A different look at mental illness. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

A different look at mental illness.

Mental illness from the publics view as opposed to "real illness" is that the "sufferer" is causing this too himself- and he "just needs to change his attitude and pull up his panties.One guy gets "the flu and its 100% out of his control and how unlucky he were too get it"- the other one "gets depression and social anxiety- "oh well thats 100% in you're control and ur a lil crybaby who made urself get it".

In the book How too win friends and influence people the author talks about mental illness: He says that there is no such thing as mental illness, nothing we can meassure in a lab- what it is he says is just a deep need to feel important. "This is my story, this is my mental illness" look how special i am. He's saying we live in delusion because reality is too much for us, and we never got to be someone of importance so we made this up instead.

What are you're thoughts on the level of responsobility of these "illnesses"? How much is self created? Is it all self created? Or would everyone react like this if they had theire bodies riddled in adrenaline and cortisol?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cheeky
i find myself thinking about this a lot too.. whenever i do, i also think "well, if this is all in my head, why would i make this up just to make myself suffer and have a suckish life?" i feel like if people had the ability to just "turn it off" (SA for example), they'd do it in a heart beat... that's just my opinion. im not sure if some people do it for attention, but i do know we cant take it lightly.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jisela View Post
i find myself thinking about this a lot too.. whenever i do, i also think "well, if this is all in my head, why would i make this up just to make myself suffer and have a suckish life?" i feel like if people had the ability to just "turn it off" (SA for example), they'd do it in a heart beat... that's just my opinion. im not sure if some people do it for attention, but i do know we cant take it lightly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah it doesn't make sense that we would go that far and suffer through those emotions just for some sense of importance or what have you. It's probably ( hopefully ) just one of my ( our ) fears when in distress.

I remember a quote from freaud: “Neurotics complain of their illness, but they make the most of it, and when it comes to taking it away from them they will defend it like a lioness her young.”

I for sure make the most of it in my bad periods.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Well my knee jerk thought is someone who is sufficiently mentally ill should kill that author slowly.

But after putting more thought into it, torturing him until he develops PTSD would work better. I mean he could still argue that the person killing him isn't really mentally ill, but he can't argue with his own mental illness.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Smile

hardware or software???

synapses & neurons!

firing right or not

your software is your thoughts & decisions
mood
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Well my knee jerk thought is someone who is sufficiently mentally ill should kill that author slowly.

But after putting more thought into it, torturing him until he develops PTSD would work better. I mean he could still argue that the person killing him isn't really mentally ill, but he can't argue with his own mental illness.
It is what he has gathered from working with lots of "neurotics" as a psychologist- Sigmund Freud.

What im arguing is that certain people maybe cant even have a mental illness because they would have a more rational attitude towards neurosis and not feed it like we do, especially me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page