images coming in my head of emptiness, space, sky,tall buildings...

I have done a behavioral cognitive therapy, it helped but didn t solve the problem. I have good periods and bad periods, often in relationship with other events in my life. I found that moving to another city or leving my job made the problem worse.

I also have social anxiety and i wonder if those 2 problems are related because it doesn t seem to be a coincidence that people talking about this problem are in a social anxiety forum ?
I also have the problem with high ceilings and during the night. Noisy places are even more problematic. Cloudy weather is better for me tha a big blue sky.

Now, im having an EMDR therapy, i hope this will help. Regarding the question with separation anxiety, i suffer from this so you are perhaps right.

Last thing, did any of you made research about physiological problems, like for instance eyes problems, or posture problems ? I learned that posture and eyes problems can Decrease your balance and create anxiety.

I wish to all of you to get out of this condition, it is really ruining life as you cant escape to the sky and emptiness.

My squirming and tense body parts when I lay back and look up i found to be my holding onto my doubt and fears that I am the only exception to gravity.. I strived to loosen up.. it was challenging, but rather than gripping onto a wall, i was gripping onto myself (tense body parts and squirming).. i wanted to cry, or scream, and your description seems relatable to this theory or revelation I experienced, connected to a Spiritual aspect.. I feel as though this "minor phobia" is Spiritually related, a higher calling or a type of Spiritual travel that wishes to be experienced.. but while we are stuck in our bodies, and are used to living according to this world and our bodies, this Spiritual tug happens to be beyond our understanding and comprehension that our natural instinct is to pull back, become fearful and live either seeking an answer or avoiding it altogether, which is another natural and common case for mankind and the truth
post #56 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:57 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screams View Post
I'm so glad my boyfriend found this forum, I have this fear since 2008. I remember exactly when it happened but I have no idea why... I actually found this phobia on the internet called "Barophobia" which sounds alot like my symptoms. Ever since I found that I feel slightly less crazy.

I used to be on tranquilizers. Not just for this phobia but also since I have a panic dissorder. But I had to stop that because I was beginning to take too much. But now the barophobia just really got worse... Somehow I kind of feel safer when i'm outside to tightly hold someone. Because I feel kind of "floaty??" when I'm alone outside. So it's like I feel their strenght and I dont know, gravity? I don't know why but it just seemes to help me.

I almost feel like crying just because I found this, because I really want to talk to some other people having this. Because not a lot of people know I have this. I mean rationally I know that it's absurd and can't happen, but the sensations I get are so overwhelming.

I'm at the point right now where i'm even willing to try hypnosis or something. I'm also seeing a therapist (way before the gravity thing) and litteraly every professional I told this to had no idea what I was talking about, so I was really glad when I found it by accident on google.

Their advice is exposure, but the thing is, I am soooo overwhelmed and scared when I'm outside, afraid for a really bad panic attack AND falling into the sky and there's NOTHING I can do to stop it. Having no control about it. Which is scary because I want to control everything.

When I first had it my "rational" voice was like, ok that's scary, but you know that can't happen right? Now it's like, it gotten more possible in my head? And it's like my inner voice is screaming it's gonna happen and the rational voice is like a whisper in the back of my mind.

P.S. I also posted this on another site, but I didn't get any answer so I deleted it and feel like try my chances here...
My squirming and tense body parts when I lay back and look up i found to be my holding onto my doubt and fears that I am the only exception to gravity.. I strived to loosen up.. it was challenging, but rather than gripping onto a wall, i was gripping onto myself (tense body parts and squirming).. i wanted to cry, or scream, and your description here (tallness, vastness, distance) seems relatable to this theory or revelation I experienced, connected to a Spiritual aspect.. I feel as though this "minor phobia" is Spiritually related, a higher calling or a type of Spiritual travel that wishes to be experienced.. but while we are stuck in our bodies, and are used to living according to this world and our bodies, this Spiritual tug happens to be beyond our understanding and comprehension that our natural instinct is to pull back, become fearful and live either seeking an answer or avoiding it altogether, which is another natural and common case for mankind and the truth
post #57 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 02:41 PM
SAS Member

