Asperger's Syndrome? - Page 7 - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 PM
I survived Smash Mouth
 
Spindrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male
Age: 30
Posts: 3,715
Your Aspie score: 67 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 135 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical

Bully for me.

Pretentious French proverb.
Spindrift is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:52 PM
SAS Member
 
Rossificus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenwyn View Post
I can't take the face recognition one (faceblind) because I was sheltered from the media... literally did not have a TV or radio in my house, never saw movies, never was allowed to listen to any music other than classical or hymns... so yeah I don't know culture!
That's a plus point in my opinion! I try and stay away from the media as much as possible because basically, It's evil.

Don't judge me because I'm a quiet person.
Nobody plans a murder out loud
Rossificus is offline  
post #123 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 AM
SAS Member
 
Condottieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 45
I feel like aspergers is such a loosely used term these days. It's like, "Oh he/she doesn't go to parties? Must be aspergers!" In all seriousness I've considered the possibility but since I was a very social child and didn't have much difficulty communicating with my peers (at that age) it's probably SA.
Condottieri is offline  
 
post #124 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Kon
SAS Member
 
Kon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottieri View Post
I feel like aspergers is such a loosely used term these days. It's like, "Oh he/she doesn't go to parties? Must be aspergers!" In all seriousness I've considered the possibility but since I was a very social child and didn't have much difficulty communicating with my peers (at that age) it's probably SA.

Couldn't the same thing be said of SAD? I mean many "normal" introverts hate social functions, etc. My most recent psychiatrist doesn't believe I have SAD. He thinks that real SAD is quite rare. I'm not sure I buy this view?
Kon is offline  
post #125 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,519
Your Aspie score: 149 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

MojoCrunch is offline  
post #126 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:18 PM
justagirl9
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Female
Age: 36
Posts: 131
150, 26. I don't have any health care & (of course) am uncomfortable & forget what to say when I see a doctor. So during the last week I've been trying to figure myself out. Maybe I think that if I write it down and then show it a MD they can pull it out of me. I always thought I was "normal" until I was teased in HS but I found something I wrote as a young child and then I started remembering all sorts of things. I think I might have Asperger's or something like it and because no one knew to do anything about it (and I got good grades in school) that everyone just kept pushing me for years to act right. I'm realizing that it's not just my fear, even when I'm almost comfortable around someone, my own family for instance, I have to be told how to treat them. Like when my sister would be upset about something she would have to say "(my name) come over and hug me" & then I would hug her awkwardly because it feels unnatural to me. Plus other things I've been reading, like the rocking stuff, that is so me. When I was young I didn't like to just sit around and figure out how to play, I was always constructing activities for myself and the other kids, I think that I thought this would give me some sort of control over the situation.
justagirl9 is offline  
post #127 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 PM
justagirl9
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Female
Age: 36
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastics View Post
What happens to me is that I can't estimate things. I'm really bad at directions, like I have no sense of where things are and where I'm at. I have trouble reading clocks. I can't estimate distance and height and stuff, but I mean I know if something is tall or small..but if someone asked me a number, I would have no clue. That might have to do with me just not being very smart at math or something, because I'm really bad at math in general and measuring. I also can't tell how much time has passed. I also talk to myself entirely to much, but I don't do it in public (at least I hope I never did).
I'm like this too. I've never really been able to read maps. When I go somewhere with someone I always keep an eye out for signs & stuff but I'm pretty sure that I couldn't find it myself. I always thought autistic people were great with numbers (which I suck at) though. I have to figure out how to get places by landmarks instead.
justagirl9 is offline  
post #128 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 AM
jaynex10
 
Godless1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,529

Your Aspie score: 144 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Detailed results suitable for printing (PDF) (The file is only retained for one hour. Download it if you want to keep it.)




Yup.

Godless1 is offline  
post #129 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:18 PM
MBTI: INFJ Enneagram:4w5
 
Revenwyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Gender: Female
Age: 37
Posts: 2,192
My Mood: Worried
Your Aspie score: 162 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie




w00t some progress.
Revenwyn is offline  
post #130 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM
User Requested Permanent Ban
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
Age: 34
Posts: 5,875
Your Aspie score: 109 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 96 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

shadowmask is offline  
post #131 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 PM
SAS Member
 
Condottieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon View Post
Couldn't the same thing be said of SAD? I mean many "normal" introverts hate social functions, etc. My most recent psychiatrist doesn't believe I have SAD. He thinks that real SAD is quite rare. I'm not sure I buy this view?
Probably so, I'm your typical armchair psychologist so what I say doesn't hold much value.

