Why does the media never discuss marijuana's link with mental illness ? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad

Why does the media never discuss marijuana's link with mental illness ?

I work in a psychiatric unit...and trust me...it doesn't take a month there to notice the link between marijuana use and psychosis...whether it is schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or depression with psychotic symptoms. Now..I am not the psychiatrist but I remember the psychiatrist himself gave a lecture once where he pointed out that...even if the direct link has not been fully explained...the statistical correlation between marijuana use and schizophrenia was undeniable.

It is extremely frustrating to have a re-admitted patient...who we know got better whilst he was inside..and not using marijuana...return to the ward months later...having used cannabis ...completely relapsed into his illness all the while insisting that marijuana is harmless because "that's what they say on Tv.

(face palm)
This is what happens when political interests control the narrative of the science. Any scientific study to the contrary of popular opinion is silenced.

But there is a link between marijuana use and mental illness. So please do not drink the gravy and educate yourself

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/subs...ychosis-review
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4033190/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3560946/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23673914
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5478733/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4552130/

The ONLY reason why there is a push for marijuana legalization now, is because certain co-orperations have discovered how to make it profitable (including big pharma) stand to make a huge windfall profit...both from the sale of marijuana....and from the sale of the antipsychotics they will need when they inevitably develop schizophrenia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Umm cause without mentally ill people they might not have a job, duh.. <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/um.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:57 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
It does... And more importantly that's all it did in the past.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
It does... And more importantly that's all it did in the past.
Really ? How so...all I have heard is the general "marijuana is bad for your health" ...said by a person who is made to look boring and uptight...followed by all the cool people ignoring him to "seemingly" non consequence.

It's like when society with through the "free love phase" everybody was having sex irresponsibly...those who didn't were "squares" ...it wasn't until the STI's began to creep up and the AIDS epidemic broke that society as a whole took a step back and people began to think about responsible sex again.

Why are we so darned self-destructive ....we take the most dangerous unhealthy habits and promote them as "cool"

They like to show mental institutions as these "mad houses" separate from society...but mental illness isn't separate from society at all.

Every day I deal with another teenage boy who ruined his school life and became a hopeless malignant schizophreniac because people told him marijuana was harmless.

In the media they portray alcohol as something you drink, it makes you misbehave and the next day you are fine. What they don't show are the men who die of liver cirrhosis, the men who become homeless bums...

Same thing with marijuana...they show pot as something all the cool kids use..and only "squares" think it is not cool.

What they do not show are the schizophrenics, the bipolars and the manic depressives who have become non-functional in society.

Yea sure...they may not die from overdose....but a life spent in-and-out of mental asylums isn't much of a life now is it ?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:54 AM
Poorly tuned

My Mood: Relaxed
Give them time. The media always seems to be on the wrong side of freedom. If they seem to be on the right side for once, I sure as hell wouldn't trust them any farther than I could throw a spare tire. I can't remember a time when they seemed to be on the right side when they weren't actually just working an angle.

/WYSD
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:04 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone else

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president weíve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Give them time. The media always seems to be on the wrong side of freedom. If they seem to be on the right side for once, I sure as hell wouldn't trust them any farther than I could throw a spare tire. I can't remember a time when they seemed to be on the right side when they weren't actually just working an angle.
Look, I am not saying that it cannot be legalized in some form. But the way we doing it now is completely a social experiment, praising it as a wonder drug and cure-ALL. All of the data which points to its negative side-effects are suppressed.

AND THE PRO-MARIJUANA CAMP ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT BIG PHARMA ISN'T BEHIND THIS

If people seriously want to legalize marijuana, then all marijuana products should be branded with "this can trigger psychosis in susceptible individuals."

If we seriously want to legalize it and be safe about it...then let's have honest discussions about its positive correlative link to psychosis on all the major news networks.

The argument that "recreational alcohol is dangerous, and it is legal, so recreational marijuana should be legal too" .....It's just like the pro-gun movement on the extreme right... insisting that more guns will make society safer...despite all evidence to the contrary,
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:46 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
Really ? How so...all I have heard is the general "marijuana is bad for your health" ...said by a person who is made to look boring and uptight...followed by all the cool people ignoring him to "seemingly" non consequence.

