Casadastraphobia - fear of falling into the sky - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
hi..i used to have a fear off this when i was younger but told no-one, i hid it an it eventually went away, i never knew there was a name for it...

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 AM
SAS Member

I'm so glad my boyfriend found this forum, I have this fear since 2008. I remember exactly when it happened but I have no idea why... I actually found this phobia on the internet called "Barophobia" which sounds alot like my symptoms. Ever since I found that I feel slightly less crazy.

I used to be on tranquilizers. Not just for this phobia but also since I have a panic dissorder. But I had to stop that because I was beginning to take too much. But now the barophobia just really got worse... Somehow I kind of feel safer when i'm outside to tightly hold someone. Because I feel kind of "floaty??" when I'm alone outside. So it's like I feel their strenght and I dont know, gravity? I don't know why but it just seemes to help me.

I almost feel like crying just because I found this, because I really want to talk to some other people having this. Because not a lot of people know I have this. I mean rationally I know that it's absurd and can't happen, but the sensations I get are so overwhelming.

I'm at the point right now where i'm even willing to try hypnosis or something. I'm also seeing a therapist (way before the gravity thing) and litteraly every professional I told this to had no idea what I was talking about, so I was really glad when I found it by accident on google.

Their advice is exposure, but the thing is, I am soooo overwhelmed and scared when I'm outside, afraid for a really bad panic attack AND falling into the sky and there's NOTHING I can do to stop it. Having no control about it. Which is scary because I want to control everything.

When I first had it my "rational" voice was like, ok that's scary, but you know that can't happen right? Now it's like, it gotten more possible in my head? And it's like my inner voice is screaming it's gonna happen and the rational voice is like a whisper in the back of my mind.

P.S. I also posted this on another site, but I didn't get any answer so I deleted it and feel like try my chances here...
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 AM
SAS Member

possible cause

Hello,

Following my previous posts, I confirm I have a theory that casadastraphobia (as acrophobia) could relate to "space and motion discomfort" that is a problem of balance with the eyes, vestibular and kinesthetic systems. there is research concerning this and acrophobia (fear of height, vertigo) is considered by some scientists as a consequence of this problem. I wonder if some of you feel this could be the case for them ? I would be happy to talk about it.

interesting links :
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18653552
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrophobia
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00965035

post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Permanently Banned

What is the fear of jumping (from a height) called? That is what I have.
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM
SAS Member

Good to know I'm not alone

I have thought for a long time that I'm just crazy. Im glad I found this thread. Makes me feel better.

About three years ago, I moved to WA on a plane. I was fine. A year later I came back home to visit and had a full blown panic attack on the plane. It suddenly just HIT me how high up I was and how easy it would be to just plummet back down to earth. Once I was back in WA, I starting noticing things: I had the same amount of fear when thinking of standing on top of a building and looking down, as I did with standing on the sidewalk and looking up. I forced myself to look straight up one day and was hit with the most overwhelming vertigo and panic. I suddenly knew gravity was going to reverse and everyone was just going to fall into the sky.

Sometimes when I'm idling at a red light in my car, I cant stop thinking of the cars around me suddenly lifting and falling up into the sky and I have to try to control my panicked breathing and clutch the steering wheel to prove to myself that I'm grounded.

I'm fine inside buildings and even under awnings. Its under the open sky that I cant breathe. I have felt crazy for a long time and am happy to hear other people have the same thing. My girlfriend wants me to get my head checked out. She thinks there might be something pushing on my brain because I had the same phobia in my dream last night: Spinning, panicky vertigo while looking at the sky. lol
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 03:51 PM
SAS Member

Never heard of that before. Wouldn't gravity have to turn upside down for that to happen? I wouldn't see need for planes anymore if that happened.
I might be thinking a little too much into it.

Spread the word about how important that we save the tigers for our world.
(I have an egroup called Tiger Appreciation group, anyone who likes to give support can join.) :3

We are what we are, so don't change who you are just improve yourself to overcome the challenges that life throws at you. Then one day you'll have what you worked for.
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJackson View Post
I have thought for a long time that I'm just crazy. Im glad I found this thread. Makes me feel better.

About three years ago, I moved to WA on a plane. I was fine. A year later I came back home to visit and had a full blown panic attack on the plane. It suddenly just HIT me how high up I was and how easy it would be to just plummet back down to earth. Once I was back in WA, I starting noticing things: I had the same amount of fear when thinking of standing on top of a building and looking down, as I did with standing on the sidewalk and looking up. I forced myself to look straight up one day and was hit with the most overwhelming vertigo and panic. I suddenly knew gravity was going to reverse and everyone was just going to fall into the sky.

Sometimes when I'm idling at a red light in my car, I cant stop thinking of the cars around me suddenly lifting and falling up into the sky and I have to try to control my panicked breathing and clutch the steering wheel to prove to myself that I'm grounded.

