Anyone here suffer from Schizophrenia as well? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have Schizophrenia?
Yes, I have both SA and Schizophrenia. 4 44.44%
No, I don't have Schizophrenia. 5 55.56%
I think it's possible I have Schizophrenia but I havent been diagnosed yet. 0 0%
I want Schizophrenia. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anyone here suffer from Schizophrenia as well?

Hi all,
So I wish I was the same as I was before 2015 and back then I just had SA and that was it. Since then, I have been suffering from Schizophrenia and if you google search it, it sounds complex but really the only thing that bothers me is some paranoia here and there and once in awhile it sounds like someones calling my name, which i can easily identify and ignore. Does anyone else here have Schizophrenia as well?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 07:45 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
hello @CaptainPeanuts , have you taken street drugs in the past? is that the possibility of why you developed schizophrenia? I feel I have schizophrenia but I do not see or hear things, it was from a situation that caused me a lot of stress/anxiety. Other than that, there is no one diagnosis that leads me to think I have schizophrenia other than the amount of anxiety I have had in the past and I currently after taking a natural medicine I got OCD with #'s related to bad things and events but I don't know if it's the dose of the medicine or I developed it myself now so that's what I'm going through, going through this suffering, wish you well and "hugs"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
hello @CaptainPeanuts , have you taken street drugs in the past? is that the possibility of why you developed schizophrenia? I feel I have schizophrenia but I do not see or hear things, it was from a situation that caused me a lot of stress/anxiety. Other than that, there is no one diagnosis that leads me to think I have schizophrenia other than the amount of anxiety I have had in the past and I currently after taking a natural medicine I got OCD with #'s related to bad things and events but I don't know if it's the dose of the medicine or I developed it myself now so that's what I'm going through, going through this suffering, wish you well and "hugs"
Never taken street drugs. My schizophrenia was caused, possibly by lack of sleep, stress, and thats about it I guess. But once I admitted that I had it and wanted medication, they made me sign some paperwork and ever since I have been stuck on this antipsychotic medication, and am forced to take an injection once a month. It sucks. *hugs back*. Thanks.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 07:55 PM
SAS Member

Ok, I see, you should be allowed to get off the anti-psychotic medication based on if you feel you need it anymore or not but if you've developed schizophrenia, you shouldn't feel less, you're still an important individual, everyone has issues one way or another but you should try your best to get better
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Ok, I see, you should be allowed to get off the anti-psychotic medication based on if you feel you need it anymore or not but if you've developed schizophrenia, you shouldn't feel less but you should try your best to get better
Some people believe thats the "way it should be" but, I think people should have rights in deciding on what medication they take. Anyways, dont want to get into that too much. For example, I'd like to take Seroquel on a low dose by the pill, but my doctor wont let me because if I go on pills I can easily stop taking them on my own if I wanted to. They have to keep me on the injection because they have more control over me that way.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 11:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPeanuts View Post
Some people believe thats the "way it should be" but, I think people should have rights in deciding on what medication they take. Anyways, dont want to get into that too much. For example, I'd like to take Seroquel on a low dose by the pill, but my doctor wont let me because if I go on pills I can easily stop taking them on my own if I wanted to. They have to keep me on the injection because they have more control over me that way.
That's not right in my opinion, they're treating you like you're in a mental institution and that you don't have the ability to choose and communicate how you're feeling to your doctor. I heard Seroquel you got lots of weight with an emphasis but then someone in a group I went to said she's on Seroquel but she didn't gain any weight but I don't know if she's telling the truth and she's only 1 person. low dose you can try for a while to watch your weight gain if you're allowed and try to fight for your rights, they're taking advantage of your rights unless they have a good reason
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2021, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
That's not right in my opinion, they're treating you like you're in a mental institution and that you don't have the ability to choose and communicate how you're feeling to your doctor. I heard Seroquel you got lots of weight with an emphasis but then someone in a group I went to said she's on Seroquel but she didn't gain any weight but I don't know if she's telling the truth and she's only 1 person. low dose you can try for a while to watch your weight gain if you're allowed and try to fight for your rights, they're taking advantage of your rights unless they have a good reason
I know and agree its really phucked up that this is a reality in Canada (one specific province). How you explained is almost exactly how I feel. But I don't want to leave the province to evade the lays. I have an appointment with authorities for a review board panel, This is where they decide if I need to be on a forced medication or not. Thats my only option right now so, I am taking it.