A lot of mental problems tend to have overlapping symptoms making the actual diagnosis difficult. Distinguishing between someone who has SAD and someone who is introverted is probably more a matter of choice than feeling for the individual. Someone introverted chooses not to go out, and might feel slightly uncomfortable when they are out as a result. Whereas someone with SAD would like to go out but feels mentally incapable or functionally impaired when they are out.

He also had a condition that was referred to as "granulated eyelids" and it caused him to blink more than usual as if he found creation slightly more than he could accept. ~ The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.
Condottieri is offline  
post #132 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
I am on Paxil right now and have been for the past... two months. I have not seen any changes. I'm still excruiatingly awkward around people. My problem is that I dislike people, and this makes me sort of aloof and awkward in social situations. When I do try to be social, it's not that I'm shy, but rather I find people confusing, and go along with the flow regardless, but end up in situations I would rather not be in. For this reason I occasionally isolate myself. I don't think I have social anxiety to be honest! I honestly don't feel shy, per se, but rather, I just extremely dislike people. As I said when I try to be social, I can get around it, but at the cost of who I am, because I just don't know how to be myself and be social at the same time. I often feel fake while socializing..... not just "shy"... I honestly think I have AS. Do you guys feel really shy and stuff?
zarathustraisalive is offline  
post #133 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasthasiya View Post
My score on AQ Test is 42, and on Aspie Test I performed:
Your Aspie score: 168 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 34 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

I am always pretty high on these tests. I have a diagnosis of Asperger's tho.
The difference between social phobia and AS, since I have experience with both, is that when you have only Social Phobia, you think you can't communicate out of fear, you fear situations, you are seen as having low social skills because of the anxiety. You then are able to communicate, can understand body language, voice tone, subtle communication cues, but are unable to respond because of fear or make mistake then.

When you have Asperger's it is different. Then it is like you don't have the skills needed from when really young, but do not fear the communication. Just can't respond because you do not understand it and basically don't know how to respond even when you're trying to learn it so hard. Get it?

Indeed people can have both, like I do, and in me it is reason the bullying, criticizing and judgments placed on me because of the low social skills I have because I have Asperger's. I also didn't fear situations when really young, until some later grade of primary, but I never could really make friends, nor was I interested to. In first grades I wasn't, I was like in my own world, but later I wanted, but couldn't. And later I began to fear the communication because it didn't 'click' in my head on how to do it.
When you don't know the thing, you come to fear it after time, especially if everyone is telling you there's something wrong with you because you can't.

When there's only SP with no AS, it is not like that. You know how to communicate, but fear it because of bullying or any other reason. Or you can be shy and can then fear it as well. Also lack of experience etc. But not as with AS.

AS itself does not include just communication and socializing. It includes also the need for order, inflexibility, repetitiveness, sensory sensitivity, literal thinking, trouble understanding non-verbal communication...
I have these, this is not an easy life, I am mild to moderate on AS spectrum. And I know what AS means really well. Actually I hate what's going on with all the self-diagnosis and all, because it is a serious thing, at least for me. Because I know what I am going through. And have a professional diagnosis, also been told by some other people who work with me or know me well.
It is a thing that is seen, not so hidden. If you want, you will clearly see. Even in person that doesn't have a diagnosis. He might just seem weird, creepy, but you'll know something is definitely going on by the weird and troubled behavior.

If you think you have Asperger's, go see a professional and talk about that matter.
And people, don't try to diagnose yourself by self-tests, you could likely be wrong. Better to learn about what the thing really is (not just the criteria) and try to talk to someone familiar with it about that, the best it would be if an autism spectrum specialist, because they pick it up almost immediately when they see you perform and talk with you even a bit, and are most times accurate.

Anyway, why is here aon the nets a whole so much confusion going on about these kind of disorders, or how else you'd like to call them, like AvPD, AS, being an introvert, shyness, social phobia... because if you look at it as a whole, you see that all of these are quite different things, although some symptoms may overlap.
I could also find myself in a whole bunch of different disorders, but... when you then look closer, you just come to say 'ehh, that's not me at all', because the whole picture of the disorder does not apply to you at all, but you could match the whole criteria, just for a bit different reason or because some symptom written can have double meaning, and you likely saw it just from your own view and no what's the real reason for or if it is not just similar thing to what you have or you didn't know anything about how it is to have the disorder, development and all.

