What do you think of plastic surgery? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic

What do you think of plastic surgery?

You only live once, so if you have the money and don't like the way you look, why not? My only concern would be my family might think less of me if I ever did this.

Some people have said that you're erasing your ethnicity if you do.... does that really matter?

Just something I've been thinking about lately, and I've been seeing posts on people not liking the way they look.

To succeed in the world, it is much more necessary to possess the penetration to discern who is a fool, than to discover who is a clever man. -Talleyrand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great. View Post
You only live once, so if you have the money and don't like the way you look, why not?
Then people say atheism doesn't lead to decadence. lulz.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM
dax
Losing Ground

I want it. But I'm scared the doctor would **** up and I'd look like a freak.

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Too School for Cool

I have to be honest about this, I am against the idea of plastic surgery.

Reconstructive surgery or surgery that alters your appearance for some sort of medical reason aside, I just completely disagree with the idea of someone getting plastic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons. Again I'm not talking extreme cases, but the general "I wish my [insert body part] was [bigger/smaller/higher...] so I will get plastic surgery so I feel more attractive" concept. I think it's a misrepresentation of ones self. I mean I see how it could improve ones self confidence because we all have parts of our body we don't like, and if it only affected the person who chose to get it I would say knock yourself out. But like it or not, we live in a society where physical appearance matters and in that way I see it almost as cheating, for lack of a better word.

People notice if you're beautiful, or have large yet amazingly perky breasts, or that cute little nose. You get the recognition for it, but they are not your original breasts, nose, or what have you. I don't think it's fair. Other women may be jealous of that trait, men might be attracted to you because of that trait (or vica versa), but it is not the trait that you truly poseses. You might be known as the girl with that smokin bod, but it's NOT your bod, it's just the liposuction. It's not a truthful representation. And yes I know most people do SOMETHING to put their physical appearance in a more positive light, from makeup to lazer treatments to personal trainers, but I see the step of actually going under the knife as just one step too far because it can lead to such drastic changes.

If I'm admiring a trait on someone and I find out it has been altered by plastic surgery, I no longer find it beautiful. The women with that amazing face just...doesn't apply to my view of beauty anymore if I find out her nose is redone. Not that I would find her suddenly ugly, just, her appearance becomes neutral. If I was making a list of women with amazing noses she just would be removed from it.

Yes I'm sure this view will not be appreciated by most, particularily those who have had cosmetic surgery. I hope that for everyone who has had plastic surgery, it has given them more confidence and are content with their decision. I just feel that everyone has physical flaws, and those that have the means/desire to have surgery shouldn't be suddenly exempt to having to deal with theirs.

- I'mma be the syrup she can be my waffle.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM
SAS Member

I'd get it if I had the money. I'd enjoy being less weird looking thats for sure.
About plastic surgery erasing ethnicity, I've never heard that one? I know my grandmother a very long time ago got the "asian eye" surgery. Where it basically changes the shape of the eye to make asian eyes look more rounded and caucasian. I thought that was the weirdest thing I've ever seen but its pretty popular or was at least.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Frostie

I wouldn't get plastic surgery. I find it very obvious when people have gotten face lifts, breast implants, botox injections etc. Most people look worse after plastic surgery. The technology hasn't reached the point yet where they can do a convincing job.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post
I think it's a misrepresentation of ones self. I mean I see how it could improve ones self confidence because we all have parts of our body we don't like, and if it only affected the person who chose to get it I would say knock yourself out. But like it or not, we live in a society where physical appearance matters and in that way I see it almost as cheating, for lack of a better word.
It is precisely because we live in a society where appearance matters that plastic surgery seems ok to me. Is having good genes not some sort of cheating too? A good looking person did nothing to deserve good looks. It seems that many attractive people think they are somehow more deserving of the way they are. Affording plastic surgery is going to take some hard work while being born good looking is a free ride.

To succeed in the world, it is much more necessary to possess the penetration to discern who is a fool, than to discover who is a clever man. -Talleyrand
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 PM
dax
Losing Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariahgirl View Post
I know my grandmother a very long time ago got the "asian eye" surgery. Where it basically changes the shape of the eye to make asian eyes look more rounded and caucasian. I thought that was the weirdest thing I've ever seen but its pretty popular or was at least.
Ah, thats horrible, Asian eyes are the best!

Quote:
It is precisely because we live in a society where appearance matters that plastic surgery seems ok to me. Is having good genes not some sort of cheating too? A good looking person did nothing to deserve good looks. It seems that many attractive people think they are somehow more deserving of the way they are. Affording plastic surgery is going to take some hard work while being born good looking is a free ride.
I agree. I just want to feel more self-confident and don't want to be a negative outlier. I just want to feel normal like everyone else does. Like they were born. Why would wanting that to happen be wrong?

