What is the quickest way you've seen someone ruin their life? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What is the quickest way you've seen someone ruin their life?

I know three people that were relatively successful (accountant, lawyer, nurse) and have nothing/very little. All of them involve drug use. Two of them got addicted, fired from their jobs then ended up homeless.

The last guy who was a lawyer didn't get addicted. He was taking coke and things were going fine until he took too much once, stayed up and then went to a party. Long story, short, he got agitated and then assaulted someone brutally. He was set to do a Masters in Law (already had a Bachelors) but got a suspended sentence here in Ireland which ****ed his career prospects. Now he's working at Tesco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 09:48 AM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I don't know of anyone who started off successful and then ruined their life. Someone in my brother's class at school went to prison for murder/shooting someone in a drug related incident but it's not like that guy ever had any prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 09:55 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
I have generally not known too many people who were successful (successful people are allergic to people like me).

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:08 PM
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I've seen it. It's always drug use.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:11 PM
😷

My Mood: Angelic
Drive too fast for the conditions, then splat : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni-slash View Post
Mind elaborating?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 01:58 PM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finolamartin1999 View Post
Mind elaborating?
I have a family member who is in his late 30s. He's been clean for a while but his criminal history as well as the massive debt from loans he took to support his drug use make it almost impossible for him to get out of the hole he's in. He's still living with his mother, no education, criminal history on top of debt he'll never be able to pay off in his lifetime -- plus he has a son. He has serious mental issues but is denied therapy because he always shows up under the influence.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 02:42 PM
Barbells and kittens

I used to have an older friend that was somewhat successful and got into a car accident and was prescribed Oxycontin. He taught school, coached basketball, and owned a small business. After the accident he got really addicted to pain pills. Quit working, sold his business, later sold his house and moved into government housing. He fell down the stairs while pilled out and busted out all his front teeth. Went from being normal weight to extremely overweight over the years. Died at 51 a few years back.

Also my stepdad's uncle, who was a doctor also got addicted to Oxycontin. He ended up going to federal prison over writing prescriptions that would get back to him one way or another. He lost his license and was a dishwasher for awhile. But there was a big lawsuit against the company that made Oxycontin and he got several million out of it. As far as I know he's doing okay now. Most of the family doesn't speak to him anymore over something I don't really know the details of. I never knew him well anyway.

Not exactly the same, but my stepdad had a friend that was a very successful business owner that was a functional alcoholic. He got really drunk on New Year's and fell down the stairs at his house. Broke his neck and spent over a year in the hospital before eventually dying from complications.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 04:15 PM
bipolar

The only person I know that ruined his life is an alcoholic. He had an apprehended violence order taken out against him by his own son - and his ex-wife hates him. As far as I know he's still in the process of drinking himself to death, although I only hear about him through a mutual friend.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2020, 05:03 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 08:45 AM
😷

My Mood: Angelic
I noticed some mentioned alcoholics/drug addicts , I've known a few alcoholics over the years, between family & the wider community & I even worked in the drinks industry for a while (I might even be one myself, an expert would probably say yes )

I've talked to those in the end stages of it first hand on the street, homeless & dying & in general I wouldn't say its a quick way of ruining your life it usually takes 10 or 20 years.

And most of them if you talk to them it's not the alcohol that ruined their life, it's what caused them to start drinking heavily in the first place, poor mental health understanding or support & an easy way out.

Not sure if drugs are the same, nor are all causes the same, but we should always approach things like that with an understanding open mind, not a prejudiced judgemental one.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 09:27 AM
insert witty comment here

I know a woman that got a great government job (at the ministry of health, excellent career prospects). She lied her way in, she massively overstated her statistics skills. She should have been able to handle complex medical analyses as she took multiple semesters of statistics at University. Unfortunately, she never really listened during lectures.

Long story short, her new colleagues soon realized how little she actually knew. Her superiors gave her time to brush up on her skills. And she did. Just a little though (she did the absolute minimum, just like at University). Last time I saw her, she told me that they had let her go. She is now working as an admin person at a local health clinic.

She started at the ministry. Now she sorts files at a local clinic.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 10:15 AM
SAS Member

Post on twitter
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 10:20 AM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
idk if a life can be ruined. but yeah I guess spending the rest of your days in prison would suck, or being known as a sex offender etc. and addiction like people said. I suppose some things wont let you go and theres not much you can do to get it off you. everyone is going to suffer and die anyway though.

but anyway, personally i haven't really known anyone that ruined their lives spectacularly. slowly and mediocrely yes, my parents and myself by ways of isolation.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 04:18 PM
insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbianw0lf View Post
Post on twitter

True.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 05:29 PM
Failure's Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni-slash View Post

Yea this. I've known 2 people who died from drugs. One overdosed and the other got high and then passed out and drowned. And there was this dude in college who ended up addicted to meth and lost most of this teeth.

Always drugs.

too scared to live; too scared to die
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 05:26 AM
Mattie Sanstheworld

I knew of a guy who 'allegedly' went to Syria. (He just disappeared one day)

He was very successful, and had a great career path.

It always amuses me how smart people can be so dumb and gullible. Some of the most gullible people I've seen in my life would definitely score higher than me in an IQ test, yet their vision of the world is so cartoony, it makes question my own sanity. Am I even alive? Or is this some kind of sh*** simulation universe designed to frustrate me?

It also makes me question people's sanity. Like who's sanity might be slowly unraveling with no one noticing.

Mucus is a living thing you know
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 05:55 AM
Discord all the way

Wow this thread question is negative.

Sent from Nelly's iphone using Tapatalk
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 09:17 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Just yesterday the guy I was working with got a call from his kid's school telling him his kid was being un-enrolled because he's missed more than 10 days of online schooling.

Instead of being an adult, he started cursing at her and then went on a rant about Oregon's lockdown policies. He then said "**** your stupid online school bull****, you're turning my kids into retards" and then hung up on her.

I don't think he understands that he can be charged with a crime for willingly withholding his kids from school and can even have his kids taken away for this kind of behavior. Especially since I'm sure he pissed of that school employee enough to report him.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 10:12 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
I don't know about quick, but guess slower and sure ways are gambling, alcoholism and heavy drug addictions.

I saw many people ruin their life that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbianw0lf View Post
Post on twitter

haha!

What is a man?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page