So you are saying if someone has Asperger's, you could instantly tell that they have it by their "weird behaviours"?? (I don't mean to say they're weird, just lack of words!) or um.. out of the ordinary... way of being? My cousin has it, and I really never thought there was anything "weird" about him growing up, he has always been my friend. But everyone else seemed to think he was "odd". And I didn't understand why. The only thing I noticed was he used to tip toe while he was walking lol.
zarathustraisalive is offline  
post #134 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Dragonic Archon
 
Zyriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Crimson Lair
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,575
I didn't get diagnosed with it till I was 19 after many mis-diagnosis', many meds, and being sent to a mental institution. I wish I was diagnosed as a child though. It is so much easier to be taught how to interact and learn social cues when you're young. I developed major depression and social anxiety as secondary conditions over the years. Good movies about people with AS are Adam and Mozart and the Whale.

That is a short documentary of what it is like for someone with AS to try and cope with ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_PBVxGEEY4 - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UviCf...eature=related - Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boEuF...eature=related - Part 3

Love or hate me as you will, but live now and in your final breath. In time we shall meet again.
Zyriel is offline  
post #135 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 PM
We Found Love
 
Fantas Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ♥Your Arms♥
Gender: Female
Age: 29
Posts: 4,685
Your Aspie score: 48 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 157 of 200
You are very likely neurotypical


"This is what's wrong with the world. Everything is explained now. We live in an age when you say casually to somebody 'What's the story on that?' and they can run to the computer and tell you within five seconds. That's fine, but sometimes I'd just as soon continue wondering. We have a deficit of wonder right now."
-Tom Waits

Fantas Eyes is offline  
post #136 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 PM
SAS Member
 
ReincarnatedRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Gender: Female
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastics View Post
It told me that I had both AS and neurotypical attributes. Which I would agree with, I forget what the real diagnosis is for AS. However, I know that any of the sensation ones, I should have been normal on, because I don't think I have abnormal sensations to things, like sounds don't bother me. I don't really have an obsession either. I have no trouble with eye contact even in the most anxiety ridden situations.

What happens to me is that I can't estimate things. I'm really bad at directions, like I have no sense of where things are and where I'm at. I have trouble reading clocks. I can't estimate distance and height and stuff, but I mean I know if something is tall or small..but if someone asked me a number, I would have no clue. That might have to do with me just not being very smart at math or something, because I'm really bad at math in general and measuring. I also can't tell how much time has passed. I also talk to myself entirely to much, but I don't do it in public (at least I hope I never did).
I don't find that survey reliable for people who have SA. Many of the Aspergers behavior traits can manifest themselves in people who suffer from SA because when they are overcome by anxiety they become socially stunted. Not to mention that a lot of the behaviors listed can also be present in many "normal" non-Aspergers (and non-SA) people for a variety of reasons, none of which have to do with any kind of condition or disorder.

Aspergers and Social Anxiety are two vastly different conditions. Perhaps a very small minority of SA sufferers may have that, but the vast majority will not, and if anyone has serious questions about this condition when they look at the conditions logically (and do some online research), then they need to go to a doctor and get a proper diagnosis because using a survey like this can be very misleading.


“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
"I have something more important than courage. I have patience. I will become what I know I am."
"The temptation to quit is greatest when you are about to succeed."
"Don't Give Up..."

ReincarnatedRose is offline  
post #137 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:46 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Female
Age: 33
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSage View Post
Just took the quiz - got 134 out of 200. It says: "You are very likely an Aspie." Oh, well...
I have many autistics in my immediate and extended fam, so I think I may be mildly autistic.

I just got a 186 out of 200. That was informative. lol


TeddieAnn is offline  
post #138 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Spectacular Member
 
Noca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ontario
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 20,955
Your Aspie score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 48 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie




"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
Noca is offline  
post #139 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:57 AM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Heaven
Posts: 4,601
I know the difference between having mild autism and not having autism. I can switch between autism and non-autism. Social interaction feels so natural and easy without it.
jimity is offline  
post #140 of 173 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:06 AM
SAS Member
 
EnchantingGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England
Gender: Female
Posts: 226
I was just wondering this! I'd never even heard of AS until about a year and a half ago. I started to intensely research it because I'm interested in social disorders and how they work, since I obviously have one myself. But the more and more I found out about AS the more and more I start to believe there's a possibility I could even have it.
EnchantingGhost is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
asperger's syndrome? inn3rlogic69 Secondary Disorders 4 02-05-2008 12:11 PM
NVLD & Asperger's Syndrome Mazy Secondary Disorders 8 05-11-2007 12:17 AM
I think I have Asperger's Syndrome... bartman101 Secondary Disorders 1 03-05-2007 07:18 PM
Asperger's Syndrome could be the CAUSE of Social Anxiety DAODOA Coping With Social Anxiety 8 02-09-2007 07:06 PM
Asperger's Syndrome Darrin Secondary Disorders 6 05-30-2006 06:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome