12 Signs You Might Be Suffering from Complex PTSD - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding

12 Signs You Might Be Suffering from Complex PTSD

Cause erryone loves diagnosing themselves with terrible things.

Quote:
1. A feeling that nothing is safe
2. We can never relax
3. Can’t really sleep & wake up early
4. Appalling self-image
5. Drawn to highly unavailable people
6. Sickened by people who want to be cozy with us
7. Prone to loose temper very badly
8. Highly paranoid
9. Other people seem dangerous so we like to be alone
10. Life feels exhausting
11. We’re not spontaneous
12. Attempt to find security through various things like money, fame etc
----------------

I have nine of these (1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12). Prolly why my therapist thinks I have c-PTSD.

I'm not drawn to highly unavailable people (5). I'm not really drawn to anyone and everyone is highly unavailable, lol.

I'm not sickened by people who want to be cozy (6). I like cuddles! But if you sneak up on me and touch me and I'm not expecting it I'll jump out of my own skin. My startle reflex is amazing. People actually used to tease me about it in school. I had a nickname based on it and everything.

I'm not prone to losing my temper (7). At least, not directly at people. I'm much too scared they'll murder me.

I don't really like being alone (9), but I only really feel safe when I'm alone. So I spend all my time alone. But I don't enjoy it. I counted it anyway.

Some of my symptoms are actually more extreme than the examples. Like I am actually afraid that people might try to kill me. And I am suicidal all the time.

I hate the "you just need to love yourself" bs solution at the end of all these videos. Like, no, loving yourself will not make your cPTSD go away. Loving your child will not make you stop fearing for your child. And loving yourself will not make you stop fearing for yourself. Honestly, who started this whole "self-love/compassion cures everything" business? It's not remotely accurate or scientific. It's just feel-good nonsense.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 04:17 AM
Permanently An Idiot

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
2. We can never relax
4. Appalling self-image
8. Highly paranoid
Hm... 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11 and 12. (Not all the time, but when I'm not distracting myself from the world)

I wouldn't say I'm sickened by people who want to be cozy with me, just confused and distrustful. And I'm not used to being touched, it feels weird, even like a pat on the back/arm.

And I do have a temper, a dangerous one, but I manage to keep it all inwards. I implode, rather than explode.

So... eight and two halves. Hooray.

And yes, loving yourself is a massive cop out in these cases. If I could have grown up loving myself, I wouldn't be in this mess, what makes anyone think I can change that now?

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 AM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
2. We can never relax
4. Appalling self-image
8. Highly paranoid
I don't think 1, probably 2 (but I don't think it's related to this I think it's my lifestyle and some generalised anxiety.)

Not 3 I have really **** quality sleep especially recently so wake up feeling like crap, but I don't have trouble getting to sleep and sleep a normal amount of hours most of the time.

4 but I'm a bit of a psychopath so I don't always care if people think I'm predatory etc but sometimes I do, depends on my state of mind/mood and who they are. (I'm not sure this even counts since people have directly told me this on multiple occasions, both in a general sense and in a sexual sense it's not just a feeling from no where at least one person actually used the word predator like in the video to describe people with similar sexualities to me haha.) I think I'm more likely to just feel pathetic though when it comes to negative self image. Lacking in skills, kind of useless etc.

5 but I think it's mostly a combination of me being not attractive and coming across as unavailable too. Also I've had some bad experiences with clingy people.

edit: when I'm attracted to fictional characters they are usually fairly asexual or androgynous, not in relationships in the show, kind of stoic on that topic. My second ex wasn't technically asexual but before we got together he posted on Facebook he didn't understand why people liked sex, and isn't very sexually driven. As long as they're not too politically conservative I like when guys are kind of prudish. I'm turned off by sexually aggressive/forward personalities I think. Probably have a lower threshold for what counts as that than most. I won't go into further details here but this is taken to a pathological extreme I believe. And I think this just applies to guys because I seem to like female 'nymphomaniac' characters sometimes. So I guess it depends on how they express their sexuality too and how masculine they seem to me. I figure it's related to some experience in childhood when I was experimenting, but it might just be in born/related to my personality type and that was the first time it showed up.

I wouldn't say I'm sickened by people who want to be cozy with me, not that adjective. So I guess not that one but there's discomfort and it really depends on the specifics and it might also annoy me.

definitely 7 probably 8, 10 a lot of the time, 11. Not sure about 12.

9 is kind of hard I don't think I like being alone because people are dangerous but because I can't really be bothered performing, don't like small talk, some specific people are draining/incompatible with me, also social anxiety. Not sure I'd say I 'like' being alone exactly either. It depends on the alternative.

The meditation thing from the video doesn't apply to me lol, in fact when I was messing around with that years ago my brother was constantly joking that I'm a hippy.. But I usually can't be bothered because I'm easily bored and have ADHD symptoms. I do have a huge physical personal bubble though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 08:25 AM
SAS Member

2. We can never relax
4. Appalling self-image --> not sure, not an emotional thing really.
8. Highly paranoid

8.5/12

Mucus is a living thing you know
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 02:59 PM
bipolar

I don't like diagnosing myself with horrible things - or with anything tbh. I've got enough problems as it is.

Don't think I've got that one - the only bit I can identify with is losing my temper very easily. I do that a lot. Plus I get exhausted sometimes but that's probably understandable.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page