Why is prostitution illegal in the USA? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Should prostitution be legalized in the USA?
Yes 54 46.96%
No 13 11.30%
I'm not American and yes 38 33.04%
I'm not American and no 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
The Shadow Prophet
 
xxDark Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Former Martian
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 3,799
My Mood: Inspired

Why is prostitution illegal in the USA?


Why is prostitution illegal in the United States?

What's so bad about it?
xxDark Horse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 01:44 PM
Hiding under my blankets
 
Chasingclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Washington
Gender: Male
Posts: 667
My Mood: Sleepy
Prostitution is illegal in the U.S because there's no way to really tax it and since they can't make money off it (like certain drugs) they illegalize it.

I used to give one of my really good friends crap for trying to drink her problems away, now I feel like a hypocrite because usually the only time I feel happy now is at the bottom of a bottle.
Chasingclouds is offline  
post #3 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 01:50 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,583
So politicians can feel extra naughty when they pay for it.

....
^^^
(Assertiveness - Depression - Body Acceptance - Distress Intolerance - Low Self-Esteem - Panic Disorder - Perfectionism - Procrastination - Social Anxiety - Chronic Worrying and Generalised Anxiety Disorder - Disordered Eating - Bipolar Disorder - Health Anxiety)

TicklemeRingo is offline  
 
post #4 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 01:51 PM
Chlorine and Wine
 
minimized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The idiot nation
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Posts: 12,114
My Mood: Dead
Puritanism

Here's to life, the vice
The great herald of misery
In this cup, spiritus frumenti
For this is the nectar of the spirit
minimized is offline  
post #5 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:02 PM
SAS Member
 
Findedeux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,098
My Mood: Lurking
Anything can be taxed.

Prostitution was tolerated in the 1800s.

There were always problems re the spread of disease but in the early 1900s it became a big moral issue and various laws were passed against it.

Those laws have remained in place almost solely on moral grounds despite adultery no longer being illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingclouds View Post
Prostitution is illegal in the U.S because there's no way to really tax it and since they can't make money off it (like certain drugs) they illegalize it.
Findedeux is offline  
post #6 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:14 PM
electric
 
a degree of freedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Denver
Gender: Male
Age: 35
Posts: 6,788
No, that shouldn't be a legal, societially accepted means of making ends meet. That's bull****.

We are the drop, the wave, and the tide.
|ᓴ\___/ᓱ|
╰☆╮╭☆╯
 ⋱/⍚\⋰ 
a degree of freedom is offline  
post #7 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:26 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by senkora View Post
No, that shouldn't be a legal, societially accepted means of making ends meet. That's bull****.
It's a tough call. I definitely don't like that women end up in prostitution and we should be doing everything we can as a society to help them and get them out of it. On the other hand, there needs to be a way for men who aren't able to get sex to fulfill those needs, and women sure aren't doing it for free. Regulation is awful, because it puts control of sex-workers' decisions into the hands of the regulators or brothel owners. I think it needs to be legal and unregulated, entirely up to the sex-workers what they want to do and how they do it.
Wings of Amnesty is offline  
post #8 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
The Shadow Prophet
 
xxDark Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Former Martian
Gender: Male
Age: 24
Posts: 3,799
My Mood: Inspired
I think prostitution should be legal.

I mean there's a lot of angry males in their 20s and 30s ranting about little success with women and never having sex. Imagine being a 25 year old virgin who has little success with women. Why can't you just go visit a prostitute just to see what it's like and get it over with?
xxDark Horse is offline  
post #9 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Monster
 
LostinReverie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Graveyard
Posts: 6,550
If it's legalized to specific locations that I can stay the **** away from, then these women can devalue themselves however they choose. I just don't want to see them and their methods of a attracting customers (gross).

I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.
LostinReverie is offline  
post #10 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:59 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,911
Canada recently changed its laws to keep it illegal while exempting the sex workers, themselves. In other words, if a prostitute gets beat up by a client, they can report it to the police without fear of being prosecuted, themselves.

Here,

It's legal to sell sex, but illegal to buy it.

It's legal to advertise oneself as a prostitute, but illegal for a third party to publish such an ad.

It's legal to solicit a customer about prostituting oneself, but illegal for that customer to solicit the prostitute.

It's legal to profit off sex if you are the prostitute or someone to whom the prostitute is "legally or morally obligated to" (read: family), but illegal to profit from someone else's prostitution (read: pimp).