Seroquel can cause weight gain, but I only take it "as needed" for sleep and stuff. Though I'd like to take it everyday on a low dose... we'll see what happens. Anyways, will update this post after the review board thingy happens.

Thanks lily for your kind words and support.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 01:03 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
I know and agree its really phucked up that this is a reality in Canada (one specific province). How you explained is almost exactly how I feel. But I don't want to leave the province to evade the lays. I have an appointment with authorities for a review board panel, This is where they decide if I need to be on a forced medication or not. Thats my only option right now so, I am taking it.

Seroquel can cause weight gain, but I only take it "as needed" for sleep and stuff. Though I'd like to take it everyday on a low dose... we'll see what happens. Anyways, will update this post after the review board thingy happens.

Thanks lily for your kind words and support.
That's great that you have an appointment with the review board panel, whatever that is exactly, I get the idea though, it's great that you're taking that option. Ok and you're welcome, thanks for your support too. Oh and I'm a Christian so I try to ignore 'f' word, I'd choose the word 'screwed up' or something else, not a meaningless word that people use out of something learned
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 01:18 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
I don't think I have schizophrenia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Quote
Schizophrenia runs in my family (I have two brothers and an aunt with it) but I don't have it. I've had some very bad reactions to weed so I avoid it like the plague. Pretty sure I'd get schizophrenia if I used it. Forced medication sucks. My brother has to stay on his meds, my other brother doesn't but his is fairly mild. My aunt is completely delusional but refuses to see a doctor so no one can get her on meds.

I sometimes have some sort of strange ideas about reality, but I think that's my OCD, which can lead to poor insight/delusions. Ordinarily I don't believe in alien abductions (for example), but when my OCD is acting up I do. Or sometimes it's ghosts, or that I have cancer, or that I can control things with my mind, or occasionally other things. It's weird because afterwards I'm always like, "Geez, what was I thinking?" lol. But at the time I'm having those episodes they can be really convincing and scary.

I don't hallucinate (hear voices) and I don't think people can read my thoughts and I'm not really paranoid (I have a sister with PTSD who is, so I know what that's like), so I don't think it's schizophrenia.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 03:47 AM
SAS Member

Can't say I suffer from schizophrenia. I do, however, am certain I suffer from SA and ASD (Autism). Sure it's not the same thing but everyone's suffering differently.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 08:05 PM
SAS Member

I see I am the only one who voted. I have Schizophrenia and Social Phobia. It's more like social stress and paranoia. I also get delusional from time to time. I have been diagnosed with both since 2015, but have had the Schizophrenia and Social Anxiety long before that. I have been officially and consistently diagnosed since 2015. Before that I had, and was officially diagnosed with, Disorganized Schizophrenia for eight years, and then it changed to Paranoid Schizophrenia in 2015. I have had Social Anxiety ever since the eighth grade. Before that year I was just super shy and quiet. In elementary school I was also shy and quiet, but not as much as I was in middle school; and then it just got worse from there.

"Man is what he believes."

-Anton Chekhov

Jesus Christ is King.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2021, 11:12 AM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I don't think so (I do have some weird symptoms at times though.) I have a cousin with it probably a serious case too because while having a psychotic episode he almost stabbed his sister or something, but I don't really know him.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had some related disorder undiagnosed though, I think even AvPD has ties to that spectrum but I think schizophrenia has to be pretty severe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2021, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savavdpeas View Post
I see I am the only one who voted. I have Schizophrenia and Social Phobia. It's more like social stress and paranoia. I also get delusional from time to time. I have been diagnosed with both since 2015, but have had the Schizophrenia and Social Anxiety long before that. I have been officially and consistently diagnosed since 2015. Before that I had, and was officially diagnosed with, Disorganized Schizophrenia for eight years, and then it changed to Paranoid Schizophrenia in 2015. I have had Social Anxiety ever since the eighth grade. Before that year I was just super shy and quiet. In elementary school I was also shy and quiet, but not as much as I was in middle school; and then it just got worse from there.
It was around 2015 when I was diagnosed with schizophrenia. But only "Schizophrenia". I think the US has better doctors than Canada, but it costs money down there and its free up here for mental health support.

Anyways I also have some kind of "disorganized" feeling with my schizophrenia, maybe thats what it is. Anyways, thanks for sharing. We got a lot in common.