I'm fine inside buildings and even under awnings. Its under the open sky that I cant breathe. I have felt crazy for a long time and am happy to hear other people have the same thing. My girlfriend wants me to get my head checked out. She thinks there might be something pushing on my brain because I had the same phobia in my dream last night: Spinning, panicky vertigo while looking at the sky. lol
You pinned the nail on the head for me. I've had this phobia for about a year now with no other anxiety problems. For me it started after experiencing an earthquake which turned on this idea in my head that nothing is stable and everything can fall a part any second. It has gotten worse and I too have to hold onto my steering wheel at red lights because the anxiety is unbearable. I have found that just staring into the rear view mirror or closing my eyes helps. Yet of course keeping your eyes closed behind the wheel is never a good idea.

This forum has helped me a lot though. Not only have I read experiences others have had very similar to mine but I was never able to put into words what my anxieties surfaced around. I just knew I was scared of looking up and NEED to clench to the ground when I do. Although I always thought that my fears were irrational it has helped to identify that my anxiety comes from the fear of falling into the sky. What is the worst part is that you appear completely normal and it can happen in any situation. I had a job interview high up in an office building and the room was full of very large windows that overlooked the rest of the city. It was terrible and my interview did not go well.
post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:10 AM
SAS Member

This is a new phobia for me

All my life I have always had a sever fear of heights. About a year ago I was sitting in the park with my dog and I was watching a plane in the air and I dont know why I thought of it but I thought about what it would be like if the earth lost its gravitational pull and I went flying into outer space....... The next thing I know I had a full blown panic attack. I am glad to see that I am not the only person that has this most ridiculous phobia. I have a feeling that it feeds off having a fear of heights........ Since these are the only 2 phobias that I have.
post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirotora View Post
Never heard of that before. Wouldn't gravity have to turn upside down for that to happen? I wouldn't see need for planes anymore if that happened.
I might be thinking a little too much into it.
I believe gravity is the force that holds matter together, so if gravity were to reverse, all atoms and whatnot would explode, so you'd be instantly dead anyway.
Of course, the point is that phobias are irrational. But when you think about it the sky is a like a creepy, bottomless void. It's not that strange to be scared of it.
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM
wtvs

i got scared just by reading this thread i havent had much fear of falling into sky although ive given it a thought (but if you think about it..><) but i have big fear sometimes that something goes wrong in cosmos and we either start spinning super fast either planets will go crazy and collapse into each other or something massive appears that i cant explain. im also afraid of large buildings and crossing big bridges. i shouldnt have read this thread, it all comes back actually x/
post #31 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hello everyone,

I'm very sorry, I haven't been able to answer some of your posts since I've been away for a while. I'm sad that you all have to go through this, since it's absolutely devastating but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this problem, I don't even know if 'Casadastrophobia' is the right term for this.

I've been feeling a bit better for the past couple of weeks but only because I've been completely distracted from 'the sky'. It does make me wonder if this could be simply some type of OCD, what do you guys think??

Somewhere on another forum a person mentioned 'childhood separation anxiety' in early years, I definately is true with me, I was abandoned as a child, but it could be simply OCD, because I feel when I don't think about the sky I actually feel better.

I'm now having trouble standing at crossroads (is that a right English word? lol). I'm still having trouble looking at the sky and looking 'up' so to speak. I've just been distracted lately (got a new job, finally, yay). But I was also avoiding places, not soo good I know. I hate this floaty feeling and it immediately sends me into a panic attack, it's like the neverending limitless (scary!) sky wants to suck me up, it's a truly horrifying fear, even worse in summer imho, I noticed when it rains or snows it's not the same because I feel like there is a layer between me and the sky, sounds weird no??
post #32 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM
SAS Member

Hi guys,

Quick update, since my last post I've been looking for help with this phobia, and since of october I found someone. Don't know if anyone has heard of this, but this therapy is called EMDR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMDR). I've had 3 sessions, and I already notice a difference, so does my envirement. I'm not yet completely rid of it, but I have high hopes, this kind of therapy really seems to work for me, and I wanted to let you guys know, maybe this information can help someone else...

Good luck!
post #33 of 86 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 AM
SAS Member

Sorry for the dubble post, but I forgot to mention that my therapist also helped someone who feared that she would simply float away which is kind of similar I guess, and that person is completely rid of it!
post #34 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:54 AM
SAS Member

so other people feel this way...

