Casadastraphobia - fear of falling into the sky - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Question

Casadastraphobia - fear of falling into the sky

Hello all,

Today I've found a name for my phobia which I have besides social anxiety and agoraphobia. I did a random search on google and I know now that my phobia has a name and that I'm not alone.

I thought there are maybe some people here who have the same? Not that I wish it to anybody lol

It's like I'm scared of the sky usually it's better when it's cloudy. Sunny days with clear sky are especially unpleasant. I'm scared of wide open places where there's no place for me to run for cover, if that makes any sense. I also fear large tall buildings or statues or the like. I may have megalophobia as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

no why, I'M serious, please tell me I'm not that crazy lol
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 12:18 PM
*Sigh*

tbh it sounds plausable... something like that seems reasonable to me. I have a fear of falling rather than a fear of heights... I know if i fall i can break my neck or spine and end up in a state that leaves me compramised and as a SA sufferer having people take care of me is a huge nono.

My life is a train wreck waiting to happen.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Kholood17

Exclamation

Fear of falling into the sky

Trust me! you deff arnt the only one with this issue. Mine may be a little different but im not sure. See, i have a huge fear of falling into the sky and i thought i was the only one who felt this way. Whenever i go to an amusement park i NEVER want to go on any of the upside-down rides. i am TERRIFIED to get on upside-down rides because i feel as if im going to fall right into the sky. I know it sounds crazy and all but i just feel as if its going to happen. its such an uncomfortable feeling. it scares the hell outta me! even though i cant flip i think i would b terrified to do a flip outside or being upside-down outside would scare the crap outta me! for this reason i dont get on any upside-down rides. ive only been on one in my life and it was a inside upside-down ride called Houdini's Great Escape, and i was even terrified on that one. Or like the other day when i was in a big wide open parking lot at night, i was looking up at the moon (which was so big) and i got scared as i was looking up and had to hold on to my boyfriend kuz i felt like i was going to fall into the sky again lol...idk why i have this fear, i just do! Also about a few weeks ago i got on one of those swing rides, u noe where u sit in these chairs and the ride gets higher and higher and swings you in a huge circle with a bung of other swings in front of you and behind you. we were so high up and the ride was goin at a above average speed to where i couldnt look into the sky kuz ONCE AGAIN i felt like i was going to fall into it...al i could do was look down at all the people below me. weird!...[/FONT]
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
clarification... like flying up into the air.. moving through the sky??
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 PM
roivas yromem eerf lla

me too

Never be negative Owl+
see from all angles
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

sorry for bumping this thread, I wanna thank all of you who contributed to my thread . I wonder if the cause of this fear might be separation anxiety?
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Greenmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel83 View Post
Hello all,

Today I've found a name for my phobia which I have besides social anxiety and agoraphobia. I did a random search on google and I know now that my phobia has a name and that I'm not alone.

I thought there are maybe some people here who have the same? Not that I wish it to anybody lol

It's like I'm scared of the sky usually it's better when it's cloudy. Sunny days with clear sky are especially unpleasant. I'm scared of wide open places where there's no place for me to run for cover, if that makes any sense. I also fear large tall buildings or statues or the like. I may have megalophobia as well.

hmm. At least this should be easier to treat than your social anxiety. Maybe getting proof that you cannot fall into the sky you might help? Researching physics and stuff. I know you probably consciously know this, but it might help the subconscious mind to recognize this.

Seeing videos of buildings or pictures of large buldings/objects could be the first step to help you overcome the fear of large objects. ( I got this idea from a video I watched about virtual exposure therapy).

good luck
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 AM
SAS Member

I used to think about this when I was younger. Man would that suck. I even thought about being inside more often so that if it happened, I wouldn't fall into space (although I wouldn't ever be able to go outside, and would die of starvation. opps). Eventually I got over it. I guess if it's possible to be afraid of it, its possible to develop a phobia of it.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM
SAS Member

I can't say this has been a major problem for me by any means, but I don't feel so crazy for having occasionally had a mild fear of the possibility that gravity might randomly fail one day anymore. I guess I haven't had that in years, though.

More serious for me is the fear of very large but enclosed spaces, such as gymnasiums and theaters - specifically of "falling" and landing on the ceiling. It doesn't stop me from entering such places, but can make me a little uncomfortable in them sometimes. I know it's completely illogical, but then so is SA...

Is there a name for a fear of falling up while indoors? Would that just be a variant of casadastraphobia?
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 AM
SAS Member

So this is actually a thing. I'm also afraid of huge buildings and towers, especially when I'm really close to them. I also never look up when I'm in a building with a high ceiling, such as a church. It's like some kind of reverse acrophobia.

I've had a physics student explain to me that it's impossible to fall into the sky since if gravity would reverse, all matter would explode. Still didn't help cure my fear though.
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 AM
SAS Member

I have a fear of buildings with a really, really high ceiling. It scares me, i have dreams about it where i fall up to the ceiling or something. What's really scary is when i dream about a ceiling that never seems to end. I have a fear of looking up at really tall buildings, where i feel like i'm going to fall down if i look all the way up at it. When I'm up in a really high place, I feel a lot more comfortable looking down than looking up. Looking up is scary.
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 PM
SAS Member

Casadastraphobia.