Quote:
That's great that you have an appointment with the review board panel, whatever that is exactly, I get the idea though, it's great that you're taking that option. Ok and you're welcome, thanks for your support too. Oh and I'm a Christian so I try to ignore 'f' word, I'd choose the word 'screwed up' or something else, not a meaningless word that people use out of something learned
Sorry i swore lol.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 02:49 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
I think the US has better doctors than Canada, but it costs money down there and its free up here for mental health support.
I'm gonna have to correct you here. Don't want people getting the wrong impression of Glorious Canuckistan.

Not all mental health support is free here. Crisis lines are free. And you can go into the ER/GP and they'll refer you to a psychiatrist and the doctor will write you a prescription, but you still have to pay for the meds. What you get free here is an evaluation and a signature on a prescription. (And maybe a bed in a ward if you're really bad off.) Even if I wanted meds, I couldn't afford to take them.

I had a lot of trouble getting psych support, personally. (I'm sure it would have been easy if I were having a psychotic episode, though. The police will come right to your door in that case.) It took me 3 years to get a family doctor and the walk-in clinics refuse to treat mental health disorders. The clinic wouldn't even refer me to a psychiatrist. They couldn't even tell me where to go for support. They literally had no answer for me.

I could have gone to the ER, but considering my OCD is triggered by places like that, it wasn't something I wanted to do. I had to call multiple support lines before I finally found out about a mental health walk-in clinic here (which only takes walk-ins one day a week). I went there and had to pay for a consultation (which was scary enough). Fortunately, they knocked the price from $130 to $15 because I'm borderline homeless.

Also very fortunately for me, my therapist has a handful of "free" slots available, and when she heard about my situation she opted to use one to give me pro bono therapy. But if I hadn't lucked out, I'd be paying for every session. (And if I were taking drugs, I'd be paying for meds on top of that.) Most people would have to pay full price for a therapist, which is around $130-150 an hour here. So if you need more than a doctor to write prescriptions (which is not going to solve most problems) you could be looking at hundreds of dollars a month for therapy in Canada. (It's probably comparable in the States.) That's not free. Ofc, some people have health insurance and can get some of these costs covered, but health insurance is extremely expensive and I can't afford it. If you're paying for health insurance, you're not getting free healthcare.

Sorry for the rant, I just get a little annoyed when people think that Canada has "free healthcare." It's not free for a lot of people. I can't afford most of the healthcare I need (dental, optometry, dermatology, prescription drugs, hormones, therapy) and there are tens of thousands of other Canadians who can't afford that stuff, either. Free visits to the hospital and free GP visits are nice, though. I won't argue there.

Edit: It's also extremely hard to get disability for mental health issues here. I get the impression that it's actually easier in at least some of the states. It's not possible to get disability for something like anxiety, depression, PTSD, OCD, or many other disorders here. You need, at minimum, a history of psychotic episodes. And you have to be considered incapable of taking care of yourself. There are more enlightened places in the world that will give disability even for something like social anxiety.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 04:59 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I'm gonna have to correct you here. Don't want people getting the wrong impression of Glorious Canuckistan.

Not all mental health support is free here. Crisis lines are free. And you can go into the ER/GP and they'll refer you to a psychiatrist and the doctor will write you a prescription, but you still have to pay for the meds. What you get free here is an evaluation and a signature on a prescription. (And maybe a bed in a ward if you're really bad off.) Even if I wanted meds, I couldn't afford to take them.

I had a lot of trouble getting psych support, personally. (I'm sure it would have been easy if I were having a psychotic episode, though. The police will come right to your door in that case.) It took me 3 years to get a family doctor and the walk-in clinics refuse to treat mental health disorders. The clinic wouldn't even refer me to a psychiatrist. They couldn't even tell me where to go for support. They literally had no answer for me.

I could have gone to the ER, but considering my OCD is triggered by places like that, it wasn't something I wanted to do. I had to call multiple support lines before I finally found out about a mental health walk-in clinic here (which only takes walk-ins one day a week). I went there and had to pay for a consultation (which was scary enough). Fortunately, they knocked the price from $130 to $15 because I'm borderline homeless.