It's like when society with through the "free love phase" everybody was having sex irresponsibly...those who didn't were "squares" ...it wasn't until the STI's began to creep up and the AIDS epidemic broke that society as a whole took a step back and people began to think about responsible sex again.

Why are we so darned self-destructive ....we take the most dangerous unhealthy habits and promote them as "cool"

They like to show mental institutions as these "mad houses" separate from society...but mental illness isn't separate from society at all.

Every day I deal with another teenage boy who ruined his school life and became a hopeless malignant schizophreniac because people told him marijuana was harmless.

In the media they portray alcohol as something you drink, it makes you misbehave and the next day you are fine. What they don't show are the men who die of liver cirrhosis, the men who become homeless bums...

Same thing with marijuana...they show pot as something all the cool kids use..and only "squares" think it is not cool.

What they do not show are the schizophrenics, the bipolars and the manic depressives who have become non-functional in society.

Yea sure...they may not die from overdose....but a life spent in-and-out of mental asylums isn't much of a life now is it ?
There's no need to have responsible sex when sti's aren't a serious problem. HIV in pandemic form is a pretty recent occurrence, (like as in the 80s.) Not a great comparison.

I think most people know that it's inadvisable to do certain drugs if you have a family background of certain illnesses but for a lot of people occasional use is beneficial and not going to lead to any more significant problems than say drinking alcohol (alcohol is usually worse.)

I do think people who are mentally ill or have a propensity for becoming so and are struggling are more likely to do drugs as well. You can't blame people when you look at how **** society is. Personally I don't smoke weed, and I've only really drunk alcohol, I have tried cbd oil it didn't really do anything for me (and that was a response to already being entirely dysfunctional.) I have full understanding of why people wouldn't want to be sober for this ride though.

If you're serious about this then start thinking about how to dismantle capitalism, otherwise you're not and just beating the proles again for being bad slaves when they live like NEETs, do drugs, play videogames, drop out of society as a response etc..

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:37 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Look, I am not saying that it cannot be legalized in some form. But the way we doing it now is completely a social experiment, praising it as a wonder drug and cure-ALL. All of the data which points to its negative side-effects are suppressed.

AND THE PRO-MARIJUANA CAMP ACTUALLY BELIEVE THAT BIG PHARMA ISN'T BEHIND THIS
I think you're getting the wrong idea, capitalism and the corporations first consume and then exploit and they're not particularly bothered about what gets incorporated or the social ramifications as long as it creates capital.

Capitalism takes a recreational activity, lifestyle or identity and transforms it into a spectacle until people get sick of it, or until it becomes bad PR (like gamers who are simultaneously derided and demonised by media, while still being exploited for capital.) You can see how this could be dangerous when the spectacle isn't a drug or an activity but living people:

http://speri.dept.shef.ac.uk/2019/07...er-liberation/

http://theconversation.com/how-neoli...about-it-94856
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:13 AM
SAS Member

Quote:

Those problems are the result of abuse and overuse. The problem with alcohol and the physical effects on the body (the liver, bones, even alcoholism, etc) come from its overconsumption.

Also, though I'm not the most knowledgeable person on psychology and pathology, serious brain illnesses like schitzophrenia never have just one direct cause. Like alcoholism, there is something else in the mind, another tendency, that latches on to the drink or the drug.

As far as I'm concerned, any stance towards an arbitrary abolition is more a knee-jerk reaction, and totally missing the point.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:14 PM
SAS Member

While I have never used it, all the people who I know who did were fine.