I can't remember the first time this happened but I know that I was outside and I was an adult. It may have been during fireworks like it was this weekend when it hit me again for the first time in a long time. I don't have social anxiety and this fear doesn't happen all the time when I'm outside, but I haaaaaaate it. See I actually enjoy the outdoors, but all I want to do is run inside when this happens. I become obsessed with the idea that I'm going to be sucked into space. I can't even look up when it happens and I have to find something heavy and sollid to hang onto or I start feeling dizzy and panic sets in. I can also have this happen in a large room with high ceilings such as an arena. I'm careful never to look up at a concert or in a mall. At least in a concert I can hang onto the seat though. Outside it's horrible. Ruins my ability to enjoy anything while it's happening, and no amount of rationalizing helps. I can go a long time without even thinking about it but then suddenly there it is again. At least I now know that other people in the world feel this way... the really strange twist is that I sometimes have lucid dreams and as soon as i realize i'm dreaming I am so excited because I can fly, I always fly and it's exhilarating and empowering. Thinking about those dreams during an awake episode thought just makes me feel more panic. Gotta say, for some people, sometimes life can just friggin suck!
post #35 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpresion View Post
i got scared just by reading this thread i havent had much fear of falling into sky although ive given it a thought (but if you think about it..><) but i have big fear sometimes that something goes wrong in cosmos and we either start spinning super fast either planets will go crazy and collapse into each other or something massive appears that i cant explain. im also afraid of large buildings and crossing big bridges. i shouldnt have read this thread, it all comes back actually x/
Past few years I have this fear almost exactly, I used to love the sky and its almighty beauty but unfortunately now, a clear blue sky, just seems like a terrifying abyss to me now. The thought that up there is a infinite unknown unpredictable universe makes me feel that in any moment, it could come crushing down and collapse or something similar. This is how my head feels whilst panicking about it, its feels like the universe is suddenly crushing down on my head. I also have the same fear of bridges and heights.
post #36 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 03:49 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Afraid of being castrated, what?
post #37 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Permanently Banned

When I was a child staring upside into the sky, I had a similar thought. Not really an actual fear though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
Afraid of being castrated, what?
Maybe he's afraid of being circumcised.
post #38 of 86 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:00 PM
SAS Member

Hmm never had that. If i look up in a tall building my pee gets cold im not sure if thats the same thing haha
post #39 of 86 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 AM
SAS Member

Hello everyone,

I'm coming back to you with my thoughts today regarding our problem. I think sharing and finding commonalities could help us find causes and treatments.

Things are going up and down for me. My opinion today (it can evolve of course) is that this problem is a mix of several elements, which is why the therapies I've done didn't succeed in curing it totally.
I think there is first a sort of vertigo due to a problem with eyes or internal ear or related to the body. This one is very "hardware" based. And then I think that based on this first sensation we felt someday, there is a psychologic phenomenon between phobia and OCD that put in our brain a fearfull thought that sky could suck us up. I think that confronted to this vertigo, the inconscious brain wrongly assumed that what we were feeling could actually happen. This is why I agree with you Daniel83 that this could be an OCD.

I think this process has been made possible by a previous state of anxiety and or stress and a certain type of personality (I am prone to obsessive thinking in general). When this problem occured for me, i was in a new job where I was having a lot of stress due to social phobia. It's like my brain had to much and did some sort of "burn out" in the form of this phobia/OCD.

What drives my opinion of the brain as a part of the problem and not only the body is that my phobia has quickly come to obsessive thinking. Hours, weeks and months after first feeling this, I was not only afraid of seeing the sky, but also by thinking about the sky, space or emptiness. Then came frightening thoughts about death, metaphysic questioning, doubts about other people and the world really existing or not (with feelings of derealization), impulse phobias (fear of having an impulsion to do harm to someone).

These other symptoms make me think that there is some relation with OCD. In my understanding, phobias are considered fears of a situation, but are fears of the thought of a situation phobias or obsessive thinking ? I found people talking about obsessive phobias for those kind of thoughts.

I've also noticed that I tend not to have this phobia when I dream, or just if I am close to waking up. It's like when I'm sleeping, the part of my brain which creats this phobia is sleeping too.

Something else is how much my general emotional state makes things better or worse. I know when I am to much under stress, fears come stronger and more frequent to a point where I am totally frightened. When I am in a more quiet period, things can be much better even if I have never been in a feeling that everything has totally vanished. Which is the state I am of course looking after. Not that everything is ok, but that these irrational and fearfull thoughts are gone.

I think Cognitive and Behavorial Therapy has helped make things more livable, perhaps I should have continue with this therapy but after 2 years, I wanted to try something else. I have done EMDR and can't see any results, perhaps small improvments. My new strategy is to work on being more confortable in my life, more secured, more quiet and relaxed. I've moved in another city and I'm looking for a new job (unemployment is generating anxiety for now). I try to practice sport and everything that could contribute to a healthier life. I'm working on my social anxiety and assertiveness to be more confortable with people, so that they are not a source of stress to me (which is perhaps the cause of all these problems)

I've stopped trying to much to find a solution because this had become obsessive and stressful too. I just keep informed from time to time and check the forum to see if I find new informations or testimonials. I think sharing is a good way to try and find causes and treatment. The similarities in symptoms between all of us makes it evident to me that we share a common problems that probably has common roots and solutions. Therefore, a consciencious comparison of our stories would be a good idea in my opinion. For example, like Daniel83, a big blue sky is more frightening to me that a cloudy sky, rain or snow. Perhaps because it looks more empty. I have a problem with big monuments too, zeppelin (but not really with planes, dont know why), ...

I hope this helps. Thanks for reading
post #40 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 10:51 PM
SAS Member

Interesting. I have had nightmares where I fall off the earth like gravity is all messed up. I also have had dreams where I am in a car and I try to climb the hill but the hill is too steep and I and the car fall. I usually have nightmares when my anxiety is really high.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page