SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy

Avoidant Personality Disorder

What is it like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:47 PM
SAS Member

Well, i'm not read up much, but I believe I may have it.

I am constantly fearing what people think of me; all I think about are my social interactions. Each occurrence is... intense, like someone slapping me and saying "you little idiot, you disgust me."

I haven't formed any tight friendships since I was like, 7 yrs old. I am now 19, and am a huge shut-in loner.

Rather be dead than cool.
-Kurt Cobain
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 08:12 AM
SAS Member

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/av...rder-symptoms/

I've had it for many years. It's been very isolating at times. I've cut classes numerous times, and always try to "strategize" my way out of social functions and parties, even put off going on internship interviews. I also believe it has limited my opportunities because I'm afraid to participate in them, (but that's also my fault because the effort has to come from me as well.)

It partially makes me saddened about what I have missed out on in my life so far, and nervous about what my future is going to be like. I'd think it depends on what the person will do to get better and how far they will stretch their comfort zone.

Will also need to work on not caring about what other people think. I've heard that it's very freeing.

The worst thing you can do to manage/control your social anxiety is doing nothing.

Permanent changes take consistency, persistence and repetition.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page