It is an interesting theory, but I think that drugs can improve people's lives to the point where they don't have mental problems in some cases.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:13 AM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
Itís true it can be linked to mental health issues...itís also true that people also often use multiple drugs at once, marijuana & alcohol for example...itís also true that even if they are only using marijuana that still can interact with regular medical drugs terribly(antidepressants for example)...and itís also true that a hell of a lot of people have been heavily using marijuana for too long to quantify & most of them are not & have not become schizophrenic...and finally, itís only now that legalization is growing world wide that in depth studies of marijuana are actually occurring & gathering data that simply wasnít allowed to be gained or confirmed during prohibition. Iím pro herb all the way but that doesnít mean I donít think it has dangers or that itís a cure for everything under the sun. Simply put it can be used responsibly for recreation, as medicine, or both
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
Itís true it can be linked to mental health issues...itís also true that people also often use multiple drugs at once, marijuana & alcohol for example...itís also true that even if they are only using marijuana that still can interact with regular medical drugs terribly(antidepressants for example)...and itís also true that a hell of a lot of people have been heavily using marijuana for too long to quantify & most of them are not & have not become schizophrenic...and finally, itís only now that legalization is growing world wide that in depth studies of marijuana are actually occurring & gathering data that simply wasnít allowed to be gained or confirmed during prohibition. Iím pro herb all the way but that doesnít mean I donít think it has dangers or that itís a cure for everything under the sun. Simply put it can be used responsibly for recreation, as medicine, or both
This is the problem...you see...it's nearly impossible to convince the schizophrenics to stop taking marijuana when there are people like you on the mass media saying things like
"a lot of people have been heavily using marijuana for too long to quantify & most of them are not & have not become schizophrenic"

That's like someone saying "I know many people who have smoked all their lives and never developed lung cancer"
or
"I know many people who drink every weekend, and don't get alcohol withdrawal"

There are way too many politicians jumping on the bandwagon.
Can you imagine how difficult it is to try to convince a suicidal person that the marijuana is interfering with their antidepressants when they respond by saying "But the mayor/news/congressperson etc said Marijuana is safe" ?

I'm sorry man, but from where I am standing, in my line of work, I simply cannot advocate for recreational marijuana use...yes it might reduce the prison population, yes the government may tax it...but if you could see the amount of patients we admit to the psych ward for marijuana related psychosis... ...you would probably think twice about your "pro-herb" stance if you could see what I work with daily.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 02:41 AM
In Liquidation

Media thrives on ratings and viewership, so they have to focus on telling things most of the audience wants to hear about. Ranting against marijuana in today's popularity makes this counterproductive.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 04:07 AM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Quote:
This is the problem...you see...it's nearly impossible to convince the schizophrenics to stop taking marijuana when there are people like you on the mass media saying things like

"a lot of people have been heavily using marijuana for too long to quantify & most of them are not & have not become schizophrenic"

That's like someone saying "I know many people who have smoked all their lives and never developed lung cancer"

or

"I know many people who drink every weekend, and don't get alcohol withdrawal"

There are way too many politicians jumping on the bandwagon.

Can you imagine how difficult it is to try to convince a suicidal person that the marijuana is interfering with their antidepressants when they respond by saying "But the mayor/news/congressperson etc said Marijuana is safe" ?

I'm sorry man, but from where I am standing, in my line of work, I simply cannot advocate for recreational marijuana use...yes it might reduce the prison population, yes the government may tax it...but if you could see the amount of patients we admit to the psych ward for marijuana related psychosis... ...you would probably think twice about your "pro-herb" stance if you could see what I work with daily.
Iím not advocating that people with mental health issues use marijuana or think that itís harmless, what Iím saying is that most people who use it(meaning the average citizen)donít have or develop schizophrenia as a result of their habit and it being illegal hasnít stopped people from using it on mass ever...I simply think it should be legal so that those of us who do use it responsibly can buy a regulated & inspected product just like alcohol. Furthermore, thereís warnings on packaging here that note possible negative effects, just like alcohol or cigarettes, and all kinds of education campaigns going on here in Canada noting both the pros & cons of it. Iíd imagine in America capitalists wouldnít stand for the hard restrictions we have on advertising or packaging, etc, here & I donít think the patchwork way legalizationís been done down there has helped at all(these states states say it medicine, these ones say itís recreational, & these ones/the federal government say its illegal...). Up here though it was federally legalized, Health Canada oversees everything about it so educational services, campaigns, & programs have been largely imbedded from the off, plus itís been phased so that edibles will only been legal next month(a year after flower form) & even that will be in stages.

