BDD: Watching yourself on video? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
dax
Losing Ground

BDD: Watching yourself on video?

I have never watched myself on video and never could. I don't think I'll ever end up married, but if I do I don't want anyone recording it and if anyone did I would never watch it. Watching a video of myself would be like this ridiculously freakish and painful thing. Yet I look at myself in the mirror every single day when I get dressed, shave brush my teeth and comb my hair. I can look at myself in the mirror- and it's not too bad. But just the thought of watching myself on video really frightens me. Its like it would be total confirmation of my freakishness and how different I am from every one else.

Anyone else like this?

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:53 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy

Re: BDD: Watching yourself on video?

I always wondered what tv and movie stars feel when they see themselves on the tv screen?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Shauna The Dead

I don't mind seeing myself on video. I like to, actually. Though sometimes I hate my voice when it's on video.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
dax
Losing Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6
I always wondered what tv and movie stars feel when they see themselves on the tv screen?
They're all hot so what do they care. And besides they make millions of dollars, hell I'd watch myself on video all day for that much cash flow.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 PM
going hazy

I can't stand watching a video of myself... ugh.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 PM
SAS Member

I remember in high school my teacher videotaped our group presentations ...she didn't show it right away but once i found out when she was going to let us watch it I ditched class. I don't want to see myself on a vid...I'm afraid it'll just confirm exactly what I think of myself.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 12:01 PM
She-Wolf

we were supposed to do that as practise in the SA group i was in (they would film us while we talked or did a presentation) but i refused to participate.. god i would hate to watch me. i hate my appearance and my voice and i'd probably feel even worse about myself afterwards.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 12:34 PM
SAS Member

I HATE watching myself on video. I avoid it as much as I can. I look so ugly, compared with everyone else in the video, and my voice comes out all high and my laugh sounds cackly. It depresses me a lot to watch myself, it's like confirming my worst fears.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
dax
Losing Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Amanda~
I remember in high school my teacher videotaped our group presentations ...she didn't show it right away but once i found out when she was going to let us watch it I ditched class. I don't want to see myself on a vid...I'm afraid it'll just confirm exactly what I think of myself.
Yea, thats a good way to put it. It'll just confirm the worst.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:13 PM
SAS Member

Lol, whenever I see myself on video, I have this urge to start laughing. It's really bizarre but I can't help it.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 PM
SAS Member

If I had to see a video of myself, it would just confirm how uncomfortable I look around others and how much I wanna get out of there. I would stick out like a sore thumb.

If I actually went out of my comfort zone and tried to act cool and confident, as though I actually had a cool personality, it might work... I've noticed lately that when I'm watching tv, everyone always tries to act cool. It's as if you're supposed to try and act cool, and if you don't, it's unacceptable. My problem is, I never play cool, I just play defensive, and it comes across like I'm a jerk. I need to learn how to act cool.. and also how to fake laugh.. then I'd be set.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Walking in the dark

I hate seeing myself on video. I hate my voice, I think I'm ugly, and I look fat. I also cannot stand to have my picture taken. When I look in the mirror I see a fat, ugly, pathetic person who hates herself. I definitely have BDD.

Deb
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:17 PM
gone

It would be torture to have to watch myself on video. It would easily be worse than anything dreamed up by the Spanish Inquisition.

Has nothing to do with BDD.

Quote:
Watching a video of myself would be like this ridiculously freakish and painful thing. Yet I look at myself in the mirror every single day when I get dressed, shave brush my teeth and comb my hair. I can look at myself in the mirror- and it's not too bad.
You're lucky.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 PM
SAS Member

I don't like seeing myself on video but
I more so have a hard time hearing my voice. I always cringe and get embarassed.
And I hate seeing myself in pictures most tmes too.

"Riders on the storm; Into this house we're born; Into this world we're thrown. Like a dog without a bone; An actor out alone; Riders on the storm."
~ Jim Morrison ~
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
SAS Member

On Monday at track practice they were showing video someone else on the team had filmed of some of us running at a previous practice...I almost started crying. I looked like a corpse. I'm really glad I don't have to see/hear myself on video that often.

This is true for photos too, since I am one of the least photogenic people I know and I usually end up looking about 10 pounds heavier in photos than I actually am.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Permanently Banned

I've made videos for a girl online(non-sexual)and before I'd send them, I'd re-watch them. I actually thought it was pretty cool seeing myself how others see me but I thought I looked and sounded retarded. But I'm sure that's just my low self-esteem talking.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy246 View Post
I've made videos for a girl online(non-sexual)
funny you say that. i send my girlfriend a lot of sexual videos of myself alll the time. usually when she's at work. ok, that was a lie. i actually hate looking at myself on video. not because i have BDD (i think if you're ugly (like me) it doesn't coun't), but because i sound weird and i look depressed.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANCIENT View Post
funny you say that. i send my girlfriend a lot of sexual videos of myself alll the time. usually when she's at work. ok, that was a lie. i actually hate looking at myself on video. not because i have BDD (i think if you're ugly (like me) it doesn't coun't), but because i sound weird and i look depressed.
Hopefully Mr. Orange's boss didn't see him watching those videos you'd send to him at work.
In my video's, I'd try to keep a straight face. But I mumble a lot.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy246 View Post
Hopefully Mr. Orange's boss didn't see him watching those videos you'd send to him at work.
In my video's, I'd try to keep a straight face. But I mumble a lot.
Mr. Orange is my boy-toy, not my girlfriend, two different people. i actually do send him videos with my cell phone and he sends me videos with his faux hawk and blue shirt.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 05:12 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6 View Post
They enjoy it.
You would also enjoy seeing yourself on TV if:
* You had a professional crew picking out your wardrobe and making sure you look your best.
* Every tiny mistake you made was edited out.
* You were given positive affirmation for giving your uneducated opinion, sneezing, smiling, and farting.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page