Can't concentrate/and fidgety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
In my shiny bubble

Can't concentrate/and fidgety

I've been down a few times recently. I've found if I try to distract myself away from being down and do something I like doing. Like cross stitching or watching tv or reading a book. I find I can only do it for so long. I can't concentrate properly on the film or what I am reading or if I am doing a craft like cross stitching, I do it for a little while, then I get up and have to walk around, because I can't concentrate.
My mind is preoccupied with other stuff. I'm always worrying about something. I can't relax and shut off and do things I enjoy. It's like I've got a short attention span or something, no motivation and I get fidgety. Is there a name for something like this? I also find I spend more time on the computer, more than doing anything else.

To the world you are one person, but to one person you are the world.

Some people make the world more special, just by being in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Sawyer Kate

I understand. I am consently having to do other things while I'm doing something else. I haveto be reading a book while the TV is on, or I knit while I'm on the internet, or I play with my hair if there is nothing else to do. I can't hold still for long periods of time at all. This is troublesome for me because I'm a writer, and I have to be able to focus and concentrate. I understand your pain. I don't know how to fix it, but I thought it would nice tocommiserate. I was diagnoised with ADD, if that helps.

I wanted the past to go away, I wanted to leave it, like another country; I wanted my life to close, and open like a hinge, like a wing, like the part of the song where it falls down over the rocks: an explosion, a discovery; I wanted to hurry into the work of my life; I wanted to know, whoever I was, I was alive for a little while.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:38 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
I am like this.

I've been thinking I should try to work on improving my attention span by practicing trying to force myself to work at tasks for gradually increasing lengths of time. About six years ago I was really disappointed with my inability to finish a book, so I spent a month just working on trying to read. It was very slow-going and I was never able to read for more than a few minutes at a time without getting distracted one way or another, but at least since I kept redirecting my attention to the words I was able to eventually get through the books (about nine of them that month). I managed to keep reading at a rate of a little under a book per week for a couple of years after that. I am back to hardly reading and not finishing anything I start now.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
King of Procrastina-

I've had problems like that all my life. I was literally the kid who couldn't do something for more then 30 minutes. I still am I kind of way.

I have no problem focusing on thing I'm really interested in. I can read a good book for hours without stopping but I cant work for more then 30 minutes without diverting my attention to something useless...

Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
Cause anything's better than posh isolation
-Belle & Sebastian
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
In my shiny bubble

I used to be hyperactive and misbehaved at home when I was younger.

I guess it is just depression now though.

To the world you are one person, but to one person you are the world.

Some people make the world more special, just by being in it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:39 AM
SAS Member

I have never been diagnosed with ADD, but I think I have had this problem for several years (not being able to stay focused on daily tasks at my apartment). I never had this problem to this extent before. I am seeking out help with my family and medical appointment after appointment it seems.

I have a lot of energy, I just tend to use it on things that stimulate learning, lol. The computer is a source for information at your fingertips and mine. I believe that it has also hindered my social interaction with people. I love and hate the raging computer machines, lol.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 03:14 PM
SAS Member

i'm working on making fidget jewelry, would you use this? https://www.instagram.com/artbylenafh/
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5449.jpg  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page