Anyone here a compulsive hoarder?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Anyone share/relate?
Yes With me it's computer components/other electronic equipment and books too. I don't think I've ever thrown away a book, even if I didn't like it and have no intention of ever reading it again. It just ends up on a shelf with all the others. I also have a big cupboard chock full of computer parts, some of which are years old and long out of date, but I keep them anyway "just in case I need them"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
SAS Member

My mother was a hoarder and its really a sad thing. I wish I had known more about it before she died.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:53 PM
huh
SAS Member

I think I'm a compulsive discarder If I see something thats been sitting around my place for a while I usually just toss it. My Dad is a hoarder though. He has a basement full of stuff that he probably hasn't touched in years.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Diffident

I come from a hoarders family lol (though aren't myself), we have moved houses like 4 times in the last few years till we found a big enough (7 bedroom) one to fit all the crap they cant bare throwing away...it's just too hard for them knowing one day what we throw out might be useful for something :S, but that day never comes....

I'm not anxious, I'm hopeful. One day I'll meet someone who finds crippling insecurities and social ineptitude simply lovely =).

I've created a website along with a fellow SAS member on Introverts, Solitude and feeling Disconnected from the people around you.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:08 PM
wooden hippie nice

My boyfriend is a compulsive discarder... which, me being a compulsive hoarder, makes things difficult!

Ever since I was small I've gotten 'attached' to all kinds of junk, and haven't been able to throw it away. Things like receipts, used envelopes and packaging pose a pretty bad problem for me... at one point I even remember holding on to price stickers and tags from things I'd bought! Just totally ridiculous items that I have no idea why I felt so sentimental about.

When I was little and my mum would have a clear out of old children's toys, clothes, books, etc. from time to time, I remember on a couple of occasions sneaking down in the dead of night to rummage through the bags she had collected, trying to smuggle as much as I could back into my wardrobe. I also remember the time she threw out our old sofa, and her ending up having to cut out a piece of the fabric as a keepsake for me, because I was so upset for some reason to see it go.

Just today my boyfriend came round to help me pack my things for going home for christmas (we're at uni) and it got quite heated and stressful, with him discovering my mountains of old receipts, bits of useless paper, packaging and plastic bags all stuffed into any spare corner. He's one of those people who barely has anything in his room... he'll just chuck out anything he doesn't use on a regular basis. I feel better once I've had a good clear out, which I try to do once in a while when I'm in a ruthless mood, but the things quickly start to pile up again!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Time Lord

I tend to hoard papers and stupid little trinkets (hey, I might need that two year old library slip, or stupid-but-funny keychain one day!)
but I don't have enough room to hoard all the stuff I would like to, other peoples' 'collections' get in my way

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 PM

Sometimes i keep wires and switches from broken electronics on the off chance that someday they might be useful. I have my old motherboard still, 3 ide hard drives and 2 floppy drives that i will likely never use but can seem to get rid of. I even keep screws and bolts from things i have taken apart, got some 486 computer brackets too. Managed to toss out a lot of stuff a few years ago but i still have a lot of useless junk.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Haters to the left.

I'm not a hoarder, but my parents are. Our house is pretty clean for the most part. Then there's the garage...omg...the garage.

Where am I going and why am I in this little handbasket?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
herp derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncake View Post
My boyfriend is a compulsive discarder... which, me being a compulsive hoarder, makes things difficult!

Ever since I was small I've gotten 'attached' to all kinds of junk, and haven't been able to throw it away. Things like receipts, used envelopes and packaging pose a pretty bad problem for me... at one point I even remember holding on to price stickers and tags from things I'd bought! Just totally ridiculous items that I have no idea why I felt so sentimental about.

When I was little and my mum would have a clear out of old children's toys, clothes, books, etc. from time to time, I remember on a couple of occasions sneaking down in the dead of night to rummage through the bags she had collected, trying to smuggle as much as I could back into my wardrobe. I also remember the time she threw out our old sofa, and her ending up having to cut out a piece of the fabric as a keepsake for me, because I was so upset for some reason to see it go.

Just today my boyfriend came round to help me pack my things for going home for christmas (we're at uni) and it got quite heated and stressful, with him discovering my mountains of old receipts, bits of useless paper, packaging and plastic bags all stuffed into any spare corner. He's one of those people who barely has anything in his room... he'll just chuck out anything he doesn't use on a regular basis. I feel better once I've had a good clear out, which I try to do once in a while when I'm in a ruthless mood, but the things quickly start to pile up again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyJude View Post
I'm not a hoarder, but my parents are. Our house is pretty clean for the most part. Then there's the garage...omg...the garage.
I can relate....my mother is a compulsive discardder and she pretty much throws everything which has not been in use for a week, away so our house is probably slightly too clean (empty, rather). I remember when I was younger, I would get into massive arguments with her over things that she'd thrown away. And then there's my room - where frankly, a bomb site could probably look more neater. Someone once gave me a compliment that they could "finally see my floor"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page