Are you autistic? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 05:03 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by springseternal View Post
Same. would you ever seek a diagnosis?
I feel like I'm on the bubble of having Asperger's. Would've been helpful to have been diagnosed & worked with a psychologist in middle / high school / college, even younger, but at this point in my life, I don't think it would make a difference.

The world is quiet here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
I feel like I'm on the bubble of having Asperger's. Would've been helpful to have been diagnosed & worked with a psychologist in middle / high school / college, even younger, but at this point in my life, I don't think it would make a difference.
Wouldn't you like to know for sure?

Show this to everyone who does not understand social anxiety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KDiUq9AdM&t=219s
_
Youtube poops are the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnbU...3r3m3xw03c010c
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 12:52 PM
AtheistInSearchOfPawgs

Quote:
Same. would you ever seek a diagnosis?
if theres money involved, yes

if not, whats the point?

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-18-2020, 03:59 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Wouldn't you like to know for sure?
Not right now. Right now it's not really affecting me.

The world is quiet here.
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Not right now. Right now it's not really affecting me.
fair enough

Show this to everyone who does not understand social anxiety
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KDiUq9AdM&t=219s
_
Youtube poops are the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnbU...3r3m3xw03c010c
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 04:56 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Cool

as & urious

world too sloooww for me

incapable of human interaction to be humble about. precious roots in it

educational era was normal. later, all people seem zombies..
quote:

1. in her haste she was clumsy: awkward, uncoordinated, ungainly, graceless, ungraceful, inelegant, gawky, gauche, gangling, cloddish, blundering, lumbering; bungling, bumbling, fumbling, inept, maladroit, unskilful, inexpert, unhandy, accident-prone, like a bull in a china shop, all fingers and thumbs; informal cack-handed, ham-fisted, ham-handed, butterfingered, with two left feet, hulking; N. Amer. informal klutzy. ANTONYMS graceful.

2. a clumsy contraption: unwieldy, unmanageable, cumbersome, bulky, hulking, heavy, solid, awkward, unmanoeuvrable. ANTONYMS elegant.

3. he said a clumsy farewell: gauche, awkward, graceless, unpolished, unsubtle, crude, uncouth, boorish, crass; tactless, insensitive, thoughtless, inconsiderate, undiplomatic, indelicate, impolitic, injudicious, ill-judged
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 04:12 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy666 View Post
world too sloooww for me

incapable of human interaction to be humble about. precious roots in it

educational era was normal. later, all people seem zombies..
quote:

1. in her haste she was clumsy: awkward, uncoordinated, ungainly, graceless, ungraceful, inelegant, gawky, gauche, gangling, cloddish, blundering, lumbering; bungling, bumbling, fumbling, inept, maladroit, unskilful, inexpert, unhandy, accident-prone, like a bull in a china shop, all fingers and thumbs; informal cack-handed, ham-fisted, ham-handed, butterfingered, with two left feet, hulking; N. Amer. informal klutzy. ANTONYMS graceful.

2. a clumsy contraption: unwieldy, unmanageable, cumbersome, bulky, hulking, heavy, solid, awkward, unmanoeuvrable. ANTONYMS elegant.

3. he said a clumsy farewell: gauche, awkward, graceless, unpolished, unsubtle, crude, uncouth, boorish, crass; tactless, insensitive, thoughtless, inconsiderate, undiplomatic, indelicate, impolitic, injudicious, ill-judged
Yep, clumsiness is the worst. It's like you can't even walk like a normal human being sometimes!

The world is quiet here.
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 04:14 PM
SAS Member

I was watching videos on YouTube of people diagnosed as 'high functioning Aspies/Autistics' & I seem to be more 'normal' than them. But it's hard to say, because when I am in social situations, my mind can shut down.

The world is quiet here.
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 05:18 PM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Pensive
My doctor says I don't have it so I trust his judgement.
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-11-2020, 07:23 PM
SAS Member

I was diagnosed with Autism, but I never really believed I had it.
Im completely normal when Im with my family and with those Im familiar with. Its only when Im with other people that I start to have problems.
I think Im just shy, and I feel wrong for being diagnosed when I dont believe Im truly autistic.
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 07:53 AM
'functioning' psycho

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
I was watching videos on YouTube of people diagnosed as 'high functioning Aspies/Autistics' & I seem to be more 'normal' than them. But it's hard to say, because when I am in social situations, my mind can shut down.
I think people with more obvious symptoms are more likely to get diagnosed early, like a couple of people in this video it's not immediately obvious:

I like this comment lol:

Quote:
"What's your special ability?"
Dude, I'm autistic... not an X-Man.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 02:24 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I think people with more obvious symptoms are more likely to get diagnosed early, like a couple of people in this video it's not immediately obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d69tTXOvRq4

I like this comment lol:
I was really weird growing up. I probably could've got diagnosed with it early, but it didn't seem to be understood as much then.

