Atypical depression (possible cause of SA and Avoidance) - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
New mum to summer rose

Atypical depression (possible cause of SA and Avoidance)

Personally I am convinced i have this and have had it for years and years.
Whether bipolar or cyclocythmia is an issue with me or not I know my own mind and i am certain other peopel on this forum find Atypical depression the main cause of other issues in their lives such as Anxiety, social anxiety and OCD among the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki/Atypical_depression
In general, atypical depression tends to cause greater functional impairment than other forms of depression. Atypical depression is a chronic syndrome that tends to begin earlier in life than other forms of depression—usually beginning in teenage years. Similarly, patients with atypical depression are more likely to suffer from other psychiatric syndromes such as panic disorder, social phobia, avoidant personality disorder, or body dysmorphic disorder

Symptoms

The DSM-IV-TR defines Atypical Depression as a subtype of Major Depressive Disorder with Atypical Features, characterized by:
a) Mood reactivity (i.e., mood brightens in response to actual or potential positive events)
b) At least two of the following:
  • Significant weight gain or increase in appetite;
  • Hypersomnia (sleeping too much, as opposed to the insomnia present in melancholic depression);
  • Leaden paralysis (i.e., heavy, leaden feelings in arms or legs);
  • Long-standing pattern of interpersonal rejection sensitivity (not limited to episodes of mood disturbance) that results in significant social or occupational impairment.

What medications are typically useful in treating atypical depression?
So far I have been told that Effexor and the dreaded SSRIs can help and since i am not prone to anger/rage or seizures i am leaning toward bupropion as it has been FDA approved for specific types of depression mainly Atypical

Medications commonly used to treat severe Atypical depression

Paxil
Parnate
Wellbutrin
Effexor XR
Trazodone for leg, arm and paralysis/and restless leg syndrome

Thyroid glands and Atypical depression
It has been noted that patients with atypical depression often suffer from intense cravings for carbohydrates. It also was found to have an antidepressant effect on some atypical depression sufferers.
Some hypothesize that atypical depression may be related to thyroid dysregulation. Some studies have found subtle thyroid abnormalities in people with atypical depression. Another study suggests that patients may benefit from triiodothyronine, a medication used to treat hypothyroidism.

Which explains my hypothyroidism

So with all of these obvious patterns and symptoms plus terrible reactions to Melancholic depressive meds you would think the pdocs would have concluded i do in fact have Atypical depression.

What the hell is wrong with these so called professionals???

Atypical depression is the opposite of melancholic depression in which a person will suffer general low moods all of the time as opposed to brief periods of happiness.

More info

Atypical depression
Melancholic depression

Useful tips

Long- term use of certain medications, such as some drugs used to control high blood pressure, sleeping pills, occasionally, birth control pills.
A family history of depression.
Biological causes, such as hormones and different levels of neurotransmitters.
Pregnancy or stressful life events, such as the loss of a loved one or a job.
Chronic illness, such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer or alzheimer's disease.
Symptoms of Atypical depression

Some sign and symptom related to Atypical depression are as follows:
  1. Loss of interest in normal daily activities. YES
  2. Depressed mood. YES
  3. Fatigue or slowing of body movements. YES
  4. Less interest in sex. YES
  5. Increased appetite, often with cravings for sweets, chocolates or carbohydrates. YES
  6. Aches and pains.
  7. Appetite and weight changes. YES

Treatment of Atypical depression
The development of newer antidepressant medications and mood-stabilizing drugs has improved the treatment of depression. Medications can relieve symptoms of depression. Newer drugs such as Effexor, bupropion and certain MAOI medications have been proved useful in treating cases of Atypical depression however results may vary and side effects have been known to cause an increase in mania, hysteria and heightened depressive episodes.
Psychotherapy can also be useful in some cases. (I am getting CBT/DBT)
Electroconvulsive therapy remains one of the most effective yet most stigmatized treatments for depression. Eighty to ninety percent of people with severe depression improve dramatically with electroconvulsive therapy.
Exercise regularly.

Clinical features of melancholic and somatic depression
From http://www.depression-guide.com/melancholia.htm

Melancholic features (Dsm-IV)
  1. Loss of interest or pleasure in usual activities*
  2. Lack of reactivity to pleasurable stimuli*
  3. plus at least three of the following:
  4. Distinct quality of mood (unlike normal sadness)
  5. Morning worsening of mood*
  6. Early morning waking*
  7. Psychomotor agitation or retardation*
  8. Significant anorexia or weight loss*
  9. Excessive guilt
  10. Marked loss of libido*

Treatments used in Meloncholic depression

Conidine
Antidepressants to increase appetite and aide sedation such as
Imipramine
Nortrpytline
Amitriptyline
Seroquel XR (antipsychotic with antidepressant properties)
Mirtazapine (remeron)

People who suffer major depression and melancholic depression tend to
have:
Better response to somatic treatments e.g. TCA/tetracyclic antidepressant medication and ECT.
Poorer response to placebo drug treatment such as SSRI's/SNRIs

Anyone here fall into one of these categories?

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page