Why are female burglers/muggers so rare? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Why are female burglers/muggers so rare?

I know that the overwhelming majority of criminals are male. It makes sense why women would be less likely to commit violent acts (murders, rapes) as testosterone mostly drives these crimes and women have 10 to 20 times less.

What I can't understand is why they don't commit burglaries/muggings as much as men. These are relatively simple crimes. I know many junkies in my area frequently rob womens purses, but surprisingly, the vast majority are still men. I don't see why female junkies or women desperate for money resort to muggings like men do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 01:50 PM
Failure's Art

Well I think most women who are that desperate tend to become illicit sex workers instead. Additionally, I'm sure testosterone levels would also explain why men are brazen enough to burglarize homes or businesses and women less likely to commit those sorts of crimes.

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 02:07 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
yeah prostitutes + gender roles/expectations/etc. and it's also an option to have children and then be supported by the state (or a partner or family or whatever). also men in vulnerable circumstances get used by having them steal but I guess more likely for women or gay men to be used for sex - so yeah more gender roles.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 02:49 PM
SAS Member

I read somewhere that up to 90% of inmates in women's prisons are there on drug-related charges (possession, selling, what have you), and very few for violent crime. I won't speculate why this is, but I find it interesting nonetheless.
To answer your original question, maybe some of it has to do with just physical strength? If a guy picks a fight with someone, any random person, I feel like his odds of being able to physically overpower that person are greater than if a woman was trying to pick a fight with someone. I'm a woman, and a fairly small one at that. I feel like, even if I was an addict and desperate for drugs, I still wouldn't want to run the risk of angering someone who could break me in half over their knee. (Which, considering I weigh 120 pounds soaking wet, is probably a fair number of people.)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Alien

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I think there are more female shoplifters and kleptomania is more common in women but mugging someone still requires the capacity to threaten physical violence.

Anyway violent crime committed by women has been increasing for about three decades actually:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ime-rates-rise

Quote:
Men commit more crimes than women do. A lot more. This holds true over time and across cultures. In America, the incarceration capital of the world (more than 2 million detainees), males comprise 93% of the prison population. Men also account for 73% of all arrests and 80% of those charged with violent crimes. This disparity between the sexes is particularly stark when it comes to murder: 90% of the time, the ones who do the killing are men.

All these numbers add up to what criminologists call the “gender gap”. But read enough academic journals and government crime reports, and some curious facts emerge: while crime rates in the western world have steadily declined over the past three decades, the number of young women being convicted for violent crimes in some western countries has increased significantly; law enforcement records indicate the opposite is true for their male counterparts. In other words, the gender gap is closing.

In some UK cities, the number of female arrests increased by 50% from 2015 to 2016. That’s more than a blip. A 2017 report by the Institute For Criminal Policy Research at Birkbeck, University of London came up with this sobering data point: the global female prison population has surged by more than half since the turn of the century, while the male prison population increased by just a fifth over that same period. Women and girls may account for only 7% of all incarcerated people today, but their numbers are now growing at a much faster rate than at any time in recorded history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Mad Scientist

Muggings are very confrontational and can easily escalate into violence, especially if a physically smaller person is the one threatening you. There is an implication of potential violence when you're mugging someone, thinking muggings are "simple" is not true. Antisocial behavior expresses itself differently in women though, I'm sure there are papers you can read about it.

super chill and mentally ill.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 01:40 PM
bipolar

Testosterone maybe? Only time I was robbed in person was by a ladyboy/transexual up in Bali. Very early in the morning and I guess she'd had a slow night the night before and needed to boost her earnings a bit. Saw a silly old bugger walking down to the beach with his wallet clearly visible in the back pocket of his shorts.

I was actually very impressed with the skill involved - just distraction. I didn't feel a thing. She got back on that little scooter pretty fast though when she saw me running towards her. I really wanted to kick her arse - testosterone or not.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 04:52 PM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Women desperate for money sell sex.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 02:00 AM
Alien

I think it's probably the less machiavellian and more impulsive antisocial people who get caught and make up crime statistics. Male criminals who are successful don't usually end up in prison and we don't usually call them criminals. Antisocial women also get away with a lot.

This kind of makes me lol because no behavioural crime for women is mentioned here:

Quote:
In data from the early 1980s (Robins et al., 1991) men with DSM–III ASPD were more likely to have a history of multiple traffic offenses and arrests, whereas females with ASPD were more likely to have had multiple sexual partners. Among more recent clinical (Goldstein et al., 1996) and community (Mikulich-Gilbertson, Salomonsen-Sautel, Sakai, & Booth, 2007) samples of individuals with ASPD and comorbid substance use disorders, data suggest that women are more likely to have run away from home, to be impulsive, and to lack remorse, whereas men are more likely to report aggressive behaviors such as initiating fights, using weapons, being cruel to animals, setting fires, and meeting the criterion of reckless disregard for safety of others. Since previous research has relied on localized and small samples of drug users limiting the generalization of its findings, examination of sex differences in antisocial behavior and ASPD criteria in a general population sample of ASPD individuals is warranted.
We don't tend to criminalise female antisocial behaviour though, like psychological abuse. I think a woman was arrested a while ago for goading someone into suicide, and responses to that were quite mixed.

Quote:
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 02:58 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
We don't tend to criminalise female antisocial behaviour though, like psychological abuse. I think a woman was arrested a while ago for goading someone into suicide, and responses to that were quite mixed.
I think much of it ends up directed at their children. Many women have their children taken away from them. Like my ASPD sister (multiple children). She's also taken a weapon to work (to threaten someone), filed false police reports, and done a bunch of other stuff (lying on tax returns, shoplifting, etc.). She's not violent, but she'll say absolutely anything with no remorse whatsoever, so she's dangerous from a false accusation perspective.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 05:43 AM
Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I think much of it ends up directed at their children. Many women have their children taken away from them. Like my ASPD sister (multiple children). She's also taken a weapon to work (to threaten someone), filed false police reports, and done a bunch of other stuff (lying on tax returns, shoplifting, etc.). She's not violent, but she'll say absolutely anything with no remorse whatsoever, so she's dangerous from a false accusation perspective.
Yeah I think that happens a lot. I noticed the last prolific female killer in the UK who was diagnosed with BPD and ASPD had children that were in the custody of the dad before she went on a killing spree, though I'm not sure if that's because she just ran off impulsively or some other reason. Although curiously when carrying out her crimes she specifically mentioned not wanting to kill women especially those with children, and only wanted to kill men but that's not really typical because that's at the extreme end of female psychopathic behaviour in the first place, but people with ASPD usually want dominance over others and men project more dominance on average so there's that. I think most use non violent methods to achieve dominance though, her crimes also seemed somewhat sexually motivated to me but that's another thing. At one point she also sought out dog walkers and there was a male killer here who did the same thing last year.

The girl I used to know with antisocial traits was more manipulative than anything else, although she did at a young age used to dig her nails into my skin to try and get me to do what she wanted and also sometimes hit people including me once and this one guy when she got frustrated but it was kind of a pathetic attempt. I don't know what she's up to now, and don't want to.

Quote:

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 03:37 PM
SAS Member

I think women are more likely to be pickpockets. Though I do know a woman who was robbed by two other women in a rest strop bathroom.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 07:20 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: French/English
Because they get away with it...

Bad taste's joke apart, I agree that women can turn to, offering sexual favors for cash.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 07:55 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
Maybe they're just better at it, so they rarely get caught or identified.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 08:16 PM
Permanently Banned

There are a lot of them in woman's prisons and jail too, but is there really fewer than men, legally? Just psychologically curious now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page