When I was little, my neighbors parents insisted to my parents that they take me to a psychologist. They got in a big fight over it & we ended up moving because of it.

Looking back, my neighbors were probably right, but the way they handled it was very poor (they basically told my parents I was weird, strange, why wasn't I like their kids, etc.) & that offended my parents.

In the end I turned out okay, but my parents & neighbors parents both wrongly handled the situation.

Nowadays, I'm fairly normal. I still have my quirks, & I still struggle communicating w/ people I'm not as familiar w/, but it makes me wonder if I have Aspergers/high-functioning-autism, or if it's because of my SAD history, or what.

The world is quiet here.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 03:17 PM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:
I was really weird growing up. I probably could've got diagnosed with it early, but it didn't seem to be understood as much then.

When I was little, my neighbors parents insisted to my parents that they take me to a psychologist. They got in a big fight over it & we ended up moving because of it.

Looking back, my neighbors were probably right, but the way they handled it was very poor (they basically told my parents I was weird, strange, why wasn't I like their kids, etc.) & that offended my parents.

In the end I turned out okay, but my parents & neighbors parents both wrongly handled the situation.

Nowadays, I'm fairly normal. I still have my quirks, & I still struggle communicating w/ people I'm not as familiar w/, but it makes me wonder if I have Aspergers/high-functioning-autism, or if it's because of my SAD history, or what.
Yeah I don't think people understood much then, I was sort of diagnosed with selective mutism as a young child but I didn't get any treatment, and wasn't even technically diagnosed it was mentioned on my brother's report during a time where he was being examined as well (and eventually diagnosed with dyslexia.) Nobody in my family really took that seriously or helped much with any of the problems I had (not just my personal issues but abuse from others.) As a child I was pretty loud and energetic outside school or certain environments so they wouldn't have noticed as much and I guess they were too distracted/had their own **** to deal with when I was a teenager. My brother got a bit more support from my mum because he had a diagnoses and the school were involved because he had a learning disability, and also because he caused more issues like in school. At one point my nan recommended ritalin for my brother lol... My mum was against that though.

I think there's a bit more awareness now but I'm sure it could still be better.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings

post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 03:32 PM
SAS Member

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d69tTXOvRq4

I like this comment lol:
Those people must be high-functioning. On the surface, they don't seem autistic.

Here's a scary thought- I might have it worse then them. But it's hard to say. I don't know anything about them.

I liked the comment:
"People say autistics don't feel empathy."
"Oh **** off!"

That made me LOL!

The world is quiet here.
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 03:40 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Yeah I don't think people understood much then, I was sort of diagnosed with selective mutism as a young child but I didn't get any treatment, and wasn't even technically diagnosed it was mentioned on my brother's report during a time where he was being examined as well (and eventually diagnosed with dyslexia.) Nobody in my family really took that seriously or helped much with any of the problems I had (not just my personal issues but abuse from others.) As a child I was pretty loud and energetic outside school or certain environments so they wouldn't have noticed as much and I guess they were too distracted/had their own **** to deal with when I was a teenager. My brother got a bit more support from my mum because he had a diagnoses and the school were involved because he had a learning disability, and also because he caused more issues like in school. At one point my nan recommended ritalin for my brother lol... My mum was against that though.

I think there's a bit more awareness now but I'm sure it could still be better.
Now you got me curious about selective mutism. Do you still have it?

The world is quiet here.
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 04:30 PM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:
Now you got me curious about selective mutism. Do you still have it?
No, it's really a childhood disorder and rare in adults. As an adult I was referred to therapy for 'social phobia.' I mentioned earlier in the thread I also think I have undiagnosed schizoid PD and possibly autism.

It's associated with auditory processing abnormalities, but so is autism which makes that hard to distinguish too (they are misdiagnosed sometimes,) since I definitely have sensory processing abnormalities. (I also have a vague memory of having hearing tests as a young child in school.)

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings

post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 04:58 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
No, it's really a childhood disorder and rare in adults. As an adult I was referred to therapy for 'social phobia.' I mentioned earlier in the thread I also think I have undiagnosed schizoid PD and possibly autism.

It's associated with auditory processing abnormalities, but so is autism which makes that hard to distinguish too (they are misdiagnosed sometimes,) since I definitely have sensory processing abnormalities. (I also have a vague memory of having hearing tests as a young child in school.)
I wonder why it's a child disorder, if the part of the brain that controls that just isn't fully developed yet?

