Why is the Evil Businessman Trope so Common ? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad

Why is the Evil Businessman Trope so Common ?

As I get older, and I look back at my childhood entertainment....it amazes me how often businessman are portrayed as outright villains....or at the very least very unsympathetic whilat the good guy is almost always dirt poor.

But...everybody aspires to have financial success...so why are those with money portrayed as villains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:06 AM
Gone and not returning.

Probably rooted in the bible, and very possibly has anti-Semitic roots. Think about the Merchant of Venice.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 AM
The Groat King

"And*Jesus*went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the*money changers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:30 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRVg...ature=youtu.be

As I get older, and I look back at my childhood entertainment....it amazes me how often businessman are portrayed as outright villains....or at the very least very unsympathetic whilat the good guy is almost always dirt poor.

But...everybody aspires to have financial success...so why are those with money portrayed as villains.
I think it's an archetype of unbalanced power. Obviously in the Bible (the new testament, anyway. I am not so familiar with the old testament) there are plenty of references to businessmen and the outright wealthy, but it would be interesting to know if the same character type of the "evil businessman" is also found in other cultures that didn't develop a capitalist society. Feudal Japan, for example, or ancient China, medieval Europe, Greeks, or Persian folklore.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:11 AM
Cooking Chicken

I think it's easy to hate the guy who has everything. A good number of us just seem instinctively want to punish and persecute the rich with invented suspicions and poor reasoning. I don't think that's good.

on the other hand,

This has me dwelling on my most car-buying experience and how the process at one place was like this degrading psychological warfare all the way out the door. It's not enough to sell you a car, they gotta try and wring you dry even if you don't have very deep pockets and then make you feel like a loser when they don't succeed. You're not a person, you're a sale. "Nothing personal, just business." That's the extent to which I can experience this quote in reality, but I feel like that's the way it is in this world most of the time. You can either play that game and be good at it, or walk out on the fringes resenting it.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:45 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Because how would those without money ever afford to be super evil?
Do you know what a volcano super base goes for?
The imbalance of power leads to only the rich being able to become super villains.

"have I not reason to hate and to despise myself? Indeed I do; and chiefly for not having hated and despised the world enough."
~William Hazlitt

"There have been times when only a hair's-breadth has intervened betwixt myself and the seething devil-ridden world of madness; for the hideous knowledge, the horror- blackened memories which I have carried so long, were never meant to be borne by the human intellect."
~Clark Ashton Smith
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:05 AM
The Groat King

Absolute power corrupts absolutely
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Tired

Language: English
because businessmen are almost universally ****s in reality.

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
The theme of wealth corrupting is pretty universal, doesn’t mean it always will do so but it’s a lot easier to be casually shady with a nice suit and money to burn
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:07 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
yeah because they are evil lol

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:32 PM
Permanently Banned

capitalists = demons
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:44 PM
SAS Member

Because Robber Barons are bad even if they change their name to 'Captains of industry'.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:11 PM
SAS Member

The trope is there for a reason.. it's true.

It's something that comes up with my business a lot (I'm really struggling at the moment) and it also relates to my social anxiety as well.

People say to me all the time "Don't worry! It's just business" as though that is supposed to help but I look at the world and see how ****ed up it is, because it's full of people that hold this ideology.

As a collective we have lost our sense of purpose. It's all about manipulation in the pursuit of individual gain but we humans are "smart" enough to delude ourselves otherwise. Advertising these days no longer sells on the merits of the product itself. It is all about the warm and fuzzing feeling and sense of belonging to something... but it's all bull$h1t. "It's just business." As though buying a specific brand of product is going to make the world a better place! Yet as a collective we lap it up like the bunch of morons that we are. It pays the bills and if we work hard enough at it, we might be able to afford a fancy car and nice house that in turns provides us with a sense of success, purpose and validation.

****ing blissful stuff!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:44 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
It's not easy being evil when you're not rich, I would know. I'm more of a Sephiroth villain than a Shinra villain though. I mean you know, if Sephiroth was also very physically weak and just an angry person who read a lot of stuff. My hair also isn't that fabulous and I could never be bothered maintaining that style, but it could be - and that's what counts.

1 in 5 business leaders are psychopaths (similar rate to the prison population apparently lmfao.)

Also because I just posted this in another thread:

(not a business man exactly, but fits into the capitalist psychopath trope nicely.)

Also Steve Jobs specifically was kind of an *******. Probably no point continuing to list people though.

Don't worry there are lots of negative tropes about poor people too. You can chill.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:12 PM
The Groat King

Poor psychopaths are kinda limited in the amount of people they can **** over but rich people can screw over a large group of people and usually not only get away with it but actually​ be praised for it. Sometimes even by the very people they have screwed over!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:20 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWJSKhEwjy8

(not a business man exactly, but fits into the capitalist psychopath trope nicely.)
He was a huge proponent of the Iraq war and helped get it going, and he still to this day thinks the war was a good idea. Yeah he's probably a psychopath. lol
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:02 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Advertising these days no longer sells on the merits of the product itself. It is all about the warm and fuzzing feeling and sense of belonging to something... but it's all bull$h1t.
marketing has never been ethical

human morality is:
- circumstantial
- socially plastic/malleable
- memetic
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:54 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by versikk View Post
marketing has never been ethical
Totally agree. My point was directed towards how it has changed. In some ways the old snake oil days were 'charming' in their naivety. It’s almost as though as though modern marketing has convinced itself that it's altruistic.

e.g. “Brands are good because they help us to belong”

This lovely lady has it all worked out though. Apparently truth, love and integrity hold the answer >>

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:43 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
Advertising these days no longer sells on the merits of the product itself. It is all about the warm and fuzzing feeling and sense of belonging to something... but it's all bull$h1t.
Teaching people that they should cultivate their identity through consumerism was a genius move from an advertising perspective. Like do you want to be a 'biker' guy, then you can't just buy a motorcycle, you need to buy all the t-shirts and accessories, all the leather stuff, also you have to buy all the same stuff for your wife who's now a 'biker wife', then you have to be a part of the mass group. Same thing with anything else, gamers, athletes, 'hipsters', etc.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:21 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimeclub View Post
Teaching people that they should cultivate their identity through consumerism was a genius move from an advertising perspective. Like do you want to be a 'biker' guy, then you can't just buy a motorcycle, you need to buy all the t-shirts and accessories, all the leather stuff, also you have to buy all the same stuff for your wife who's now a 'biker wife', then you have to be a part of the mass group. Same thing with anything else, gamers, athletes, 'hipsters', etc.
One of my favourite photographers is James A. Fox. Although I love his images, his business acumen doesn't inspire or motivate me at all. In fact it kinda pisses me off in that we, as a collective, define 'genius' and 'success' in this way. He sold many photos that helped to forge the essence of the Everlast brand... so now everyone can be part of that "essence" and all we (the consumer) have to do is part with our cash. We have created a world where anything is possible but nothing is real.

I guess it will just be matter of time before people start to come to terms with their shallow and meaningless consumer driven existence and move onto the next means of filling the void. I just wish I knew what it was going to be so I could make a $h1tload of money out of it before anyone else does!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page