It's so comforting to know I'm not alone in this. I'm not the only person.
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 AM
SAS Member

I have the same

Hello,

Im 33 and have the same pathology as you mentionned. It is very comforting seeing that there are other people with the same problem. It began 3 yers ago with a sensation of falling or being sucked up by the sky. Then it reinforced with obsessional thinking about it and images coming in my head of emptiness, space, sky,tall buildings...

I have done a behavioral cognitive therapy, it helped but didn t solve the problem. I have good periods and bad periods, often in relationship with other events in my life. I found that moving to another city or leving my job made the problem worse.

I also have social anxiety and i wonder if those 2 problems are related because it doesn t seem to be a coincidence that people talking about this problem are in a social anxiety forum ?
I also have the problem with high ceilings and during the night. Noisy places are even more problematic. Cloudy weather is better for me tha a big blue sky.

Now, im having an EMDR therapy, i hope this will help. Regarding the question with separation anxiety, i suffer from this so you are perhaps right.

Last thing, did any of you made research about physiological problems, like for instance eyes problems, or posture problems ? I learned that posture and eyes problems can Decrease your balance and create anxiety.

I wish to all of you to get out of this condition, it is really ruining life as you cant escape to the sky and emptiness.
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 05:02 PM
SAS Member

Red face

Crazy!

I just came back from my first trip to New York. I felt like I was going crazy on the double decker tour bus. I was holding on to the seat and guard rail for dear life every-time I looked up at the building profiles. I knew it was irrational, but I felt like I was going to be sucked right up there!

While my family members looked at me like I was nuts, I knew I couldn't be the only one with the issue! Talk about relief when I saw this post!

I've been bothered by something like this since I've been a little kid. I used to fall flat on the ground when planes flew overhead and hold on to the grass (as early as 7 years old). I felt like they were going to pull me up. I am not fond of heights or planes and this trip (4th on a plane) was the worst. I had to focus on my breathing during the turbulence.

I'm fine as long as I'm grounded. I fear plummeting (I had an uncle who liked to toss us in the air as kids...hated that too)...rising and plummeting. I'm kind of concerned that it's getting worse as I get older (45 now). I told my husband I think I'll need something for anxiety the next time we fly. I don't even take tylenol without being in dire straights.

It's not debilitating...yet...any more advice?
post #16 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Ph.D in Stupid Ideas

I often fantasize about falling into the sky, it feels cathartic to me.

But I totally get what you mean about being afraid of things most people aren't afraid of! I have a super bad phobia of butterflies and get made fun of by people when I get divebombed by one in public and freak out... also I have, well, not a phobia, but I get this feeling of dread when I'm near satellite dishes. Big ones like SETI or small ones like the DirecTV home dishes.
post #17 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Permanently Banned

I have a fear of heights with all the classic physical symptoms like perspiration, giddiness, disorientation, etc... well, it isn't actually heights or falling; it's jumping on purpose. As just one random example, I remember being at the seaside on a pier when I was about six looking at the water and the menacing jellyfish below and I really had a strong urge to jump over the railings to certain death or traumatic injury - but I didn't want to die even.
post #18 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewoman View Post
I just came back from my first trip to New York. I felt like I was going crazy on the double decker tour bus. I was holding on to the seat and guard rail for dear life every-time I looked up at the building profiles. I knew it was irrational, but I felt like I was going to be sucked right up there!

While my family members looked at me like I was nuts, I knew I couldn't be the only one with the issue! Talk about relief when I saw this post!

I've been bothered by something like this since I've been a little kid. I used to fall flat on the ground when planes flew overhead and hold on to the grass (as early as 7 years old). I felt like they were going to pull me up. I am not fond of heights or planes and this trip (4th on a plane) was the worst. I had to focus on my breathing during the turbulence.

I'm fine as long as I'm grounded. I fear plummeting (I had an uncle who liked to toss us in the air as kids...hated that too)...rising and plummeting. I'm kind of concerned that it's getting worse as I get older (45 now). I told my husband I think I'll need something for anxiety the next time we fly. I don't even take tylenol without being in dire straights.

That bus trip sounded awful. Since you've had this problem since little it sounds like a long-term visual spatial or balance problem. Maybe get your balance tested. I'd probably just ask for anti anxiety meds for flights and stay off double decker buses if I were you.
post #19 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewoman View Post

Hi, I have exactly the same, a trip to NY would be horror for me, although I would so love to go there one day.

Thanks also to all the other people who responded!!

I don't know, I read somewhere that this could stem from separation anxiety in your childhood, but it could also be a balance problem, sometimes I do feel like there's something wrong my eyes and balance!

could it be OCD perhaps, mine has traits of OCD definately in that I obsess over these thoughts, when I don't think about them I feel kind of better.
post #20 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 04:20 PM
SAS Member

Hello,

I would be very happy to talk with anybody interested concerning this problem, it feels always good to me to see i am not alone. I hope it s ok to post my email address : [email protected]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page