If your patients think itís harmless because itís legal it seems to me thatís a lack of education on the differences between marijuana as recreation, marijuana as medicine, marijuanaís interactions with other drugs, & marijuanaís potential negative influence on mental health diagnosis. Simply telling your patients that itís bad or wrong when anyone who has taken antidepressants & similar such drugs knows the absurd side effects they can have isnít exactly a firm foundation to argue on, ďdonít take this because of its side effects but take these despite their side effectsĒ...Iíve never worked in your field but Iím well aware of the potential for marijuana induced psychosis, particularly when it comes to edibles because most people donít understand that itís stronger in that form & can take up to two hours to kick in(unlike smoking that takes 5-20 minutes)meaning people will take more than they should because they donít feel anything immediately and then when it does kick in they freak out and because theyíve taken so much they arenít coming down for quite a few hours...to me thatís both a lack of education and regulation on production strength & thatís where Iím coming from. Iím not saying your concerns are invalid, but I am saying youíre not gonna convince anyone to consider the negative aspects with a ďwar on drugs/reefer madnessĒ argument in this day & age unless thatís what they already believe
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
Iím not advocating that people with mental health issues use marijuana or think that itís harmless, what Iím saying is that most people who use it(meaning the average citizen)donít have or develop schizophrenia as a result of their habit and it being illegal hasnít stopped people from using it on mass ever...I simply think it should be legal so that those of us who do use it responsibly can buy a regulated & inspected product just like alcohol. Furthermore, thereís warnings on packaging here that note possible negative effects, just like alcohol or cigarettes, and all kinds of education campaigns going on here in Canada noting both the pros & cons of it. Iíd imagine in America capitalists wouldnít stand for the hard restrictions we have on advertising or packaging, etc, here & I donít think the patchwork way legalizationís been done down there has helped at all(these states states say it medicine, these ones say itís recreational, & these ones/the federal government say its illegal...). Up here though it was federally legalized, Health Canada oversees everything about it so educational services, campaigns, & programs have been largely imbedded from the off, plus itís been phased so that edibles will only been legal next month(a year after flower form) & even that will be in stages.

If your patients think itís harmless because itís legal it seems to me thatís a lack of education on the differences between marijuana as recreation, marijuana as medicine, marijuanaís interactions with other drugs, & marijuanaís potential negative influence on mental health diagnosis. Simply telling your patients that itís bad or wrong when anyone who has taken antidepressants & similar such drugs knows the absurd side effects they can have isnít exactly a firm foundation to argue on, ďdonít take this because of its side effects but take these despite their side effectsĒ...Iíve never worked in your field but Iím well aware of the potential for marijuana induced psychosis, particularly when it comes to edibles because most people donít understand that itís stronger in that form & can take up to two hours to kick in(unlike smoking that takes 5-20 minutes)meaning people will take more than they should because they donít feel anything immediately and then when it does kick in they freak out and because theyíve taken so much they arenít coming down for quite a few hours...to me thatís both a lack of education and regulation on production strength & thatís where Iím coming from. Iím not saying your concerns are invalid, but I am saying youíre not gonna convince anyone to consider the negative aspects with a ďwar on drugs/reefer madnessĒ argument in this day & age unless thatís what they already believe
Well the problem with marijuana in the Caribbean is, it's potential health benefits are conflated with the whole "healing of the nation" Rastafarian-mindset (PS, most of the schizophreniacs aren't genuine Rasta's they just adapt the ideology to justify their marijuana use).

So what you mentioned above is correct..marijuana is not discussed in a wholistic way which includes negative side-effects. It's placed on a pedastle and only us boring doctors ever talk about negative side effects.

Whenever we try to discuss the negative side-effects of marijuana...we are just labelled as 'anti-rasta' ...there are entire Reggae songs that are made every year about how "the scientists try to keep the marijuana down"

It's a societal thing...it's hard to change, and the pressure from the USA to legalize-it...isn't making our jobs as health professionals any easier.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Quote:
Well the problem with marijuana in the Caribbean is, it's potential health benefits are conflated with the whole "healing of the nation" Rastafarian-mindset (PS, most of the schizophreniacs aren't genuine Rasta's they just adapt the ideology to justify their marijuana use).

So what you mentioned above is correct..marijuana is not discussed in a wholistic way which includes negative side-effects. It's placed on a pedastle and only us boring doctors ever talk about negative side effects.