I feel like schizoid would be scary!

In elementary school I remember failing the hearing test, but I passed it on re-test.
I think I'm pretty good at hearing, but I feel like people mumble a lot, like they don't say things clearly, not a volume thing, but a comprehension thing on my end. This means I have to guess what people say (which can make things awkward) or ask them to repeat it (which can also be awkward).
I can have a hard time understanding movies & tv shows, & that's one of the reasons.

The world is quiet here.
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 05:03 PM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:
I wonder why it's a child disorder, if the part of the brain that controls that just isn't fully developed yet?

I feel like schizoid would be scary!
It's actually the most boring disorder of all time, although I do have some traits that probably fall into the schizotypal part of the spectrum too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizo...ality_disorder

(I've read texts/paper on it and it gives a more detailed view of it than that wikipedia page but nobody has time for that lol.)

Also I think it's just that most grow out of it and get regular social anxiety disorder with age/experience.

Quote:
In elementary school I remember failing the hearing test, but I passed it on re-test.
I think I'm pretty good at hearing, but I feel like people mumble a lot, like they don't say things clearly, not a volume thing, but a comprehension thing on my end. This means I have to guess what people say (which can make things awkward) or ask them to repeat it (which can also be awkward).
I can have a hard time understanding movies & tv shows, & that's one of the reasons.
I think I did OK with that test, since the problem is processing related and not my actual ability to hear and yeah I have that problem too with TV shows if I'm not really focused or if I'm eating at the same time I'll often have to go back and re-listen. Sometimes I turn on subtitles.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings

post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-12-2020, 05:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
It's actually the most boring disorder of all time, although I do have some traits that probably fall into the schizotypal part of the spectrum too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizo...ality_disorder

(I've read texts/paper on it and it gives a more detailed view of it than that wikipedia page but nobody has time for that lol.)

Also I think it's just that most grow out of it and get regular social anxiety disorder with age/experience.

I think I did OK with that test, since the problem is processing related and not my actual ability to hear and yeah I have that problem too with TV shows if I'm not really focused or if I'm eating at the same time I'll often have to go back and re-listen. Sometimes I turn on subtitles.
Oh! I didn't realize Schizoid Personality Disorder is different from schizophrenia. Weird........it seems like autism/Aspergers or Avoidant Personality Disorder.

My problem is I can not understand even when I am focused.

The world is quiet here.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 01:12 AM
'functioning' psycho

Quote:
Oh! I didn't realize Schizoid Personality Disorder is different from schizophrenia. Weird........it seems like autism/Aspergers or Avoidant Personality Disorder.

My problem is I can not understand even when I am focused.
avoidant personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder, schizotypal personality disorder and schizophrenia have genetic similarities and often run in the same families. Also the first three were initially conceived as one disorder with variable symptoms.

Some have suggested that schizoid is basically the 'negative symptoms' of schizophrenia as well. But I think it's basically related to dismissive-avoidant attachment styles.

The main difference between avoidant and schizoid disorder is that avoidants usually have much lower self esteem and that's their reason for avoidance. Avoidant's desire for contact with others isn't reduced either and they tend to be more likely to get stuck in bad relationships etc. Schizoids tend to avoid people due to a combination of apathy and fear of losing autonomy because of a master/slave view of relationships and drop them quickly for the same reason, that leads to the schizoid dilemma/splitting.

http://www.contemporarypsychotherapy...id-image-2.png

Guess this describes the differences between schizoid and autism:

Quote:
There may be substantial difficulty in distinguishing Asperger syndrome (AS), sometimes called "schizoid disorder of childhood", from SPD. But while AS is an autism spectrum disorder, SPD is classified as a "schizophrenia-like" personality disorder. There is some overlap, as some people with autism also qualify for a diagnosis of schizotypal or schizoid PD. However, one of the distinguishing features of schizoid PD is a restricted affect and an impaired capacity for emotional experience and expression. Persons with AS are "hypo-mentalizers", i.e., they fail to recognize social cues such as verbal hints, body language and gesticulation, but those with schizophrenia-like personality disorders tend to be "hyper-mentalizers", overinterpreting such cues in a generally suspicious way (see Imprinted brain theory). Although they may have been socially isolated from childhood onward, most people with schizoid personality disorder displayed well-adapted social behavior as children, along with apparently normal emotional function. SPD also does not require impairments in nonverbal communication such as a lack of eye contact, unusual prosody or a pattern of restricted interests or repetitive behaviors.[56]
I think it's where the robotic autistic stereotype comes from tbh since most autistic people are very warm/friendly.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
Too near bitter end

Guardian angel sings