Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Bad depersonalization/derealization...Uhy

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bellekelly 
#1 ·
Well recently, around christmas, me and my father were sick, after about 2 weeks i got better but he was still so i went in the bathroom to get a thermometer for him, as i was shaking it i hear it crack (Uh oh...). That was it. I immeidatly began panicking i looked down, saw the mercury and walked out the room and washed my arms and hands with soap and warm water. I told my parents (I was nervous as hell) and they thought i was overreacting, so we opened the windows in the room and shut the door. (I goggled what to do) after about 10 minutes (at MOST)we called poison control and followed their directions. I couldn't have ben in that room for more then 10 seconds throughout. After it was all cleaned (Or as much as they could see)the door was shut overnight with the window opened. I went to my sisters the next day and stayed over out of fear. Recently i have developed Depersonalization/derealization (I've ben battling severe anxiety/depression/Social anxiety for years) out of nowhere. THis was a bad time recently, ive ben havig alot of family issues, and now since this incident i dont feel like i dont know my family, yet i do. i feel so weird, my depth percepton feels off i seem to zoom in on objects. Everything seems so different and forgien, yet i still remember it all...yet i dont. Ive ben so confused and slow (ive ben like this for as long as i can remember, but its gotten worse i think) its so odd to describe. I dont rememebr if this came days before or days after the mercury incident. Uhy im such a mess.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, a few weeks ago I had an experience with depersonalization/derealization. I went to a basketball game and the stadium was just huge. It was like 3 stories high and I got lost looking for who I was with. I really started freaking out and became detached from my body and surroundings. You were saying something about depth perception, I had that too. Ugh, I'm getting confused just trying to describe it. That was definitely one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had. I understand you're feeling like that all the time and my experience was pretty brief but I've had an episode of what you're describing. Wow...just weird. :um

#3 ·
conanlover said:
Hey, a few weeks ago I had an experience with depersonalization/derealization. I went to a basketball game and the stadium was just huge. It was like 3 stories high and I got lost looking for who I was with. I really started freaking out and became detached from my body and surroundings. You were saying something about depth perception, I had that too. Ugh, I'm getting confused just trying to describe it. That was definitely one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had. I understand you're feeling like that all the time and my experience was pretty brief but I've had an episode of what you're describing. Wow...just weird. :um
Yea i get that too in places like costco and the malls and crowded areas.

#4 ·
86MonteSS said:
conanlover said:
Yea i get that too in places like costco and the malls and crowded areas.
I used to get that way in the mall too. I remember when I was younger maybe about age 11, I got so dizzy and confused at the mall that I had to lay down on the bench. Thought I was going crazy. But I don't get that anymore at the mall. :stu

#5 ·
:group
Our brains short-circuit as a defense mechanism. I too get spacey after being around people for long periods of times. It's not as bad as years before when I would have to stand in lines or be in crowded places like an airport or the college quad.

One funny example of a short circuit is when Lucinda Bassett(Panic To Power)
couldn't find her cookbook because she put it in the freezer. She was cooking for a dinnerparty and was so anxious her brain short circuited.

In a long ago typing class I took, I was so nervous, that I didn't know that I typed a full page without putting paper in the typewriter. When I turned away from my book, I was so embarressed that my classmate gave another classmate a funny look. I thought," Why couldn't they have told me I needed paper in my typewriter?"

#7 ·
Nah, we just care too much.
We have to find out what is triggering these thoughts, and what goes through our minds during these attacks.

Costco: OMG, what if they think I might pick my nose on camera? If I ask a clerk for help in the toilet paper section, will she think I have diarrhea? If I pick up a sweatshirt to look at the size, will they think I put it on and walked out of the store with it? What if I lose control, and "have to use the toilet paper" or clog up the restroom facility?

You have to look at each situation and determine (1) the validity and (2) likelihood of these things happening.

#8 ·
:lol: YES thats exactly how i get! This is why i dont try on clothing or use the dressing rooms in stores, because i think poeple will think im odd somehow :stu: . And sometimes i worry "Whats the cleark at the register going to think of me with the stuff im buying??!!?!" sometimes i wont by odd things (or things i precive to be odd) because i think that the cleark is going to laugh at me or something, meanwhile deep inside i KNOW that they dont care one bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.