^^ This all sounds OK to me.

In the U.S., as far as I know, it's strictly illegal (buying OR selling). That seems a bit much. The prostitutes should have some kind of protection (which is why Canada changed its laws).


Just Lurking is offline  
post #11 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:59 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDark Horse View Post
I think prostitution should be legal.

I mean there's a lot of angry males in their 20s and 30s ranting about little success with women and never having sex. Imagine being a 25 year old virgin who has little success with women. Why can't you just go visit a prostitute just to see what it's like and get it over with?
People do this anyway even though it's illegal.

There are just enough loud mouthed prudes who would scream bloody murder if any politician tried to legalize it.

Imagine their motivations to be against it - they don't want their husbands to have easier access to this. Some women use sex to control men and if it's widely available and cheap, then they lose their power.
mjkittredge is offline  
post #12 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 PM
SAS Member
 
RetroAesthetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire, UK. (Near Leeds)
Gender: Male
Posts: 133
I think men and women should be able to sell sex, provided it's all in a happy and safe environment.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows though. If it absolutely was, I'd say how could anyone have the right to try and make it illegal. But I understand why it's frowned upon, in terms of safety.

Aesthetics. Design. <3
RetroAesthetic is offline  
post #13 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NYC
Gender: Male
Posts: 539
not sure.
Damon is offline  
post #14 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:02 PM
Resist
 
nubly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Surviving the trumpocalypse
Gender: Male
Posts: 33,832
My Mood: Tired
Countries that have allowed it have had an increase in sex slaves. That should be enough for anyone to not want prostitution to be legalized but the johns don't care about these women. They just want to get their rocks have and have convinced themselves that human trafficking isn't an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
nubly is offline  
post #15 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:02 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: United States (New England)
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,102
Because of the damn Puritans.
iCod is offline  
post #16 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:13 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx
 
Persephone The Dread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Posts: 36,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInReverie View Post
If it's legalized to specific locations that I can stay the **** away from, then these women can devalue themselves however they choose. I just don't want to see them and their methods of a attracting customers (gross).


Persephone The Dread is offline  
post #17 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:20 PM
SAS Member
 
RandomGentleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingclouds View Post
Prostitution is illegal in the U.S because there's no way to really tax it and since they can't make money off it (like certain drugs) they illegalize it.
...Brothels? Those are pretty good moneymakers.
RandomGentleman is offline  
post #18 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Upstate New York
Gender: Male
Age: 32
Posts: 3,184
It should be fully legalized, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Sex trafficking would also decrease if a woman could go to the authorities without fear of being arrested themselves.

Two consenting adult... it's not a problem.
Gojira is offline  
post #19 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 46
Posts: 28,283
My Mood: Relaxed
Why? Because if it has something to do with making sex a little more simple, it's got to be bad. This is not a prejudice that's unique to the US, BTW. The rest of the world also has a long history of sex phobia. And still does...to various degrees and with a wide variety of ****ed up side effects.

Of course there's quite a bit of weird religious BS that's warped human perception of what sex is and should or shouldn't be. Can't be denied. I think humans just can't deal with sex because it's too ****ing simple and we have to make everything more complicated than it really needs to be.

In an ideal world, there would be equal numbers of horny males and females. But we fixed that too.

/WYSD
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #20 of 254 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:31 PM
SAS Member
 
Jermster91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Houston, Tx
Gender: Male
Age: 28
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDark Horse View Post
Why is prostitution illegal in the United States?

What's so bad about it?
In my opinion, I think religious group would do any and everything to prevent it from happening. Also I don't think women would allow it because of how it is their bodies. Although if it was allowed, there would be no guys that were virgins.

The person that makes me the happiest, is also the same person that make me miserable.

Jermster91 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Surge of illegal immigrants at the border Cletis Society & Culture 12 10-22-2015 07:15 PM
Survey: 92% Call Illegal Immigration a 'Problem,' 77% Say It's 'Serious Cletis Society & Culture 16 10-08-2015 12:03 PM
Obama Plans Fast Track Voting for Illegal Aliens in 2016 Cletis Society & Culture 11 10-02-2015 09:56 AM
Survey USA: Every Democrat Trails Trump, Though Narrowly Cletis Society & Culture 16 09-09-2015 10:37 PM
Federal Court: Illegal Convicted Con can't be deported because he's transgender Cletis Society & Culture 13 09-04-2015 02:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome