BiPolar Disorder??????? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad

BiPolar Disorder???????

I was diagnosed years ago as having Social phobia/anxiety, generalized anxiety, panic, and OCD. It was hard continuing treatment since leaving the house was difficult. My anxiety has gotten so bad that I got an evaluation with a new doctor who seems to think I'm bipolar. Has anyone's Doctor tried to say they are bipolar when the symptoms don't match? I do not have mood swings and I'm not irritable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 11:37 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
That is something for you and your doctor to figure out together. Anyone's advice here is pretty useless when it comes to bipolar. I was diagnosed with BP 1 and I know I have it because I went to the hospital because I was seeing delusions and hallucinations. It is possible that you have a milder form of bipolar called Cyclothymia. Be absolutely sure that you have it because bipolar meds are strong and you need to take them for pretty much the rest of your life.

I am a believer the the Twelve-step Program.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 04:14 AM
bipolar

You will not be diagnosed with bipolar until you have had at least one episode of mania - the severity of which will pretty much determine whether you are 1 or 2.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
What is mania? My doctor said that I might be bipolar since I suffered depression on Paxil, and because I pick the skin on my fingers. I pick my skin on my fingers when I'm nervous, but she seems to think it's someone else. So she prescribed me Lamictal which is for bipolar. Will the medicine harm me if I'm not bipolar? I don't know what to do
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 07:09 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMySolitude View Post
What is mania? My doctor said that I might be bipolar since I suffered depression on Paxil, and because I pick the skin on my fingers. I pick my skin on my fingers when I'm nervous, but she seems to think it's someone else. So she prescribed me Lamictal which is for bipolar. Will the medicine harm me if I'm not bipolar? I don't know what to do
http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorde...mania-symptoms

Have a look at the descriptions here.

When I was truly manic I flew all over the world and spent a lot of money very quickly - no-one knew where I was and I stayed up for about 4 days in a row - doing crazy things like washing all of my clothes in the hotel swimming pool. It was pretty weird.

It doesn't have to be that extreme - hyper-mania is less than full-on mania.

Ask the doctor or a pharmacist about the medication - and don't be scared to talk to another doctor if your one doesn't seem to know what he's doing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:42 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMySolitude View Post
Mania can mean a lot of things. It can mean anything from going on crazy shopping sprees, being oversexual without fearing the possibility of the consequences, or seeing hallucinations and delusions.

Please express your concerns about whether or not you have bipolar to your doctor. Bipolar medications do have side effects, but are generally harmless.

Don't stop taking your medication without an okay from your doctor. Bipolar is a serious condition and not taking medication if you have it can lead to overwhelming consequences.

I am a believer the the Twelve-step Program.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page