i have read numerous shares on this particular forum and am amazed by the relative experience and similarities concerning our emotions and how others compare this to dreams they have experienced. I am exceptionally prone to believing this is a matter of a spiritual ignition, a spark, an attempt for a calling tap into us..
Example: you ever draw a pullstring of a lawn mower?? it may take a few tugs to get the motor running, and when it gets going, it does what its meant to do.
Compare that to our situation. When we make eye contact to the universe, or the endless skies, can something bigger than us try talking to us by tugging on something inside of us?? and we never tend to start up because our phobia prevents us from igniting?
i saw a dream mentioned in this forum where somebody drives up a steep hill, and before reaching the tippy top, the car tumbles backwards and falls.. ive had those same dreams..
I've also had outer body experience dreams.. dreams where I am pulled up, dreams where I am floating up, and dreams where i can jump 5 football fields into the sky.. the dreams where I am "pulled up" Ive had for a number of years now, alot more common from my early twenties (im now 31) frightened me very much at first, although im still not too fond of the whole being "pulled up", i learned to deal with it when i feel it happening..
I have also encountered a phenomenon known as Sleep-Paralysis, (not sleep apnea).. the research i found about this at first (my late teens early twenties period) considered this a hallucination, but other recent study shows it to be a visit from an unfriendly spirit.. what is it doing and why does it occur?? I do not know, but it is not a good feeling.. I do know that in all situations it is meant to make us stronger, through knowledge and experience.

aside from this phobia, does anybody relate to these other experiences I have encountered?

I am considering a spiritual gift or calling that we do not understand considering we are still in our fleshly bodies.. our brains only know so much, and study says we only use 10 percent of it, whats the potential in the remaining 90?.. we cannot comprehend forever, long-lasting, and to no end, which is the basis of our pulling away from our sky vision.. i feel like our spirits wish to be awakened to a calling, but our bodies pull back for lack of understanding..
The only thing to fear is fear itself**
post #58 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:28 AM
SAS Member

I thought me and my brother were the only people that had this fear. He told me about his fear of the sky when I was pretty young, and by about the age of 11 I realized I was fricken frightened of looking up at clear skies. I still loved roller coasters and rides, but I could never let myself look at the sky when I was upside down. Then, one fateful day, I hiked up a mountain.
I thought it would help me get over both my fear of heights and of the sky. It didn't.

You know that "frozen in place" feeling; that blood turning cold, conscious of every nerve ending, brain stops functioning, too-much-fear kind of feeling. Every couple of minutes that hit me. For I don't even know how many hours, that just kept hitting me. I ended up enjoying it a little bit, but man was it difficult.

If you want to do something like that to get rid of your fear, know that it might not work. I suppose that at the very least I can use those memories to overshadow my normal level of fear.
post #59 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 AM
SAS Member

Lets get started

Hello there guys, My name is Tristan, I've suffered from this phobia for nearly 9 years and i'll be the first to say that this is some serious **** to be honest with you. I’m currently going through CBT in the UK with no effect, like everyone else, exposure is too difficult and there are no ‘half-measures’ when you have a fear of falling into the sky. I have been told to stop my CBT while I check for physical issues. What would be really helpful is if the people who posted about balance disorder checks also posted the results of those checks (which when I have mine done, I will post here ASAP). Really its time to get this sorted guys, we’ve got the diagnosis and symptoms, we just need the cure now. Our best bet is checking whether there are any physical issues which will have the same effect of losing balance in an open environment. Lets get this topic hot again and finally start posting some results on here.
post #60 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Permanently Banned

I remember when I learnt that a fear of heights isn't really a fear of heights, it's really a fear of jumping. Not accidentally falling, but a strong urge to jump just to know how that feels. Since I was very young I never had a problem admitting that I had a fear of heights, but secretly I knew it was a fear of jumping and there was no way I would admit that because I thought that was just me. There was no mainstream Internet back then so I couldn't just tap that question into Google.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page