Also very fortunately for me, my therapist has a handful of "free" slots available, and when she heard about my situation she opted to use one to give me pro bono therapy. But if I hadn't lucked out, I'd be paying for every session. (And if I were taking drugs, I'd be paying for meds on top of that.) Most people would have to pay full price for a therapist, which is around $130-150 an hour here. So if you need more than a doctor to write prescriptions (which is not going to solve most problems) you could be looking at hundreds of dollars a month for therapy in Canada. (It's probably comparable in the States.) That's not free. Ofc, some people have health insurance and can get some of these costs covered, but health insurance is extremely expensive and I can't afford it. If you're paying for health insurance, you're not getting free healthcare.

Sorry for the rant, I just get a little annoyed when people think that Canada has "free healthcare." It's not free for a lot of people. I can't afford most of the healthcare I need (dental, optometry, dermatology, prescription drugs, hormones, therapy) and there are tens of thousands of other Canadians who can't afford that stuff, either. Free visits to the hospital and free GP visits are nice, though. I won't argue there.

Edit: It's also extremely hard to get disability for mental health issues here. I get the impression that it's actually easier in at least some of the states. It's not possible to get disability for something like anxiety, depression, PTSD, OCD, or many other disorders here. You need, at minimum, a history of psychotic episodes. And you have to be considered incapable of taking care of yourself. There are more enlightened places in the world that will give disability even for something like social anxiety.

It's a crying shame when so many things come down to money...

These are just my thoughts/opinions, I am not a Doctor/Health Professional etc. so please draw your own conclusions.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 11:59 PM
Bigger than my body

My Mood: Inspired
I have bipolar type schizoaffective disorder. I'm on medication which helps with moods swings and keeps me from experiencing mania. I hear voices constantly but they're like a very quite whisper in my ear. They don't usually bother me much. When I first started hearing voices about 15 years ago I didn't know what was happening and I was talking back to them. I also experienced extreme highs and lows rapidly. Delusional thinking.
Spent two years just sort of drifting through life on my own not knowing what was going on living in a different reality than the rest of the world in my mind.

Medication helped but I had to work on re-framing much of how I viewed the world and myself and my place in the world.

Now I tune the voices out, luckily for me they've always been generally nice enough. I can tell they have no self awareness, I think they're just a manifestation from a past trauma or something. They just say things like "think happy" "act happy" "(my name), please open" "I love you" and many variations of the same things said in different ways like they're on repeat.

Sometimes they sound like man other times a woman and sometimes there really no gender in the tone which may not make sense but it's more like auditorily hearing a thought rather than actually hearing a voice...how thoughts have an empty quality to them, they evaporate as quick as you look at them.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2021, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post

Well in BC everything is free but not including Dental. I get some coverage for that but its not very much. I might have to pay for meds here and there but only $30ish for the random med. It's pretty easy to get disability here as long as you got a disability in the first place. I'm just saying this is how it is in BC, Canada. Maybe its not the same in other provinces but, this is how it is here. I am sorry it's not easy for you where ever you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcut83 View Post
I have bipolar type schizoaffective disorder. I'm on medication which helps with moods swings and keeps me from experiencing mania. I hear voices constantly but they're like a very quite whisper in my ear. They don't usually bother me much. When I first started hearing voices about 15 years ago I didn't know what was happening and I was talking back to them. I also experienced extreme highs and lows rapidly. Delusional thinking.
Spent two years just sort of drifting through life on my own not knowing what was going on living in a different reality than the rest of the world in my mind.

Medication helped but I had to work on re-framing much of how I viewed the world and myself and my place in the world.

Now I tune the voices out, luckily for me they've always been generally nice enough. I can tell they have no self awareness, I think they're just a manifestation from a past trauma or something. They just say things like "think happy" "act happy" "(my name), please open" "I love you" and many variations of the same things said in different ways like they're on repeat.

Sometimes they sound like man other times a woman and sometimes there really no gender in the tone which may not make sense but it's more like auditorily hearing a thought rather than actually hearing a voice...how thoughts have an empty quality to them, they evaporate as quick as you look at them.
I have a friend with Schizoaffective disorder, though I dont know very much about it. But me, I might hear random voices say my name out loud once in awhile, and it only happens once every three days so it's not a huge concern. I just look around, pretend it didnt happen, and walk away.

I had one episode where I thought I had implants, which was the very beginning, this was in 2015. Anyways, after going to the hospital for a couple weeks i figured out that it was all in my head. I should have figured it out sooner. But thats life I guess. I havent had another episode since, because I control myself, and the medication works.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page