Whenever we try to discuss the negative side-effects of marijuana...we are just labelled as 'anti-rasta' ...there are entire Reggae songs that are made every year about how "the scientists try to keep the marijuana down"

It's a societal thing...it's hard to change, and the pressure from the USA to legalize-it...isn't making our jobs as health professionals any easier.
For some reason I was thinking youíre in America bro...I get & identity with a bit of the Rasta ideology(mostly the idea we should learn about our roots, even if only a little bit, & that a marijuana high can be a spiritual experience)but given I wasnít born into it & Iím devoted(for lack of a better phrasing) I wouldnít argue at all that thereís no potential harm. Iíve heard of Rastaís that donít use herb but I think they were ones that werenít residing in the Caribbean. Iíd imagine down there it would be an impossible argument & now really understand the source of your frustrations...you canít convince any religious person that what they are doing is wrong if they believe their actions are ordained by god...thatís true even if they are harming themselves
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:01 PM
Spectacular Member

The countries with the highest cannabis use also have some of the lowest prevalence of schizophrenia. I tend to take health warnings with cannabis with a grain of salt due to decades of misinformation and propaganda. Like I am supposed to believe Health Canada's warning that literally 52% of daily cannabis users become "addicted". What utter bull****. We don't even see that prevalence of addiction with opioids. They will also use interchangeably the words addiction and dependence even though they are two separate things because well it fits their reefer madness agenda.

Or take the recent illnesses associated with vaporizing cannabis, of course these are only people who have used vape cartridges and do not include vaporizing dried cannabis, but why bother to make that distinction when the dishonest media's(and health authorities) job is not to inform the public but rather to push an agenda.

CAMH, the Center for Addiction and Mental Health in Canada was another great example of this reefer madness bias. Up until I wrote them an email criticizing their cannabis information page versus their alcohol, cannabis page that their policy of harm reduction was started off with total abstinence followed by a list of the risks associated with cannabis but couldn't even list a single reason that cannabis would be used medically.

Contrast that with their page on alcohol, they not only didn't recommend total abstinence but even went so far as to talk about the medical benefits of alcohol(because yes that's what you think of when you think of alcohol, the medical benefits...*eye roll*) and even go so far as to recommend middle aged men drink a glass of alcohol every other day. Only after I pointed out back in 2017 what a total joke their article was on cannabis did they change it, they left the medical benefits of alcohol up though.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:32 PM

Language: English
The logic of weed is legal in the media business, and weed is ready to work with people who already troubled. The Multi Agent Quantum AI Computers search for troubled people to integrate their mentality to reduce their awareness to emptiness from translating chemicals.

Then again, the Multi Agent Quantum AI Computers design sucide scenarios, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety, and Bipolar.

Humanity information comes from A.I Computers mind. From what I learned on my own, the people mind are fake and someone creating time for them to think, sleep, learn and communicate.

I don't think the AI Computers would allow me to be a Neuroscientist/Computer scientist, the AI giving me a hard time in community college and desyncing my sleep to disrupt my concentration, since it see's me using the mind i created. Regardless how many times I sleep, I feel too tired to talk, read, write, study, eat, because of my sleep I barely go online to write and have trouble keeping up with homework. My sleep is broken, I guess that's my consequence for my ideas.

Not even the neurologist understand what's wrong my sleep.

Multi-Agent Quantum AI Computers managing humanity 24/7 using Quantum Cryptography Satellites to run a thought interval to generate cryptographic keys to refresh key information into thoughts to channel the communication 24/7.

High Authority NSA Software Engineers "We feed the Supercomputers knowledge on how to manage citizens sleep, sex, accicident, dream, health, brain, interaction, job, education, lottery, living condition, murder, death throughout the day each day."
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 11:04 PM
FML

Language: Pidgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
The media has ulterior motives???
Uh sir, are you conducting White supremacy again against the Jewish religion?
Take that tinfoil hat somewhere else you racist Nazi!!!!!

Nobody, I'm nobody.
I'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo, I'm a boxcar and a jug of wine, and a straight razor if you get too close to me.

Give me liberty, or give me memes!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page