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
SAS Member

altering your body is nothing new. But if in the 21st century all we care about is outward appearances, than we're still no better than the African bushmen, Samoans, or the Aztecs, despite all our "progress".

personally, I think plastic surgery is like erasing a little bit of yourself. The traits you got from your mother, father, grandparents are erased. In its stead you get some feature out of a catalogue, or template or something. Not very unique.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Frostie

Quote:
Please, lose the chip on your shoulder. People are born into much worse things than having a big nose, less than ideal height or not perfectly symmetrical features. Yet many of these people manage to make something of themselves, anway. Harboring grievance like this will make you ugly, inside and out.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Too School for Cool

Great I think that's a pretty common view, and I definitely see how it is appealing. I totally agree with you in that being good looking can be totally random, lots of people do nothing and are gorgeous. Others work hard at the gym and fight to keep off every pound. It can be really really unfair, definitely. Some traits like weight we can control, other things like the bump in our nose we're stuck with.

That surprisingly doesn't bother me as much as certain people jumping the cue with cosmetic surgery though. This whole unfairness of lucking into good looks affects everyone: we're all in the same boat with at least some of our appearance decided by genetics and some people who are more attractive than others. It sucks, but that's life. All flaws are workable. We all have them, and we can all make them work. Only some people use surgery to beat the house though, others put up with, deal with, and ideally accept their flaws. Why should some people have their physical flaws just disappear overnight when some deal with them their whole lives?

You could work a long time and never afford plastic surgery, it isn't an option available to everyone. That's what bugs me I think, it's not an option that is open to everyone. Most people can afford some foundation if they wanted, and it's hugely common. Everyone can go running or lift weights, we're supposed to for our health. But surgery costs thousands of dollars, not everyone can have it, and it can alter your appearance more than all beauty regimens combined. Everyone has the risk of inheriting a bumpy nose or small chest, but only some people want/chose to change the cards they were dealt. Everyone has a first chance, but plastic surgery gives people two, three, or four. I just don't agree with it. In terms of being judged on your physical appearance, it's an unfair advantage.

- I'mma be the syrup she can be my waffle.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post
You could work a long time and never afford plastic surgery, it isn't an option available to everyone. That's what bugs me I think, it's not an option that is open to everyone.
That's the same with a lot of things though. Things like owning a car, taking vacations, eating organic..... aren't options. Intelligence/doing well in school - some can afford a tutor some can't, and some will be able to afford private school. I could go on but why is plastic surgery different? there are a lot of things not available to everyone. Why isn't plastic surgery just another luxury that can be earned through work?

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Frostie View Post
Please, lose the chip on your shoulder. People are born into much worse things than having a big nose, less than ideal height or not perfectly symmetrical features. Yet many of these people manage to make something of themselves, anway. Harboring grievance like this will make you ugly, inside and out.
um....I don't see how saying that good looks aren't earned means I have a chip on my shoulder.

Yeah, there are worse things than a strange nose. But why isn't plastic surgery treated like any other luxury?

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
I'd probably get some done if I could. I wouldn't do anything major or anything to please other people.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 AM
SAS Member

Plastic surgery is a good thing for people who were disfigured by an accident or disease. I don't think it improves the look of people who already look fine, unless you want to look like an anthropomorphic cat person.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:30 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I'm neither for nor against plastic surgery for cosmetic reasons. I think its wise to look carefully at the risks involved in any elective surgery, however "minor". Its also important to know what you expect to get from it.

I've never had cosmetic surgery, but I lost about 25 pounds when I was 19, clearly believing that the weight loss would transform me and my life. I went from being a pudgy, socially anxious guy with no plans and no social skills, to a ripped, socially anxious guy with no plans and no social skills. No transformation. The next few years were terrible, and my unrealistic expectations, not the weight loss, were to blame.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Inactive - User Requested

I think if I had the money I'd change a couple of things. But like Dax mentioned, I'd be afraid the doctor would screw it up. I think some people go overboard though, when they spend tens of thousands of dollars on different surgeries, and then end up looking like they belong in a house of horrors.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Neue Nihilist

Only if I've suffered some kind of injury or disease which affects the way my face looks would I consider plastic surgery. I know I'm not naturally gifted in the looks department, but I think I look decent and I'd rather make the most of what I have. If I changed the way my face looked, it might drive me insane because I'd no longer look like myself. And I kind of like myself. Sometimes anyway.

Besides, Great, I've seen your photo and I think you've got an attractive face. Assuming that's what you wanted to change, I think it would be a mistake. You have nice features that you shouldn't mess with.

Open up, it's the FBI Police! I'm Special Agent Detective Sargent Doctor Trenchcoat, and this is my partner The Right Honorable Professor Judge Captain Snake!
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Call Me !!!!

Each to their own or sumfin.

A subtle change can dramatically improve a persons confidence but yeah overdoing it kinda leads to the melted candle look i guess.

Keep it simple
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Permanently Banned

I think insecurities about your looks is the worst possible reason to do a cosmetic surgery, ask Jocelyn Wildenstein

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page