Can't relax for driving test - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2021, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
MHD
SAS Member

Can't relax for driving test

I have a driving test in 2 days, but I'm never calm enough to drive without mistakes. My driving instructor always tells me to be more calm and do things gently and I try, but still I miss a sign or press the pedal too strong, there is always something I do wrong. I'm not really scared of driving, but I think there are some subconscious things that keep me from driving better. My parents are arguing a lot / or not talking to each other, so that makes me tense, I also don't have a lot of friends or anyone who I could really trust. There's nothing I look forward to, I just kind of go along with what happens, so I have almost no motivation, I am rarely happy. I just want to pass the driving test, but it seems so impossible with all the thoughts that I try to hide and lack of motivation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2021, 12:47 PM
SAS Member

I failed the first time I took mine, I was pretty much having a panic attack when I took it. Even so It seems pretty common for them to fail someone the first time. I took my tests in the late 1970s, yes I'm that old. Back then we had a state trooper give the test which only made it more nerve racking I think. I don't think they do it that everywhere, not even sure if they still do it that way here either anymore. I came back in several weeks and took it again and passed, different state trooper less intimidating one. lol I wasn't quite as nervous the second time. I wouldn't worry too much about failing the first time I'm sure you could always take it again and probably would be less nervous then.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2021, 12:56 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
The important things to consider are that you can always re-take it, that the more you try not to be nervous, the more nervous you will be, but that you will be nervous, and that you absolutely can pass the test while nervous.

You cant try to be calm, but weirdly enough the less you fight the anxiety, the calmer you are, so the mindset I would try to have would be that you will be nervous, but that you should expect this, and try your best anyway, probably expect to fail (it's fine, nothing bad happens if you fail, I promise!) and if you do pass it's a bonus.

The next time around, if you fail, it will be much easier, because you will have experienced it before! Everything is better easier the second time around.

Good luck .

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2021, 05:29 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Don't be discouraged if you don't pass the first time. I let my nerves get the best of me and I didn't pass it the first time either. I also had a strict driving instructor so that didn't help but it's funny to look back on it now. I still remember going around a turn a little too fast and he was overdramatic and slammed himself into the passenger side door. It was definitely easier for me going into it the second time though because then I knew exactly what to expect.

A person's a person no matter how small. -Dr. Seuss
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2021, 05:34 AM
SAS Member

i was very nervous myself whn i did the driving test.....i think thats the norm
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2021, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
MHD
SAS Member

I actually passed my driving test despite making some small mistakes, I'm really happy now, it feels like a lot of doors are opening for me
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2021, 09:10 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD View Post
I actually passed my driving test despite making some small mistakes, I'm really happy now, it feels like a lot of doors are opening for me

Amazing news, well done you, and what a achievement.

These are just my thoughts/opinions, I am not a Doctor/Health Professional etc. so please draw your own conclusions.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2021, 07:19 AM
Bigger than my body

My Mood: Lonely
Congratulations man. I loved that feeling when I got my drivers license like a new form of freedom. I still like driving just for the hell of it and exploring new areas nearby, I've done it during covid just to get out of the house.

You did better than me. When I first took it I was so nervous I couldn't think strait and ran a red light.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page